Gryphon, could you help me?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

neo.hast

Mar 22, 2000
Beaumont, Texas, US
Visit site
Since you ARE the all knowing Gryphon /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I decided I'd bring this question to you... And yes, this is pretty far off topic...
Ok, I've got an underfolding "Short AK-47" in .223 NATO and another in 7.62x39, and i was wondering if you know of anywhere i could find parts for them. I bought them as "cut-away" rifles (SMGs?) that had the reciever cut to satisfy the BATF, and they look like the Bulgarian kits that K-VAR sells, except these were UNDERfolders. The only bad thing about them (i got them for $335 a piece w/ 4 waffle mags, cleaning kit, stripper clips, sling, etc, etc...) is the company i that distibuted them here in the US, isn't in business anymore. So, no more spare parts. I know K-VAR DOES offer parts, but... Awful high for me.
The company also offered it in 9x19mm, WTF is up with that? I've been into Kalashnikov Rifle since i was 13 and I've never heard of that variation. Who knows. Anyways, any help (info on spare parts, my rifle, anything)would be appreciated, thx.
-neo.hast-

BTW: Happy birthday!

Gryphon

Apr 2, 2000
Hehe, thanks!

Hmm, the dominant commercial .223 AK variant is the Norinco one, and if that's what yours is, all Chinese and most European AK parts should fit it. Do you know for certain the manufacture of the rifles? That would help a lot, as not all AK parts are equal.

If you could tell me the markings on the selector, I may be able to identify them from that.

Gryphon
Technical Advisor
i n f i l t r a t i o n
http://www.planetunreal.com/infiltration

Read the Roadmap and the FAQ.
Get the latest scoop on Inf munitions here.

neo.hast

Mar 22, 2000
Beaumont, Texas, US
Visit site
Heh, slight problem...

Thing is, it's built like an AKSU-74, its title 2 and all. It has a regular run-of-the-mill 2 position selestor, only thing is, it's has NO markings. That's one of the reasons I can't get what it is. It was a kit (demilled gun, actually) that I threw on a Maadi preban rifle. It came with an underfolding stock, not a side-folder, tho. Its mystified the hell outta me. The thing came from the Netherlands, but only god knows where they got it... It does take the bulgarian waffle mags, like i said, it came w/ 4, and it has a 4-piece Krinvov flash hider like the one from K-VAR. It looks pretty much identical to what they were selling as "Krinkov" kits w/ the exception of the underfolder. It's confusing. All i need at the moment is a gas piston, and a rear sight/dustcover. K-VAR should have that, right?

neo.hast

Mar 22, 2000
Beaumont, Texas, US
Visit site
Believe me...

The conversion did cost me an arm/leg/eyeball/etc... A 7.62 reciever to feed 5.56. My local 'smith gutted me on the price. A little more than $300. But hey, it IS a great little gun. Maybe a Polytech piston? CRAP, the shorty takes a different sized one though, doesn't it? The barrels only about 13" w/ the comp. Who knows, I'll go to the local shop and see if they have one... It's worth a try.

neo.hast

Mar 22, 2000
Beaumont, Texas, US
Visit site
Ohhh crap, i can be so friggin stupid sometimes...

It was built on a Maadi reciever, so selector markings wouldn't help much. And beside that fact, they were absent from the gun, oddly enough. Nicest receiver i'd ever saw tho. Came off of a pre-89 gun. When i get my camera back, I'll send a pic or 2...

Katalyst

Jul 31, 2000
hey gryphon what would u suggest as a first time rifle (other than a .22). I thought about the mini-14 .223. What do u think? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Would depend on what you want to use the rifle for IMO.
My first was a 98 Mauser rifle, funny that I bought it to the bayonet I already had..
Following this one in more or less rapid succesion were 2 Enfield No.5 Carbines, 1 SMLE, a 92 model Winchester in 44-40 and, the pride of my sweet home: A L42 Sniper rifle.

Snakeye /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing

Katalyst

Jul 31, 2000
guns

I really just want something fun to shoot for right now. I'll just find things to shoot. lol /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

neo.hast

Mar 22, 2000
Beaumont, Texas, US
Visit site
To be completely honest...

I think an SKS or a Romanian SAR2 would be the best buys for the cash. Low-maintenance, cheap ammo, fairly accurate, unerringly reliable. I started out w/ a AR-15a2 (HBAR) and they're on par w/ it. Ok, maybe not, the AR will spank almost anything else i own, except my Springfield NM M1A, and that's just when you get over 450 or so yards. But FOR THE MONEY, ya can't beat a cheap CHICOM SKS or Romanian SAR2...

Gryphon

Apr 2, 2000
Yes. An SKS is an excellent starter's rifle. Very cheap on ammo, relatively accurate, very forgiving. You can fire these things all day long without cleaning them, and at $125/1000, you can afford it too. Everyone should own an SKS. My personal one is a Chinese Type 56, with spike bayonet and everything. It was my first rifle, purchased when my father was still a dealer. The rifle, a sling, oil bottle, cleaning kit, and bandoleer came out to just over CDN$74.00 (dealer pricing of course).

If one were torn between the Mini-14 and AR-15, no question the AR-15 is the right choice. Infinitely more versatile and user-friendly than the Mini, accessories and upgrades are limitless. Anything for the Mini is usually much more expensive, especially high-cap mags

Gryphon
Technical Advisor
i n f i l t r a t i o n
http://www.planetunreal.com/infiltration

Read the Roadmap and the FAQ.
Get the latest scoop on Inf munitions here.

neo.hast

Mar 22, 2000
Beaumont, Texas, US
Visit site
$125 for 1000 rds? I don't know why that shocks me. Down here we can get the old "Russian Sporting Ammunition" for about $80 for 1000. God bless the USA... Don't ya love it? *I wonder how much a nice apartment in Ontario'd set me back:)* And the AR-15 is most definately one of the best rifles out there, that's what i started with. Easy to shoot, easy to clean, easy to upgrade, just a tad bit high at the moment. I'd say go w/ a Bushmaster or a Colt right now, maybe a DPMS. The Mini-14 might be a reliable thing, but 3 MOA accuracy? Feh, My AR shot 3/4 MOA out of the box:) And who ever heard of paying $300 to rebarrel one. $80 barrel, $220 to stick a new one on it. for $300 you can buy a complete new upper. Okay, okay, i'm gonna stop raving, onci i start its hard to stop. Oh, and Gryph, mine was a Chinese 56 w/ the blade bayonet, i slapped a Combat Exchange Polymer stock on it and it turned into a dream. And i payed $75 for mine, w/ a bandolier of ammo. *sigh* the good 'ole days...

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Oh you lucky men over the great lake..
Here the only auto-rifle you can get is a .22, and even for that you have to take some hurdles. Glad that at least bolt action rifles are free in Austria - and since most Snipers prefer bolt-action..

Snakeye /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
(who still would sell his soul to satan for getting a M4 legally..hmm, if anybody of you is or knows satan, would that be a deal??)

anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing