What's a Canuk?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
(and if one of you smartasses says "A Canadian" I'm gonna smack ya) :)

Seriously though, I've heard the slang (derogatory?) term used when refering to Canadians, and I'm curious as to it's origins.
(I'm also just guessing as to the spelling)

ZundSig4.gif

Bad.Mojo

Commander in Chief o' the BMA
Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
It's canuck -- its not really derogatory, any more than Yankee or Aussie or Brit is deragotory to Americans, Australians, or English.

Here's what websters says about "Canuck"

Ca-nuck: \kah-'nuk\ n. [prob. alter. of Canadian] 1: CANADIAN 2 chiefly Canad : FRENCH CANADIAN 3: CANADIAN FRENCH - usu. used disparigingly.

bmj.gif

Deathdealer

Dealer of Death
Mar 4, 2000
Newfoundland
To Compliment Mojo...

I found this on a site called word detective (I have shortened it down a little):

I actually know several answers, so even if I did mug you, you'd be getting your money's worth. The simplest and most popular theory seems to be the one you came up with, that "Canuck" is simply a shortened form of "Canadian."

However, according to "Unkind Words," a fascinating book on ethnic labeling by Irving Lewis Allen, "Canuck" isn't really that simple. First of all, it seems that French-speaking Canadians living in or near the northeastern U.S. consider "Canuck" to be an offensive ethnic slur. But in the rest of Canada, "Canuck" is a label of national pride, as evidenced by the name of the Vancouver Canucks hockey team. Go figure.

As to the origin of "Canuck," Allen reports that it may have arisen as a blending of "Canadian" and the Inuit (Eskimo) word "inuk," meaning "man." There's also the possibility that it came from Hawaiian, brought over by laborers imported to colonial Canada, but that seems a bit of a stretch to me. So there you have it, and good luck getting out past the cats. The big orange one mugged me last week.

The link for Word detective is:
<A HREF="http://www.word-detective.com/082498.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.word-detective.com/082498.html</A>

And just scroll down a little way for the canuck thing... :)

infilsig.GIF