Shotgun - To pump or not to pump?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
S

-Snakebite-

I don't know much about shottys, I was just thinking what the disadvatage was of using a shotgun on semi-auto instead of pump. My guess was less power...

S

-Snakebite-

Oh, and one more question:
Gun functionality underwater... Should all the guns work underwater? And what effect does this have on the ballistics?

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Yep, that's one point.

Another would be, that on semi-auto a shotgun is usually less reliable than on pump, that's why some prefer to have them on pump.

The ability to chose between both made the M3 and SPAS12 quite popular.

But with advancing technology the reliability of semi-auto shotguns increases even with different loaded ammo in the same mag.
It has been quite a while, since J.M. Browning made his recoil operated Auto-5 because in these times black-powder shotgun ammo was still being used.

Snakeye :D

anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Guns under water?

Usually they should work - though with many restrictions; automatic weapons might not cycle properly, ballistics go to hell(water has a much higher density than air, so the friction is higher)and you'll lose speed(and thus energy) faster than you can say '****'.

For better and more accurate information wait for Gryphon or ShakKen.

ENP522

Experienced
Jan 24, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
ROFl

At first I though you two were the same person becasue I read the names really quickly. :D

I remember a thread somewere saying that some tyoes of shells do no pack enough power to eject themselves from the barrel so they must be pumped out.

[CMG]act

"We are the music
makers, we are the
dreamers of dreams."

Dr.Dase

Feb 26, 2001
That's right, some cartridges, such as some teargas and breaching rounds do not develop sufficient gas pressure to cycle the mechanism.

I'm not sure, but i think firing a weapon underwater is wildly stupid, because the barrel won't take the pressure, since water has higher density, the pressure in the barrel would rise and the barrel would explode. Anyone ever heard of ppl who got snow in their barrels? Anything that blocks the barrel, can cause the pressure to get to high, because the bullet won't move fast enough and might cause explosion...

mobace

rimmerlike :(
water shooting

whoa whoa... now i've never fired a gun while submerged but doesn't the combustion of the gunpowder require oxygen? even if you can fire from under water, it seems natural that you'd really foul up your weapon, not only short term but you'd better make sure to clean it as soon as possible.

scot

Feb 1, 2001
hrmph

i've heard glock's can fire in mud, dirt, water, snow... and even be dropped from a plane and still fire properly

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Oxygen is not the problem. In fact There is no way for oxygen to enter the cartridge in the chamber, wheter you fire it underwater or not. So the propellant used has enough oxygen in the cartridge itself.

Don't know if some guns might blow, if fired underwater, but seems possible to me.

Meshuggah

Apr 24, 2000
Chandler, Az, USA
Visit site
ARRGGG. GUNPOWDER BURNS W/o OXYGEN.

SOLID FUEL.

page

Kleersteel

Jun 26, 2000
Well, as far as shooting weapons underwater, I think that is the reason why they use spears and the like or even a 'bangstick' (rod with a 12 ga. shotgun blank) if you're close enough. Back in the days in the Marines, water in a rifle barrel was a big no-no. Water can't move out the way fast enough and, 'boom!' you're eating some of the barrel. We use to put a condom on the end of the weapon to keep water out the bore. If you need to shoot, shoot thru it. But, anyway, I hope no one is dumb enough to REALLY want to find out if a weapon shoots under water. There is enough dumb asses out here trying stuff they shouldn't. That CAN kill you...

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
My last chemistry lesson has been a while ago, but last time I researched on solid propellant, it still said that every propellant contains a large portion of oxygen(in a molecule with other elements).

IIRC there is no combustion without oxygen, be that oxygen free or in molecules with other elements.

But that really has been a while, so I could be wrong..

Dr.Dase

Feb 26, 2001
There can be reactions that create large amounts of gases that does not require combustion, but those reactions are usually too slow or too little gas. But modern propellant doesn't need any outside oxygen to function.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
The oxygen is in one of the components, in old blackpowder i think it is salpeterzuur (in dutch sorry don't know the english word for it).

bigsig.gif

S

-Snakebite-

Ok, so the question now is, how do you reckon the guns should work in INF underwater?

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Simple when fired under water amplyfy the effects of the air by X (X being the thickness of water compared to air) and some guns shouldn't be able to fire underwater or have a chance to jam/misfire.

bigsig.gif

S

-Snakebite-

I think the idea of peoples guns blowing up in there faces (in the game) is well funny :)
Means that people would have to risk blowing there gun up, or stabbing the enemy in the water.