Breacher question...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

seeker

Mar 9, 2000
Visit site
I might be a mile away on this one so bear with me...On an spec ops assault time (IE Delta Force or F.A.S.T.) don't they load the pointman up with as much armor as possible, give him a shotgun and send him through? I was asking cause I thought it would be cool to have a big slow guy blastin in doors and turning people o hamburger...but being weighed down by his gear.
Seeker
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter aqusations

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
pointman?

Well AFAIK the pointman was or is the person at in front of the team. At least with the SEALs in Nam it was so. Usually he was equipped with a CAR-15 or Stoner, and responsible for leading the patrol through booby traps and looking out for enemies etc.
Still this was not a single man job, but every member of the Team could become pointman - especially true for the rear-guard, who had to be point in case of retreat.
I doubt there still is(or has ever been..) a special dedicated pointman in any SOF; I'd rather say it was the designation for the man in front.

Snakeye /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothin

[This message was edited by Snakeye on Jun 25, 2000 at 13:36.]

Galaddin

Forum Drifter
Mar 15, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
heh sounds like these pointmen have the lowest life expetancies of the entire squad /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
i heard somewhere that they put rookies at point in nam... is this true?

It is impossible for the glass to be half full or half empty for you see: there is no glass

I_ABuGa

Vetran
Apr 27, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
heheh

heh, what insurance company would even consider the fella? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-------------
Shit Happens... and with great regularity too. We just have to deal with it one turd at a time.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Life expectations for pointmen in SEAL teams and other special operation forces weren't all that bad, but in standard infantry platoons you better started praying.

Snakeye /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing

SF_SlicK

May 17, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
yo seeker wassup baby? say hello to all the 4c guys for me

ummmm i just got dun watching this show on SWAT teams and Tactics on discovery channel and i think its more of a police swat team breaching drug dealers houses and stuff that do that, they take 2 dudes and give them 50 to 75lb kevlar sheilds and shotguns and then all the swat team basically hide behind the 2 of them with their guns aimed past the 2 pointmen in all different directions, a separate guy opens the door and the team of like 6 to 8 guys breaches the door and spreads in a preplanned fashion with the doorman trailing, thats what ur talking about i think, and i think its more of an LAPD swat team tactic then a military tactic, i hope that gave u the idea of what he meant Neo /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

crappy job if u ask me........haha pointman no thanks