PDA

View Full Version : My new cable modem

Keiichi
5th May 2000, 09:32 PM
My cable modem was finally installed today. 120Kbps! It took me about 15 minutes to download a 65Mb file. Life is good. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Keiichi

------------------
If the past is an idea that can only occur in the here-and-now, and the future is also just a concept happening strictly in the present, is there really a past and future? Or just a continuum of present moments?

Bad.Mojo
5th May 2000, 11:48 PM
Haha. I gotcha beat by 180 kbps! =) Personally I can't wait until Rogers@HOME upgrades to the ten meg routers.

Eliwar
6th May 2000, 12:15 AM
Got you all beat! I managed a 300kps for about a half hour once and regularly get 200kps :P

------------------
What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?!!
Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough
attention when you were a child?!!!
*BANG* -FMJ

[This message has been edited by Darkliege (edited 05-05-2000).]

geogob
6th May 2000, 12:38 AM
Same as me! I did about 300 - 325 kbps a few days ago... also normaly around 200 kbps.

Have fun with your new toy Keiichi!

------------------
--------------- Geogob --------------
Don't let your brain get infiltrated!

Keiichi
6th May 2000, 05:08 AM
Geez. Way to ruin my moment guys... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Keiichi

------------------
If the past is an idea that can only occur in the here-and-now, and the future is also just a concept happening strictly in the present, is there really a past and future? Or just a continuum of present moments?

Waxx
6th May 2000, 12:21 PM
This might sound dumb, but is it possible to get a cable modem with a satellite dish?

------------------
Go to.....
http://www.inffansite.homestead.com/INFfansite1.html FOR THE INF FANSITE!

INF_Neo
7th May 2000, 01:05 PM
Guess what. You cannot get cable in Germany. I have ISDN rates of about 7.4K, but I WANT A STELLITE CONNECTION!

Oitucrem
7th May 2000, 01:21 PM
Personally I have a manual modem. It works like this: I print out the data on a paper, call a cab, drive to the modem pool where I dump the papers into a mailbag sort of thing. After about an hour (for a two Mb file) I'm handed a new bunch of papers which I bring back home. Then I type in what's on the papers in Edit on my comp, wait for the computer to process the information, print out the results, call a new cab etc. I get about 1 bit/hour this way. Beat that if you can!

------------------
047 079 105 116 117 099 114 101 109

Andirez
7th May 2000, 01:52 PM
I'm there with you Neo, also having ISDN. Although 7 kb/s isn't that bad, it is really slow compared to those cable speeds...

------------------
Andirez - TeamDuck (http://go.to/teamduck)

-Lost-
7th May 2000, 11:34 PM
hmm...i'm on a t3 line here at school and it sucks. i get great ping, but not much in the way of throughput. i can get 1200kbps or so on campus, but the highest i ever got off the internet was about 100...generally 10kbps is my max. it seems to have seriously degraded over the year too, probably because the campus only uses 10mbps ethernet, rather than 100. hmm...

Lost