INF dev team has to check out firearms

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Derek

Feb 1, 2000
FL, USA
Visit site
I mean, at first, I was thinking it was some sort of Counterstrike rip-off, but when you get down to it, its quite a different experience.

Was first got me was the animations and modeling, you can see the fire selection tabs things on all the guns, every time you reload is a treat, especially for the m16+m203, I love the grenade launcher reload, and they way the guy slaps the forward assist after he inserts a fresh clip.

The sounds are also above average, before, I didn't think sounds made too much of a difference, but in reality, the sounds play an important role in making the guns "fun" to shoot.

Also, I thought that the ROF's in firearms were very accurate, I mean, m16 clips empty out in a blink of an eye, and the PSG is actually semi-auto.

Damn, I like firearms, but I need INF to be better. It will be better right?

farrp

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
You're right about Firearms, wow!! And just thing, INF is probably going to be better than that. (V3) I hope so anyhow. It should be since the UT engine is all around better than HL's. Anyhow, i'll probably be playing it until INF 2.8 comes out.

Breydel

It was kind of fun yes. And for a first release a whole less buggier than our beloved Strike-Force /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But I like Counter-Strike more than Firearms. Not specifically for the gameplay but for the weapon models and sounds. I'll be playing that until Infiltration 2.8 comes out.

WHY

Jan 15, 2000
Visit site
I've been trying forever to DL Firearms, but all I seem to ghet are dead mirrors, and a 28MB non-working .EXE file

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
That AVI is hilarious!

First, he sticks in M4 the clip that defies gravity and slaps it in when in real life it would have ended up at his feet.

And then he PULLS the FORWARD ASSIST! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! God this shit is funny!

And to top it off, he doesnt even release the bolt so effectively the gun is absolutely useless!

CoffeyCan

Real Maps Coordinator
The other issue is that the AVI is taken from some animation proggie, while it looks good now, the quality will seriosly degrade upon input into the game engine, and its not engine based, all games take a hit..so when you see it in game, dont expect that AVI...
CC

------------------
RealMaps Site Coordinator
Want to be an Infiltrator? Get the goods at:
http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/

Gryphon

Apr 2, 2000
I agree with ShakKen, I watched the video and cracked up when I saw the hand yank the FORWARD ASSIST to charge the gun! That's one strong soldier to pull that FA straight out of the receiver. Also notice how the mag release isn't touched; the magazine is simply ripped from the mag well. Yup, one strong soldier there! /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

------------------
Gryphon
Technical Advisor
i n f i l t r a t i o n
http://www.planetunreal.com/infiltration

Read the Roadmap and the FAQ.
Get the latest scoop on Inf munitions here.

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Gooseman is a brilliant modeller and an awesome animator. But his knowledge of firearms is... rather sad. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
When I got my Airsoft M4A1, and showed it to my friend, he did the damndest thing with it... he immediately yanked out the forward assist. It just popped out, but after finding the spring that followed it and jamming it back in, it was fine. In the airsoft version it serves no purpose, it just lets you push forward and the spring pushes it back out, it's just cosmetics. The charging handle pulls back and pulls a dust guard out of the way so you can access the hop-up adjuster (hop up is the backspin put on the pellet, to up the distance it can stay up at a good trajectory- like golf). Is there an older AR-15 variant that charges with a knob located where the forward assist is now? If not, what the hell made ppl think it operated this way??? This was long before this animation was made, so I'm thinking my friend and Gooseman saw the same thing on TV or a movie...

[This message has been edited by DeadeyeDan[ToA] (edited 05-04-2000).]

Catalyst

science begets death
Jul 18, 1999
CA, USA
I had an airsoft M16 that had the same fake forward assist, but now the thing is useless because a plastic piece to pull back the spring inside the receiver broke off, so now the charging handle just slides in and out freely, and the gun obviously won't fire. $150 down the drain. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif