The highdetailactor settings with dual skyboxes.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Claymore

The Flying Dutchman
Dec 24, 1999
Utreg, Holland
www.xs4all.nl
The regular UT maps often feature 2 skyboxes. I just found out why, and I've got some questions about it.

One of the skyboxes has the skyzoninfo bhighdetailsomething set to false, and it features a simple skybox. The other features another skyzoneinfo, with the bhighdetailsomething set to true, and it features almost the same skybox except for the fact that there's is more stuff in it, like a sun, and some planets, and some other ways of lightning.

In game this results in the folowing: When highdetailactors is set to true you will get to see the highdetail version of the skybox, with suns and planets and stuff. When set to false you will get to see the simple version.

What I wanna know is this: can I use the bhighdetailsetting to make my levels run faster on slower systems when they disable the highdetailactors? Take a lantern, if that would be set to highdetail, it may not show up with that particular setting disabled, increasing performance. I haven't tried this yet, and the simplest way to figure it out is to actually try it, but maybe some of you guys know more about this subject.

It kind of bugs me that there's no help file with the editor. For instance: you'd have to look at levels to actually figure out what special lighting does. And I still don't know how to use the alternate pathnode.

Hope you guys can help me out.

------------------
It never hurts to help ...

JerkyLerky

May 14, 2000
Houston, Tx, USA
Well, to answer you, I don't think you should bother setting each individual actor to bHighDetailLow to ture because on most slow machines, if the person is smart, they will already have that low detail enabled for better performance.

bullet2.gif

JerkyLerky R' Us

Claymore

The Flying Dutchman
Dec 24, 1999
Utreg, Holland
www.xs4all.nl
Dewd, that's not what I meant. That the entire problem, even if highdetailactors is set to false you will get to see everything you put into your level.
I wanna know that when I set a lantern to bhighdetail, that it won't show up at all when the setting is disabled. Less polys, so higher framerate. I'm not talking about texturedetail, I'm talking about implementing the highdetail aspect, just like with Dual skyboxes. With the setting disabled you get to see a simpler skybox, cuz the designer THOUGHT of making it so. If You don't bother making it it won't do anything.

bullet2.gif

It never hurts to help ...

Claymore

The Flying Dutchman
Dec 24, 1999
Utreg, Holland
www.xs4all.nl
Yeah, that's what I thought too. When you rebuild the level your stuff is placed in it, and although you might get to see the simple skybox with highdetailactors disabled, it's still there, you just can't see it.
That thought had crossed my mind before I started the subject, and the setting would in my case actually have to result in removing abjects from the world. Wheel of Time features these kind of detailsettings, so I thought it might work like this in UT too.

But it seems no-one knows, so I guess I will have to figure it all out by myself (again).

Thanx anyway.

JerkyLerky

May 14, 2000
Houston, Tx, USA
--> . When you rebuild the level your stuff is placed in it, and although you might get to see the simple skybox with highdetailactors disabled, it's still there, you just can't see it. <--

Actually, when highdetailactors are disable for the skybox, it shows the one w/o all the extra stuff in it... so, it really doens't show only one skybox. :D

bullet2.gif

JerkyLerky R' Us

Claymore

The Flying Dutchman
Dec 24, 1999
Utreg, Holland
www.xs4all.nl
Sorry, but I don't get it, could you be a little more specific?

There are 2 skyboxes, in one level. one is with lots of details, the other one is not...
And the highdetail settings are not set to the individual things in it, it's just the skyzoneinfo.

JerkyLerky

May 14, 2000
Houston, Tx, USA
Well, in Advanced, its set to highdetail to true in the highdetail sky box. If a system is set for high detail, it should use that one.

And the same for the unhighdetail skybox/skyzoneinfo

That help/make sense?

bullet2.gif

JerkyLerky R' Us