D3D or OpenGL?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
I got curious about the real difference between D3D and OpenGL, so I did a little comparison. Here's what I found...

D3D Renderer
D3D_01.jpg

OpenGL Renderer
OpenGL_01.jpg

D3D Renderer
D3D_02.jpg

OpenGL Renderer
OpenGL_02.jpg

Notice the fog. In D3D, it seems that any decorations or other non-map objects (items, player models, etc) are rendered at full visability, regardless of the fog. For the longest time, I thought this was simply a problem with the UT engine that I would have to live with. It wasn't until I switched to OpenGL a few weeks ago that I realized it was only a problem with D3D. Also, the hi-res compressed textures are definately a plus in favor of OpenGL. Even with hi-res textures, OpenGL still runs faster than D3D by quite a bit too.

D3D Renderer
D3D_03.jpg

OpenGL Renderer
OpenGL_03.jpg

Again, OpenGL seems to come out on top. For some reason, the trees and buildings are rendered way darker than they should be in D3D. Overall, the textures just look brighter and cleaner in OpenGL.

I've been a life-long D3D'er, but from now on I think I'll be using OpenGL. There's really no reason not to use it. It does everything that D3D does, only better.

-Keiichi

Sig01.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/morisato_81/

[This message was edited by Keiichi on Jan 31, 2001 at 01:38.]

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
I have been a OGL whore for a while now. You are using the Loki dll right? Well that is if you have a GeForce. Playing UT/SF/INF with the loki dll and and S3TC is unbelievable compared to D3D. Not only that, but no matter how intense things may be, it never slows down.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
Looks like D3D players have an advantage though when it comes to seeing your target :(

sure it's ugly, but it does look like it might give you the edge.

BTW, 3dfxGlide looks as good as OpenGL (only OpenGL doesn't work well on my Voodoo)

<center>
ZundSig4.gif
</center>

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
I'm using the new OpenGL drivers that Epic released a few weeks ago. They also released updated D3D drivers (which I've heard also support compressed textures) but, unfortunately, the drivers are buggy as all hell and cause UT to crash to your desktop every time you try to take a screenshot. None of the problems mentioned above were fixed in the new release either.

By the way, I'm running UT on a Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS Pro 64MB (GeForce 2 Pro).

-Keiichi

Sig01.JPG

[This message was edited by Keiichi on Jan 31, 2001 at 12:28.]

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
Yeah I know Chris, but it won't look as good. :p

Keiichi, trust me, you have to get the loki dll. Take a look at these comparison screens running on my Geforce 256 SDR.

D3D 1074x768x 32 everything high

OGL with S3TC 1074x768x 32 everything high

If you just look at the difference in file size between the 2 you can get an idea of how much more detail is in a map when you are playing it. It's like a whole new game.
Also, sorry for the file sizes, I know they are really up there, but I can't get Adobe to make the files smaller with making the pic smaller. :(

If you wanna know what to do, lemme know and I'll help ya out homie. :)

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Dude, I am using compressed textures. Like I said, the new OpenGL renderer that Epic released a few weeks ago can use them right off the bat. You don't need the Loki drivers anymore (although, you still need to edit your ini files to get them to work). The images I posted didn't really do a good job of conveying the difference between standard and hi-res textures. Here are some better ones...

D3D Renderer
D3D.jpg

OpenGL Renderer
OpenGL.jpg

-Keiichi

Sig01.JPG

Christopher Webb

Overtly Serious Chappy.
Well, I was using an old TNT with UT fine (well, semi fine)...then I upgraded to a GeForce2 MX (wh00p!!!)

If anybody is still wanting to play OpenGL UT with a TNT or TNT2, the piece of text you add to your .ini file to make the loki drivers work has a line:

UseTNT=0

Change it to (no prizes for guessing, as this is obvious)

UseTNT=1

and also change the 1 to 0 with the line about S3TC textures.

Mmmmm....OpenGL....there's no going back for me now!

<insert cute/ interesting/ bizarre signature here>

EndlessInfinity

Where is your god now?
It really sucks for me cause whenever I try to run OpenGl, my UT goes incredibly laggy (this is in the main menu) and the games won't even load. I'm using an CL Annihilator Pro, and I supposidly have all the available drivers loaded

"This is bad comedy"
-William Shakespeare

"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."
-William Shakespeare

"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."
-Sir Winston Churchill