Defence of the bots!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Aussie Joe

Sep 5, 2000
Please INF team fix those poor bots up! As we all know more people playoff line than online. Make these bots lean too as like the human players. Make the poor bots sniper at long distance just like we humans can. Could you please make the bots stand still when given the "cover me " command instead of moving around like their got worms. Please make them go prone or kneel,as this would make this mod really come alive. I have put the bots to Godlike, put their alert on full and the accuracy on full too, and I can still beat them. I know these things are possible and I live in hope that the INF team may be the first to come to the defence of the bots.
LONG LIVE THE BOTS!

Spleen

Contact Belltower Window!
Oct 18, 2000
hmmm

There is no substitute for live opponents.. I hate bots.. Im going to totally suck online because I just cant play more than 1 hour with bots.. Once 2.8 is online .. Ill be playing 5 straight. God.. I just find myself shooting my own team to get them the heck out of the way.. I know exactly where they are standing.. and when I poke my head out from around a corner and instantly get sniped from 500 yards.. I realize what "godlike" means.. Of course this is totally unrealistic and does me no good whatsoever in practicing.. this game should be for one purpose and one purpose only.. online play.. Dont waist coding time on the bots.. id took a year coding their bots for Q3 and they suck too.. Take the time to hone the multiplayer.. just my opinion.

the real pacman

Gwen's my hoe
Sep 1, 2000
bots

well all considering they do make good decisions if you look at how simple they are. All they do is follow the path. Bots are born stupid no matter what map you play on.

megabust.gif

Does it please you to oppress me,
to spurn the work of  your hands,
while you smile on the schemes of the
wicked?
Do you have eyes of flesh?
Do you see as a mortal sees?

--Job 11:3-4

Sometimes I feel like you want me to fail...

Pacman@planetunreal.com

Dogboy

Adept
Aug 22, 2000
"What is steel, compared to the hand that wields it?"

And what good is playing against bots that either watch you studiously as you poke holes in their vitals, or cap your butt crack off from the rings of Saturn? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Come on, God. Answer me. For years I'm asking you why: Why are the innocent dead and the guilty alive? Where is justice, where is punishment? Or have you already answered. Have you already said to the world, here is justice, here is punishment. Here...in me...

Farrell

Oct 19, 2000
bots...

...screw'em.

I don't feel the INF team should waste any time fiddling with the Bot's AI. Sure, they're dumb as heck, but they're still loads of fun to wail on. I can only imagine the can of worms involved with opening UT up and fiddling w/ the AI.

keep'em focused on the real deal, /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Multiplayer baby!! Multiplayer!!

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
bots

bot's teach basic tactics. i've yet to meet a human that can use the desert eagle in place of a robar. bots basicly reprsent the quake playing style. they run, spray, circle strafe and jump excessivly. if you set them to godlike i don't think it's possible to out shoot them. i saw one strafing with the psg and hitting his target every time. the onlyway to beat the bots is to use your brain. when you get to online play i think you'll find that it is helpful to have some grasp of basic stategy. I think a small and probably simple improvment would be that if you have a bot that is told to cover you and you decide to crawl the bot should crawl. if you run he should run. and so on. for those of you who have palyed it the ai in heavygear 2 works this way.

in addition we've all probably started servers and waited around for somebody to join. having bots gives you something to do with that time.

in regular ut i've almost decide that i'd rather have a bot cover me than a human player. bots no where you are at all time and stick to you like glue. most humans run off or go where are you. or ignore you entirely.

in conclusion, think of bots as puppies. their loyal but not the best trained. they have their uses and if you don't expect to much of them they won't let you down.

Lord Bunker
Ruler of The Bunkvanian Empire
"You can't shoot what you can't find"

Cunubelin

Absens haeres non erit (Soccerdad)
Sep 19, 1999
Sweden
You selfcentered SOB:s! (NOT the server)

Well, I wanted to say that and even a few more bad words but I went away and had an icecream instead and cooled off a little.

For all you "online fanatics", By all means, go play online but don't even begin to TRY to think about NOT improving the bots!
I and quite a few with me have no realistic way of playing this wonderful GAME online and WHY should we suffer just because we don't have free broadband access?

I hope that the Infiltration team will listen to us as well as to those who insist that online is the only way to go.
Once it's online look the bots over and see what can be done.
I know some issues are already beeing looked on if not already fixed in the upcoming patch.

Finally;
It helps eating icecream when your temper is roused. You don't swear as much! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Peace
C

htoh.jpg

Aussie Joe

Sep 5, 2000
Good 1

Thats right, if your lucky enough to get low ping well its fine. But I know now that only the vocal minority are the ones that play online. Lets say out of 5,000 downloads of 2.8, 100 play online. So that means alot are playing against the bots. Soon as this is realised the better for the majority.

Agent P.W. Herman

Oct 13, 2000
That is very true

I know 2 people that play online and the rest I know play with bots. I'm a big fan of playing online but the ping is too high and laggy so I almost never do. I'm always playing with bots and nothing else, so improving them would make playing offline a lot better and fun.

Only fool fight man with Brisk!!!!!!

Stompy

Oct 17, 2000
Cable modems rule!

I know. I've got one at home. It absolutely rocks. But there are still times that I'd rather play offline (most of the time, actually, as far as Inf is concerned). The only time I went online with Inf 2.75 was shortly after I found out the 2.8 release was coming. I don't remember exactly what made me do it, but I did. It was...okay.

I'm still not a huge fan of last man standing and I guess the big thing for me is that if I'm completely in charge of the game setup, then I can play any way I want and if there's something I don't like, I can change it. I'm not that way with other games that I DO play online, but there's just something about Inf. It feels more...personal, or something. I can choose exactly which map to play, how long to play it, how many bots to play with, etc., etc., etc. I just kind of prefer it that way. (for now)