Metal Gear Solid 1 (PC)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Liquid Night

Argumentative type.
May 18, 2000
Dublin
Anyone know anything about this game? Weapons, gameplay, controls etc? Is it worth getting? Anyone got a link to a decent review with some screenies?
Much obliged y'all (tips hat to fellow forum gents and selectively urinates on a few strange little fellows who appear to be giving each other enemas)

"Consistency is the last resort of the unimaginative" - Wilde.

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
yeah,it's worth it.

I bought it 2 days b4 it was supposed to be released. If you like the PSx version,you will love this one. Honestly,MSG for PSx was and is my fav game of all time. Now though,the limitations of the engine and the "arcade" kind of game feel it has(i.e. dead bodies disappear and health or ammo pops up in it's place)and the lack of the perfect controller,which is the PSx controller is what has made me not play it nearly as much as when I was a PSx nut. There are just too many games out now that show how inferior it is but at the time it was on PSx,it was the best thing around,in every way.
I would still recommend it just for the story and how fun it is. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
oh yeah

Here is a good link for a review. I just noticed that at the bottom of the page,9 readers gave it 9.2,and a lot of people don't vote at this site so I guess it is better than nothing. However,I would go with the editorial review myself. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BTW,there is a demo dl on that page and Zdnet is very very fast,I get like over 700k/sec with them. Check it out,that should give you a better idea if the game is worth it than a review will.

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
It rools, it kicks ass. And the keyboard pisses all over the console shamepad.

I've finished it twice on the PSX and twice again on the PC. It never deminishes in feel.

ShakKen
Infiltration
3D artist
special operations consultant

SkyDweller

B A H! lame finnish mapper.
Oct 26, 2000
PS version rocks, don't know about pc.

i belive its worth of your money

smash.gif

perrin98

Aug 17, 2000
hell, if you got a cable, download the whole damn thing... email me at sailor1029@hotmail.com for the site...

Lord Perrin

War comes down to he with pointiest stick

ThunderChunky

L337 Cube H@X0®
Jul 1, 2000
Warez...

Come on... Just buy the damn game if you want it. Downloading it is a merely a way of ripping those off whos creativity made the game, and those who worked their asses off to make the game.

There is no justification for warez. It is the same as stealing the game off of the shelves of your local game store, except much harder to get caught.

Also, this isn't the place to talk about crap like that.

As a hopefully future programmer (hopefully games), I take this issue sort of seriously.

I could keep going on for a while. I won't.

If you really want something new, raid the bargain bin in the store. There are plenty of good games there, if you are willing to trade gameplay for graphics.

-------------------------------------------
Stupid People Offend Me.

"The most costly of all follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind" -H.L. Mencken

thunderchunky.gif

MiscMan

The Grand Elitist
Dec 24, 1999
Well, unless you actually have made a game and been ripped off, i can't really agree with you.

Now, morally blah blah. It is illegal. And i don't think this board should become a warez board. But i can't imagine people taking it personally unless it is to them. Either way.

As for MGS, the game is like 5 years old. It probably costs like 40 bucks in stores too. As for the bargain bin, what if you don't want a game from the bargain bin. Maybe you want a new one.

----

-MiscMan

Titanium Wars

ThunderChunky

L337 Cube H@X0®
Jul 1, 2000
I've had somebody lift my code before. While it might not have been for money, it was for a grade. Somebody got a better grade then they should have because of my work. I had to compete with my own work for the grade. Luckily, I was able to prove it was my code (thankfully I put my name in random places in the code), and the offender was punished. It still pissed me off.

Commercial games are no different. It affects me personally, because I buy them from the stores. The more people who warez the games, the more the price goes up for those who buy them. That means the more money I spend from my hard earned cash on games I want to play.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As for the bargain bin, what if you don't want a game from the bargain bin. Maybe you want a new one.
[/quote]

I would suggest saving your money and buying it. It really isn't that hard.

And don't say that you are "evaluating" the game to purchase it later. Read a review, download the demo, or something perfectly legal.

Sorry, but the entire warez community sort of angers me.

Stupid People Offend Me.

"The most costly of all follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind" -H.L. Mencken

thunderchunky.gif

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
The only thing worse than people who download warez are people who download warez and then come to the official game site and b*tch about how it doesn't work. It happened all the time on the Deus Ex message board. People would come in complaining about a problem that would prevent them from proceeding beyond the first level. Everyone knew they were warezing the game, because it was a known problem with the warez version. It's hard to imagine that some people have the nerve to steal a game and still feel entitled to support. That'd be like me walking up to a clerk at EB and saying "Yeah, I stole this game last week and it doesn't work. Can I exchange it for a new one?".

-Keiichi

Sig01.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/morisato_81/

perrin98

Aug 17, 2000
yeah, i dont agree totally with the concept of Warez, but i use it. If i find a game i genuinely like, i will actually purchase it. the problem is, most games have a reply value of nil, and once their out of the box, the mystique of the product fades quickly to nothing. So far, i've only payed for products i like.

Lord Perrin

War comes down to he with pointiest stick

ThunderChunky

L337 Cube H@X0®
Jul 1, 2000
Replay value?

Don't take this personally, LordPerrin.

I pay for food. Food has absolutely no reusable value. And some of the food I eat is not for survival, but for enjoyment. Cranberry juice...

Replay value or not, people put their time, effort, and creativity into a game. Fallout 2. Damn awesome game. Probably had a replay value if you really wanted to. I didn't. I don't regret spending money for that game. Deus Ex is the same story. There is no excuse for stealing somebody's intellecutal property simply because you only plan on using it once.

If you do your homework, you should not be disappointed in the games you buy. I have not yet regretted a purchase I have made (except Tribes, but that's another story).

And Epic. You are asking for help on an ILLEGALLY aquired piece of software on a message board devoted to a free, LEGAL UT modification. It should be no surprise that people will dismiss you. I am sure that there is an appropriate message board for you to take your problems to. I would suggest this one.

And I wish there would be somebody to accept my challenge in the game "Die by the Sword." An awesome bargain bin title, if you like swordplay. I aim for the legs. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Stupid People Offend Me.

thunderchunky.gif

[This message was edited by ThunderChunky on Nov 07, 2000 at 00:28.]