Need Video Card Suggestions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
I have a currently Diamond Viper II, and I'm trying to find a good upgrade. I was looking at the Geforce2 MX because it has a lot of the features of the higher end Geforce2's but its only around $120. Has anyone tried a MX that can tell me if its a worthwhile buy?

tripnine

Nov 14, 2000
sure, wtf

just got myself a hercules geforce II mx for about that price and i definitely think it's worth it. if you don't need tv riggin' and don't mind the different memory config., then i highly recommend it. now i got bells & whistles @ 1024x768 for a fraction of the cost, and the framerates are great.

Paublosanchez

Aug 12, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Spend the extra 80 bucks and get a GeForce 2 GTS. I have an Elsa Gladiac 32 GeForce 2 GTS and it runs great. I run UT at 1024x768x32 and get arround 40-60 fps. I run QIII at 1280x1024x32 and get about 60-90fps.

dcowsigINF2.jpg

E

element

Best performance: Geforce 2GTS Ultra
Best price/performance: Geforce 2 MX

Although INF does slow down a bit especially with all the settings on high. (like destructable deco, and destr. ammo) And/or lots of bots and weapons lying around. Also on maps with high polys.

So you may want to opt for the faster card if you are willing to spend on it.

-------------------------
"He has a right to criticize who has a heart to help." -Abraham Lincoln

Dano3000

Apr 28, 2000
Hick part of Arizona
wait

DONE LISTEN TO THE GEFORCE CRAP
please please please consider the possibilities of the voodoo5
the voodoo 5 has motion blur affect
the voodoo 5 has FSAA, wich completely deletes all pixels leaving a sharp, clean, smooth image
the voodoo 5 has alot more amazing stuff that the geforce2, whatever
i know this because now i can not play a game witout my voodoo5, its really wonderful
so please, consider gettting a voodoo5 and feel what i have felt ;)
trust me, its worth it

'give me a sig and a smoke because ill blow this joint'

Galaddin

Forum Drifter
Mar 15, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
The fact about the PS2 that really disturbs me is the lack of FSAA. It really ruins the picture. Everything is so beautiful until you see the jaggies.

It's a wise person who knows the difference between free speech and cheap talk.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Im gonna get the 32mb Radeon, its between the GF2 MX and GF2 GTS performance wise. And also between those 2 cards for price :)

LordKhaine

RogueLeader

Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
I'm not going to go with a Voodoo for sure. I saw its FSAA in a demo somewhere, and while the FSAA of the Voodoo 5 is much more capable, its not nearly worth the terrible frame rates a Voodoo 5 gets with FSAA enabled. With a Geforce2 you could actually run the game in a much higher resolution to get rid of the jaggies, and still get better FPS.

E

element

Also the Voodoo5 has been discontinued at some stores because of the dissolution of the company after Nvidia bought their core assets. It is feared that they will no longer support the card and the stores didn't want to carry a card that would be left unsupported. (Read: maybe no driver updates)

E

element

"Core (GPU) Clock Speed: Both cards feature the same core (GPU), even now nVIDIA state that they created an Advanced 0.18-micron for the ULTRA to allow it to hit a clock speed of 250MHz. I seriously doubt this."

Wtf is this guy on? Is he saying Nvidia lied about the manufacturing process?

The only thing I agree on with him is that the Pro is between the GTS and the GTS Ultra in performance and price.

[This message was edited by element on Jan 15, 2001 at 20:58.]

Dano3000

Apr 28, 2000
Hick part of Arizona
hmmmm

well, the demo's that they have of the voodoo5 at that store you went to showed the FSAA in 4x
there is a switch were you can switch it to none,fastest,2x,or 4x
it is great when you are running 2x at 1024xwhatever or 1280x1024
it just looks better on 2 times anyway, and with the motion blur 'n stuff, field depth, bla bla bl abla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
i just like a little more eye candy in my graphics that 80000000000000 frames per second :D

'give me a sig and a smoke because ill blow this joint'

PiLe-0-gIbS

Jan 12, 2001
Hmm...
Visit site
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The fact about the PS2 that really disturbs me is the lack of FSAA. It really ruins the picture. Everything is so beautiful until you see the jaggies.[/quote]

The PS2 DOES have AA you dolt! J/K. It really does though, just some games don't support it. Tekken Tag Tournament supports it and I believe RR5 does. NHL 2001 doesn't support it so you get little graphical anomalies occansionaly. :D

PiLe-0-gIbS

Jan 12, 2001
Hmm...
Visit site
Oh yea, GeForce 2 MXs are good but DO NOT get the one made by Creative. All I hear about that one is bad things. If I were you, I would wait for the NV20 */me drools on self* ;)

RogueLeader

Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
I'm thinking of waiting for their next chip with hardware support for DirectX 8, but I bet that will start at a high price. I would prefer to keep my buy under $150. I can possibly afford $200, but thats pressing it.

shot.jpg