Analog Supressors?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
If anyone reading this has experience with Supressors or has a very good understanding on how they work please feel free to comment on these ideas.

As far as i know in many cases the trade off to using a "silencer" for a weapon is reduced muzzle velocity, and that there are situations in which an operator would like the best of both worlds so i got out my doodle pad and worked up some ideas based on what i know of todays models.

the fantasy model i was thinking of would be connected not to the muzzel but to a seperate feed carring the gases. because the device wouldn't be attached to the muzzle it needn't be shaped in the traditonal "can" shape but could instead be run under or above the barrel ( or perhaps be built into the butstock or something else.

The external device would operate using traditonal techniques such as baffleing and porting, with some slight modifications*. Where the gas feed attaches to the device would be a simple open close valve. When the valve is closed the weapon would operate in a normal fashion, when it's open the gases would be fed to the "exhaust system". This basically allows the operator to have a supressor with an on & off switch, or if it was actually a valve it's could be set to any pressure to adjust the how much gas would be be vented back into providing pressure for the projectile. Similar valves could be placed throughout the device's "piping" so that more accurate control could be preset. In addition to providing sound reduction the system could also be used in conjection with less than leathal rounds since it would allow for extreemly refined control of projectile velocity.

does this sound practial at all, or is it just something that should be tossed in the trash..

please comment

boom

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
i'm no expert but i don't think it would really work. you see you really need alot of whole to get the gas to vent enough to silence it. i don't think just one hose would really cut it. you just couldn't get the flow rate. youd need to have a whole bunch of hoses. that would really look silly to see a rifle with a ****load of hoses coming out the barel.

Can you spot the sniper?
spotthesniper.jpg

Too Late!

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
Well

It could work, but I would have to agree with Bunker. You would need quite a bit to knock down the sound to a reasonable level. But hey, who cares if it looks ridiculous? Stealth is a virtue in modern combat. As long as the device is not to cumbersome, it could be an asset tot he soldier to have one of these new silencers as part of their standard equipment. Try not to short-out your thinking cap here :)

---------
Don't steal, the government hates competition.
---------

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
revised ideas.

ok, first is a verised idea on a current typical supressor that uses porting to bleed off the speed for a rifle round, that could be used on a normal rifle.

The idea consists of to cylinders. The first would be the A-Typical can with porting, except the outside surface would be grooved, so to allow the second can to "screw" over the first. As the second covering can screws further onto the first porting holes are covered & sealed. This would allow a user to adjust the amount of "bleeding" with a simple twisting function.

Like the first posting i made the overall goal is to create a compact "silent" weapon system. Supressors in CQB can be encumbersome since they can add a significant amount of length to the barrel. following the current trend in Assault rifles, i've been racking my brains on a way of puting the supressing sytstem to the rear of of gun. A Bulpup 'silencer' if you will. Idealy it would be built into the stock, but because it'd essentially be a heatsink, this could pose painfull if not dangerous to the firer if prolonged shooting occured.

boom