More outdoor maps?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
C

Cunubelin

I haven't seen too many outdoor maps except unless they've been nightops or cramped canyonic deathtraps.

Deathfields has been THE map lately but it too is getting kinda, well, old but the style of the map is great! It's broad daylight and the game flows nicely back and forth.

Had I known anything about mapmaking I'd be making some maps like that myself...

Two maps I like (call me a jerk if you like /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif)
INF_DMHillbase Great fun if you know how to aim the HK-69 just right /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

INF_Deathfields as explained above

------------------
Make Love Not War!
Ban ALL guns!
hehehe

V

Vampyro

CTF_Hillbase was THE best map for Unreal Infiltration. If I knew how to make maps, I too would make huge outdoor maps, like in my previous favorite game, TRIBES.
(yeah I know, tsk tsk)

B

Billdog

It isn't that hard to make maps, and with practice they will even be good /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif You got all the tools needed with UT, and your PC.

------------------
-> New on the board? Kick this!
-> Editor trouble? Kick this!

D

disturbed

I just recently got into mapmaking on my Mac. You may ask, "How do you make maps on a Mac if there are no editors for it?" It is an extremely slow and tedious process involving installing a borrowed PC version of Unreal on my Wintel emulator and making the maps in the emulator. The process is tediously slow especially when the 3D view is showing more than about 40 polygons at once. As you would imagine my maps would run fairly fast on slower machines.

Anyway, if you plan on doing outdoor type maps have an external editor handy that can export to .3DS files. UnrealEd's interface for creating natural landscapes is a bit lacking. Just don't get carried away with making it too detailed. If you haven't already, read my editorial on Infiltration maps. It should help you produce an outdoor map that doesn't suck.

Not everyone has a TNT2.

- Jon Merriman

V

Vampyro

As a matter of fact, I made my first map today /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. It is only a corridor, but it's a big step for me /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

B

Billdog

To make good landscape maps the editor isn't enough. You need a modeler! That's right, all the fancy landscapes in unreal is build from imported brushes, made in a model program.

There are two kinds of mappers: The loot that starts with a room, and the few that starts with a corridor. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Disturbed: Try to avoid using the viewmodes above the line, remove the spare viewports, and never use simulated/realtime mode or play level.

------------------

R

RaekwoN

Natural terrain? You can't go past Terra edit, awesome program, real small too.

Get it at Unrealed.net I think.

B

Billdog

Terra Edit is a beta program that lets you make terrain like in D-strike, HillBase and Terrain. The up side is it's free and you don't have to buy a modeler to get a bit of life like terrain. The down side is that a modeler can do it better with 1/4 the polys.

Still interested? Here it is!

------------------