Book suggestion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MiscMan

The Grand Elitist
Dec 24, 1999
I don't really know why i'm posting this, but I would have to recommend the book "Red Mars" to anybody here. Though I haven't completed it yet, from the first few pages it showed what would most likely be described as a political epic more than a scientific one. A good read for anybody here.

----

-MiscMan

LordSpoon

plastic fork! my name is plastic fork dammit!
Nov 7, 2000
isn't that a whole series? (red mars, blue mars and green mars).
I think I've seen em somewhere before...

arcticdude_sig.JPG

I once ate a pie with a plastic fork.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
I can't read in bed, I prefer the couch.

If you want to read an excellent series. Go get Asimov's "Foundation" series.
And for all you Dark Angle fans, go read "Friday" by Robert A. Heinlien (I swear that's where they got the idea).

Oh and they're old (first one written in 1917) but for a real fun read, get your hands on Edgar Rice Burrows "Martian" series. It's all pulp sci-fi but it's still a fun series.

ZundSig4.gif

-=<<NRA>>=-

Jul 6, 2000
I am an avid reader, i read all sorts of literature. And i agree, nothing beats reading on a meloncholy weekend after-noon. T.V. in no way compares to the experiance of reading an engrossing novel till your eyes hurt late into the night.

weed.gif

omen

zapatista
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
i recommend reading crime and punishment by fyodor dostoevsky, 1984 by george orwell, the iliad or the odyssey by homer, the inferno by dante, and don quixote by cervantes

Galaddin

Forum Drifter
Mar 15, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
Kinda into fast paced action books myself. Either that or technical journals.

It's a wise person who knows the difference between free speech and cheap talk.

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
Heh

I have long ago abandoned TV in favor of my PC and my books... the best books as far as I am concerned are (in no order whatsoever):

- 1984 by George Orwell
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
- Hunt for the Red October by Tom Clancy
- Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy
- Catcher in the Rye by Jerome Salinger
- Any one of the Star Wars novels or anything to
do with Star Wars

Now that I think about it, I have like 40 favorites... oh well... those above are obviously my MOST favorite. They came to mind first. :)

---------
"The game of catch has never been so fun!" - inventor of the hand grenade
---------

I_ABuGa

Vetran
Apr 27, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
suggested reading

I havent found Animal Farm or 1984 yet but am looking for em. I recommend the following SF, non-fiction and Fantasy books if you guys are into reading:

Dune - Frank Herbert, the first book is good, the rest not so and "Dune: House Atreides" sux

Empire Trilogy - Reymond E. Feist & Janny Wurts

Foundation series - Isaac Asimov, I havent read the last book "Foundation and Earth" yet, cant find it anywhere.

I, Robot - Isaac Asimov short stories compilation.

Belgeriad and Mallorean series - David Eddings

From Third World to First: Singapore Story - bio of Lee Kuan Yew, interesting how military power is necessary towards a country's sovereignty.

Dark Elf Series - RA Salvatore

Sinkha - Marco Patrito

any book by Douglas Adams - Mostly Harmless, Restuarant at the End of the Universe, So long and thanks for all the fish, etc etc.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Yeah, Dune is a great series (did anyone else see that crap-ass Sci-Fi Channel mini-series?). I'd also recommend The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. There are eight books in the series, with a ninth just released--each almost a thousand pages long. It'll keep you occupied for a long time.

-Keiichi

Sig01.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/morisato_81/

I_ABuGa

Vetran
Apr 27, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
If you dont wanna read the "Lord of the Rings" mammoth saga, then you can settle for the more reader friendly "The Hobbit". One of my favs that one.

Wheel of Time sux bad eggs... j/k. Robert Jordan's writing style isnt one I can appreciate much. The novelty of WoT is just that each book is freakin long, spans millenia between them and the story aint over yet. And its blardy expensive to keep up too.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
Also, even thought the movie sucked (Travolta should be slapped) Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard was a good read.

ZundSig4.gif

Gong 1

Oct 13, 2000
Gates of Fire, by Steven Pressfield. It's a historical novel type thing about the battle at
Thermopylae, one of the turning points in Xerxes the greats invasions of Greece. Good book.

Anyone here read The Hot Zone?

Galaddin

Forum Drifter
Mar 15, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
Hmm the Hobbit wasn't half as enjoyable as Lord of The Rings IMHO. The Silmarillion isn't bad either but the best is still Lord Of The Rings IMHO.

It's a wise person who knows the difference between free speech and cheap talk.