help me overclock!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LordSpoon

plastic fork! my name is plastic fork dammit!
Nov 7, 2000
I cant overclock this goddamn celeron300A of mine! It didnt bother me when I first attempted (twas 1½ years ago) but its really pissing me off now.
Because the multiplyer for 300A's is locked at 4.5, i can only choose between 300, 450 or 600. When i set it to 450 it dosent boot. I havent bothered trying 600.
I understand i have to change the voltage. It is currently 2.0 I think. How high can I set it without any danger of fu'cking the CPU up?
P.S. if you know any good websites on the topic, can you post em here too?

**** **** off

the real pacman

Gwen's my hoe
Sep 1, 2000
I am tha mastor overcloaker!

Depends on what issue of the CPU that you have, and what cooling is available. If you have the malasian issue than you can overcloak it to uhhhhhhhhh 100000000000000 megaharytz. heh, and it really depends on your cooling, get some peltier goin on and you can up it to 450 no problem. With a standard fan, make sure you have a monster of a heat sink and a big fan, you can pimp the puppy to about 400 safely with that cooling. Cooling is the most important thing.

You can clock it to 1GHz with the proper cooling, so just remember its all with temperature.

sig.gif

I feel useless, like a bored priest whose fingers have ceased to feel the immanence of the holy water...

Pacman@planetunreal.com

I_ABuGa

Vetran
Apr 27, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
hey yah, i've meant to ask something about computer fanatics.

Does anyone have a computer system WITHOUT the casing? I have a friend who sort of like spreads out the components on a table or shelf. He's an overclock nut too so he designed this cooling system that uses the gas from his fridge which is just next to his PC table. There are these metal wires encased in a plastic shell that contacts with a weird heat sink on his CPU chip. He overclocked his PC by about 400MHz.

Curtz

May 31, 2000
I lately overlocked my CPU (P2 350 to 467mhz), unfortunately, now I get a nice score on 3dmark2K, 3970. Unfortunately 3 out of 4 DIMMs no longer work, so I have 64mb instead of 112mb, Thus, UT runs slower than hell frozen over.

Lags a bitch, and then you die.
Official "paranoid-nut" of the BMA, and ex-evil overlord wannabe.

Technophile

Look, location works again!
Oct 31, 2000
Texas, USA
300A to 450mhz should be no problem.

I have 4 CPU's just like that I setup for a render farm a couple years ago. They all have a cheap crappy heatsink on them, works just fine.

I will say that for all the money Intel puts into chip research, their heatsink choices are sh!t. The stock sink on my PIII 500mhz ran the chip at 150° F.

I have it overclocked slightly to 575mhz and it's running at 98° right now.

Moral of this story: If you have a stock Intel heatsink and you are trying to overclock, ditch it. Even a cheap HS will do much better.

BTW, I am not running a cheap HS to get 98°

:D

What brand of motherboard do you have?
What kind of memory? PC66 PC100 PC133?

Curtz

May 31, 2000
board: Gigabyte GA-BX2000 with intl 440BX agpset.
memory: not too sure, 1. 64mb (maybe 133 mhz, seeing as it is the only one running) 3. 16mb (evidently not fast enough).
I am running at 350/133mhz (pci 33.3mhz), not the recomended 350/100mhz.
Enough info? :confused:

Technophile

Look, location works again!
Oct 31, 2000
Texas, USA
Overclocking

plastic fork, I would like to know your system specs too.

Curtz, first lets test your memory. See if it's dead or just OC unfriendly. Take all of the memory out but one stick in the slot your 64MB is in. Presumably slot one?

Works? Then keep it. Try the other 3 DIMMs in the same slot. Any that wont start to boot are trash. Doesn't matter if it won't boot all the way, I doubt Windows will play to nice with only 16MB anyway!

Also, de-overclock the system before trying these tests. Remove all the variables.

Now take a DIMM you know to work and try all the memory slots one at a time. All work? Good. If not you have a slightly bigger problem. :(

Best bet would be just buy more memory now anyway. I'm sure you will get screwed on pricing because you live in jolly ole England.

In the US:
PC133 128MB $45; 256MB $90

PC100 is running so close to the same price that it's not worth the savings.

Lots of times the CPU or memory may not be the only thing holding you back from a higher overclock. SCSI cards and older NICs in particular are touchy. Take all the cards out of your system but the video and try to find how high the CPU/memory will go. When you have that add cards back one at a time to see if any crap out on you.

Will post more later

the real pacman

Gwen's my hoe
Sep 1, 2000
No case with mine

Well its hard to say if you consider mine a case or not. I have it mounted on a shelf. Its a rather interesting setup. The board is mounted to the wall while the CD ROM is mounted on a shelf with the hard disk.

The shelf it one of those attached to my desk. I am finally getting a full server tower on friday.

sig.gif

I feel useless, like a bored priest whose fingers have ceased to feel the immanence of the holy water...

Pacman@planetunreal.com

LordSpoon

plastic fork! my name is plastic fork dammit!
Nov 7, 2000
of course, my specs.

I'm running the CPU off a ATX MS-6199A MSI Mainboard (if that makes any difference to you, hell its probably one of those ****ty companies that never worked). It uses award bios etc has all those standard features of an ATX Motherboard. Its a pretty average board. You have to fuc k with the jumpers to overclock.

I have 64meg of PC100 RAM. That means I should be able to clock up to 450mhz right? I once borrowed a friends PII-400 CPU which used a 100mhz bus so i know it works at that bus speed.

As for cooling... I'm pretty sure that it wasnt the heat that was stopping it from working. I have just the normal celeron fan&heatsink and a soket7 cpu fan&heatsink stuck on the other side. Its temperature @ 300mhz is about 47degrees (celsius, I'm australia dammit) and when i clock it up (and it wouldnt boot) i tried rebooting it a few times and it didnt work. When i checked back into bios it was still 47-49degrees.

Thats why I'm pretty convinced I have to bump the CPU voltage up.

Thanx guys n e help is appreciated.

**** **** off

the real pacman

Gwen's my hoe
Sep 1, 2000
I use dust covers, so that dust doesn't get all over my stuff, I think I'll take a picture of it before I put it in the case and show you all. Its rather kewl.

sig.gif

Pacman@planetunreal.com

Curtz

May 31, 2000
... AAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhh *Breaths in* AAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhh. How much for memory in the US. :eek: :confused: :mad:

Anyway, I worked it all out. The 3 dimms I got can't run over 124mhz, so I now have my 350 over clocked to 392mhz (grumbles). I seriously need more memory, but it cost about £128 for 256mb :eek: . Thx anyway.

the real pacman

Gwen's my hoe
Sep 1, 2000
Vive Les Overclockers!

See, told you that you could grab 400 no problem. And if you want to use the 4MHz as a technicality to say I was wrong .. well all the power to you. But 396 is close enough. Vive les overclocers!

sig.gif

Pacman@planetunreal.com