to the INF TEAM: map pack compability probs

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
R

ressukka

Is mappack 2.85 really official? I`m referring to the info on the mainpage. Some servers still run 2.80 maps and some players have only either of those installed or them both (2.80 & 2.85). Some maps have changed in 2.85, but some files are also missing from the package, at least server side. Then there`s some different views on how or which packages should be installed. Some peeps have also difficulties to d/l the new pack I`ve heard.

I`ve noticed that this all generates annoying compability problems, for example you can`t get into some servers while they`re running "changed maps" or the model animations might look messed up (all models hover and don`t animate properly). I have now installed 2.80 maps and then the 2.85 map pack, but still I`m unable to play on some servers or on some maps they`re running. That`s kinda irritating, `cos we europeans don`t really have servers to choose from. So it would be really nice of you to release one map pack officially which has absolutely everything needed on it to play INF: all files and recent versions of all INF maps you want servers to run. That would certainly sort thing out. Otherwise really great mod guys :) I hope you`ll get these things fixed, like this map mess and the notorious skin bug. Btw I heard there`s a patch coming later this week.

funkstylz

I CLEAN TEH LATRINE
Mar 15, 2000
Bris. QLD, Oz
www.funkstylz.com
Your mixing two problems together there.

The team mixup is seperate to the map pack all together, and is already being sorted out. The maps on some servers may be from 2.80, but shouldn't be. Give them time.

IF you wanna be really safe, install the 2.80 map pack, then the 2.85 one. :)

sig.gif

Groove is in the heart...fool

R

ressukka

What do you mean by team mixup? I know the skin bug is entirely different matter from the map packs, I just had to whine about that too ;) But the animation thing I talked about stems certainly somehow from the map packs, we put up a dedicated server that was just running 2.85 map pack and tested it: weird anims we got. Only installing 2.80 maps to the server and then 2.85 sorted that out.

And I have installed the map packs in the order you said, still probs on some servers. I hope you at least would clarify the map situation at the mainpage somehow, as I said there really are different views of it and some don`t even know the 2.85 map pack has been released.

[This message was edited by ressukka on Mar 14, 2001 at 05:07.]

Los Pescados

Infiltration Team Member
Nov 3, 2000
Surrey, BC, Canada
Well as far as I can tell, the problems with the servers is that they're running the 2.80 versions of said maps, as opposed to the 2.85 versions.. in which case you would get version incompatibilities.

What does this say to me? These particular servers have not yet installed the 2.85 map pack.

What is the solution? If you're on a server that switches to a map and you get a version incompatibility error, go find another server, and come back later. Perhaps even fire off an email to the server admin requesting that the server be updated.

Mikus

<center>
LosPescados1.gif
</center>

Snirpfel

Dec 16, 2000
Wierd Stuff

EP is currently not in my map rotation because of it giving people version mismatches. Tonight I did an experiment and switched to EP with a full 16 people on... and only 8 of them remained. I have the 2.85 map pack installed, and I know for a fact that some of those that were disconnected also have the 2.85 map pack installed.

snirp3.gif

DaddyBone

Infiltration Team
Jul 24, 1999
Boulder, CO, USA
www.sobservers.com
Thank you, Los P! :) exactly right.

For servers to be 100% compatible with the latest map pack, you have to install the 280 maps and THEN the 285 maps... the 285 Umod overwrites any older files, thereby updating things properly. If the server admins simply reinstall the 285 pack, the problems will be fixed. (I did some testing, and you can easily screw up your server by installing the 280 mappack umod over the 285 one- umods are set to overwrite anything, they don't perform any filesize or date checks)

And, of course, the clients all have to install the 280 pack and then the 285 pack as well. If you're at all confused, don't install any maps and let the servers send 'em to you. Server admins can use http://ucc.sobservers.com/ as their server redirect if they have limited bandwidth, our ucc team has all the 285 maps, textures, etc. up there for you. :)

- DaddyBone

Online Consultant for the Infiltration Team
http://www.SOBServers.com
SOB is the Official Clan of I N F I L T R A T I O N,
the Ultimate in Unreal Reality.

R

ressukka

This is the kind of info I wanted, thanks. Not just: hold your horses and wait ;) We fixed our server yesterday but I`m sure that many server admins are wondering the same questions like we did. If they`re not too interested they might even give up hosting INF alltogether when first problems arise. So IMO this is very important information to all server admins, but probably this post won`t unfortunately catch too many eyes. Is this documented somewhere else in the site? I hope it is or it will be soon. The more info the better --> more INF servers for us also that way :)

[This message was edited by ressukka on Mar 14, 2001 at 14:53.]

Farouk

Adept
Oct 19, 2000
Germany
A strange thing is that I get on the SOBserver a RealWorld package version mismatch (as well as on another server I tried) when I try to play ExtremePrejudice.

And I have first 2.80 maps installed, then Inf 2.85 and last 2.85 maps. All three are the UMOD versions.
The interesting part is: I have two different RealWorld.u files: One in the INF_System folder and one in the INF_Maps folder.

Edit:
I think the 2.85maps-UMOD is ****ed up. It puts the *.u files into the INF_Maps folder instead of the INF_System folder.
I moved all the *.u files from INF_Maps to INF-System and now it's working without mismatches.

Maybe that information helps.

[This message was edited by Farouk on Mar 14, 2001 at 17:45.]

R

ressukka

Now we`re getting somewhere! :) I`ve experienced this "RealWorld package version mismatch" too, went to the #infiltration and no one had any idea what to do. So thanks for solving this one out.

Farouk

Adept
Oct 19, 2000
Germany
It's not as easy as that, funkstylz. :rolleyes: It doesn't help if you've got a misfunctional umod file. And it seems I am not the only one with that file.
Check it out: I downloaded the 285mapsUMOD from fileplanet.

You can believe me that I tried a lot of things, that includes installing the stuff in different orders. When something doesn't work, I rather try to find the reason than moan somewere about it. Or at least I collect as much info as I can get before I make my rant.

Antedeluge

I survived the flood of 2000 B.C.
Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
I had realworld.u mismatch error too, so I searched for it and it turned out I had 2 copies. One was 15.9K, and the other was 14.1K. I think the 15.9 one is right, because I can't go to the firing range if I have the 14.1 K one in my Inf_System folder.

If it's stupid, but works, it isn't stupid.

Dano3000

Apr 28, 2000
Hick part of Arizona
yup..........

Same here.....
I have tried every single !@$^% thing and yet it still wont work.....
if it doesnt sound crazy enough, i re-formated my computer (i needed to any way, so im not that crazy)

but, INF rules over the constant CS cheerio box mod

and all is well..... for now :D

Shading the way.....

MGar

Nov 26, 2000
Mismatches

My experience- With both mappacks installed= mismatch.
Install only 2.85 mappack- no mismatch
I had one box w/ both and inf etc..
Mismatch always occured on it w/ SOB servers, Feed My Frankenstein (Snirp's) etc..
Box #2= fresh install UT, only INF2.85, only INF2.85 mappack- No mismatch.
So I cleaned off Box #1, and no more mismatches on it.. it does deal with realworld, but even after I tried replicating the location of the realworld.u file as it was on box#2 onto box#1 (pre- 2.80 mappack removal), it still gave the mismatch, probably because I didn't change the ini or something..
Anyway, thats my experience.

Private_Pyle

K

Krieg

Just to mix things up a bit....I only have 2.85 installed and have yet to have any of these problems.