Violence??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lance201

Jan 31, 2000
Germany
Visit site
Hi,

I´ve just read in an germen newsgroup (www.heise.de) that military styled games are dangerous for younger people because may be they will become violent in real... . A more "comicstyle" FPS isn´t that much dangerous in this way... And Soldiers of Fortune will not be released in germany because of this reason. What do the inf-community think about that?? I always discuss this problem with my girlfirend becuse she also things that people shouldn´t play games where you shoot each other in a realistic way...

LCPL TWENTY

Dragon

Nov 12, 1999
VA. USA
dragondesigns.8m.com
I think it all comes down to morals and how you are raised. If you are raised right as a child you are not going to go out shoting people. I have played video games for almost 17 years and I have never killed anyone. So it's alot of bull, just raise your kid right and there is no problem.

------------------
People do not fear Dragons for thier Power, it's thier Wisdom
RealWorld maps reviewed by realworld players:
www.cablelink.com/realworld/

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
I believe it's the parent's responsibility to gauge their child's physchological profile to see whether they're suceptable to violence.

I've been playing violent games since I was 9, however I'm not a crazed teen murderer. My 7-year old cousin on the other hand, plays playstation games like they are his life. So I'm keeping a close eye on him.

But such a generalisation is idiotic. Whether they're action figures, cartoons or games, every child is exposed to the same level of military psyke at one point or the other.

I know several young Rainbow6 players who want to join the military so they can protect their country(ies).

If anyone is to blame for the violence, it's the parents who don't moniter the upbringing of their children. So the parents of the trenchcoat mafia can take they're lawsuits, stick them up their a$$e$ and shut their holes.

Before pointing at other people, check how much dirt is under your own nails.

Lance201

Jan 31, 2000
Germany
Visit site
Hi Inf-Neo,

it´s not the question if it will be available in Germany (Heroin is also "available"), it´s a matter if it will be official released and it won´t!!

LCPL TWENTY

MiscMan

The Grand Elitist
Dec 24, 1999
Not living in Germany, I wouldn't know. But violent games are simply outlets to kill things in a nonviolent way. Just like hunting(doesnt kill people at least, keeps down deer population too) and most sports. I agreeable, erm, agree with shakken.

If you ask me i think violence that isn't glamorized shouldn't need a rating or what not. In fact, sheltering children is a disgrace if you ask me. I think it is better to kill programs than killing real people.

When it comes down to it, someone who plays games his/her whole life prolly won't have the nerve or idiocy to kill someone.

Waxx

Ultralight pilot
Oct 2, 1999
Ohio, USA
Visit site
Oh come on. I'm twelve years old and I LOVE guns! (they fascinate me) Do you REALLY think that if I shoot someone with an M9 online, I'm going to go out and buy an M9 and shoot someone? THOSE AREN'T REAL PEOPLE! THEY'RE PIXELS! THE GUNS AREN'T REAL (in the game), THE CHARACTERS AREN'T REAL, NOTHING ABOUT UT IS REAL! It's inside a computer, not in the real world. I admit, some people find it disturbing. Does that mean they have to play it? NO! The reason these people don't want violent games is they only care about themselves, not the other people who enjoy games like this. It is their problem, not ours. (sorry 'bout the rant, but this is the off-topic section)

Billdog

Aug 7, 1999
Denmark
I find that Infiltration have a redeeming property: The goal ain't headless bloody shooting like most FPS, but to survive the game.

deathren

Dusty ****er.
Nov 26, 1999
Anchorage, Alaska
i do agree! I think it is the way the parents well um, Jeez i just cant find a word for that.

But i think, If a child plays a shooting game, and blasts PIXELS It deosnt effect them UNLESS Their parents dont treach them whats right! Heck, I shoot those bots up all day! and I think war, murder, and all that SUCKS! I would kill myself before i killed someone else! I play Army W/ my friends, iu play unreal/tribes and so on online! have i ever wanted to kill someone? NO

------------------
"The world ended when man was created"
-deathren

deathren

Dusty ****er.
Nov 26, 1999
Anchorage, Alaska
Heck! Id just LOVE to shoot the person that thinks violent Tv/Games/toys ETC reffect kids! (I am Just kiiding about the shoot da person part, But i would like to chemw them out, You kmnow, Give em a peice of my mind!)
I would NEVER shoot ANHYTHING! (Well, It would be nice to nuke a mosquito with an AT4... but thats overkill! Ill settle with the flyswatter)

I have A Quadrillion toy guns at home, I have shoot up games up the ying yang! Humpfh. I just think these people who want to actually BAN these games from use are screwed up in the head...
Heck, My mom's favorate game is EverQuest! Go an' play that, be a trooll! There are didmembered dwarves all over the place!
and dont even get me started on those people who are P.O. ed at the harry potter books...

Waxx

Ultralight pilot
Oct 2, 1999
Ohio, USA
Visit site
No, you want to know what really sucks here? I'm a big military guy, and I always dress up as a soldier for halloween. Now, thanks to mister Dylan Klebold, eric Harris, and big mister liberal democrat, I can't find any realistic toy guns in the area! I don't know about you guys, but it really sucks here. Not even Toys-R-Us has one!

deathren

Dusty ****er.
Nov 26, 1999
Anchorage, Alaska
I can beleive ya, Waxx, But the Freddie Myeres down here where I live has a cool 45 acp pistol (Toy) for sale, spray it black, looks kewl.

Hey, mabye you could talk your dad into getting you an AT4 or somfin. /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

------------------
"The world ended when man was created"
-deathren

To me, the whole idea of blaming FPSs on all the problems of the world is a bunch of bull shiznit. I have been playing games like Wolfenstein, Doom and nearly any other FPS you can name since I was 5, and never have I had the urge to kill someone, let alone SHOOT them. Sorry, I just kind rant on topics like these.

Loki

Oct 7, 1999
Ottawa/Ontairo/Canada
Visit site
People have to blame someone. But they wont blame themselves for screwing up if their kid/friend, goes on a rampage.
It also depends on how things fall into place for the kid/person (teasing, harasment, ect) NOT just games

------------------
- Loki