Questions about Infi

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Red Arrow

What is the Matrix?
Sep 29, 2000
www.btyclan.com
I am the leader of a SF clan called "Better Than You."

Since SF is now leaving UT and going to Tribes 2 we are not sure to move with SF to T2 or move to another mod.

A few questions about Inif.

1: What are the advantages (if any) of Inif over SF? Please none of that Infi rulzs! SF sucks plz.

2: How many servers WERE there before Inif went offline? Was Wireplay one of them?

3: Someone told me that there were cars in Infi, is this true?

4: Is there any rumours of Inif going over to T2 just like SF?

Has anyone seen my gun? I put it down somewhere to take a leak.
<A HREF="http://btyrule.bizland.com" TARGET="_blank">http://btyrule.bizland.com</A>

Galaddin

Forum Drifter
Mar 15, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
1) Didn't play SF much but in Inf you can go prone (don't think you can do that in SF) and personally I prefer Inf's gun and player models and sounds over SF. I also prefer the general feel of Inf.

2) No idea :p

3) Maybe sometime in the future.

4) Nope, Inf is sticking to UT and will probably port over to UT2 when that is released.

The only thing that is better than cheap is free :D

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
1: INF allows player movement & tactics that I think capture the reality of military small arms combat like no other mod I've seen. Specifically I mean the ability to lean around corners whether you're standing, kneeling, or lying prone, and realistic limitations in stamina & loadouts that keep gameplay from becoming arcade-like.

2: I had 6 or 7 INF 2.75 servers in my favorites section. I don't know how many others there may have been I wasn't aware of. I wasn't aware of any Wireplay server.

3: As of now, there aren't any plans for moving vehicles (see the INF roadmap). But there may be a limited implementation beyond INF 3.0, if I understand correctly. Of course, the sky's the limit once INF evolves in future versions of the Unreal engine.

4: There's no indication that the INF team has any plan or intention to move to another engine. They appear to be committed to the Unreal (UT) engine and its future versions.

Alpha_9.gif

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne

Unicorn

Mar 1, 2000
Visit site
The main gameplay difference I find between the two is that in Inf I can actually aim, whereas in Strike Force I'm continually squinting trying to find that damn red dot in the middle of the screen. Otherwise, Inf has lots of new features which work but are currently kind of buggy, whereas Strike Force is a more polished game but has less features; and there are good arguments for both approaches to development.

Personally I like both mods, but I don't like the look of Tribes-2 enough to buy it just to play Strike Force.

Draco-1

I've been to hell, and I spell it DMV.
Jan 30, 2000
Visit site
1. I played SF only a couple times, and that was just after it's release. From a user's standpoint, I find SF a bit intrusive, but INF's install a bit unweildy for the average user. (What kind of computer do you have? A grey one.)

As gameplay goes, it's a matter of opinion. SF went more of the CS route, blending realism and gameplay. INF sticks closer to the realism side of things, making compromises only when the limitations of a computer game get in the way. I'm not sure about SF, but INF uses realistic bullet spreads with actual ballistics. Around 300m or so, a M16 is going to be shooting dirt. Additionally, INF's method of having preset loadouts is a plus to me, as I find the gun-scramble a bit odd for realistic combat.

You will however have to get used to a very different style of gameplay. One of the biggest differences is that you have to consider your stamina. You can't run full-out all over the map, or jump like a bunny forever. Additionally, you do not have an ammo indicator. You know how many clips you have, but you don't know how many round are in your current clip, anymore than you would in real life. If you squees off a couple round, you know you're a couple down, but there's no readout telling you. Ammo conservation is important; the MP5 eats ammo like you wouldn't believe.

Additionally, the sounds are as realistic as they could make them. Members of the team have actually used these guns in real life, and have strived to bring as much realism to them as possible. As such, some of the sounds seem kind of funny when compared to the more dramatic hollywood sounds most people are used to. The suppressed MP5 has been referred to as a typewriter on crack. But this is the actual sound of firing one with a supressor.

2. There weren't many servers, but at that time, INF was just a weapons mod. More of a stop-gap as the INF team was working on the current incarnation.

INF 2.8 is leaps and bounds beyond what 2.75 was. It's a total conversion now with changes to movement, weapons fire, and models. You really should give it a try. The downside, however, is that there is no operable netcode at the moment. But this is a top priority for the team, and we expect the netcode to be released within a month. (crosses fingers) I feel, once INF is online-ready, and word begins to spread, you'll see a LOT more activity. It really does stand apart from most other realism mods.

3. No moving cars. There are HMMMVs, but they are stationary. Good news is that mapmakers usually mount a machine gun on the roof. :)

4. INF is staying with the unreal engine. Personally, I prefer this as I feel it's better to perfect a job with the tools you got, then look around for the perfect tools.

Definately give INF a try. And check out the suggested settings on the announcements board. (I believe it's 30% player movement, 90% game speed, and 5% air control)

Red Arrow

What is the Matrix?
Sep 29, 2000
www.btyclan.com
Thx...

....guys for your support. I am going to give it a try but it is taking 7 hours to download it on a 56k connection.

All I have to do now is try to get the rest of my clan to switch mods, they seem to think SF is the best. So they are going to stick with it when it goes to T2.

Again thx a lot guys for all your answers, seems like the Inf community is really nice.

Has anyone seen my gun? I put it down somewhere to take a leak.
<A HREF="http://btyrule.bizland.com" TARGET="_blank">http://btyrule.bizland.com</A>

I_ABuGa

Vetran
Apr 27, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
Me ditto Shakken. I still play CS - mainly coz there isnt much of a selection in the cybercafes near me. I also play TacOps at home besides INF. TacOps seems to have become easier after playing INF. I do have a preference for INF tho and will most likely be following it to its grave.

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I do have a preference for INF tho and will most likely be following it to its grave.[/quote]

"To it's grave"?!? Who said INF will ever die? Do you know something I don't know, I_ABuGa? :eek:

Alpha_9.gif

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne