PDA

View Full Version : Infil 2.75/2.8, UT 4.13, and the Mac.

Butch3
13th Apr 2000, 02:12 AM
On your front page it says that UT 413 will be required. Is it actually *required* to function at all, or very highly suggested, so as to fix the weapon prefs bug among other things.

I ask this because the 413 patch has yet to be released for the mac, and I don't envy waiting for the 413 patch to be able to play Infil UT Online.

Westlake Interactive was informed that the 413 patch would follow very soon, and made the decision to wait and directly port 414. The longer the 414 wait is, I have to add 2 weeks or more to get UT Mac updated.

Butch

geogob
13th Apr 2000, 10:44 AM
10th April:

quote:
We are beginning testing on 413 later this week

but what are you saying about 414?? I haven'Mt seen anything in theree news...

just asking.

------------------
--- Geogob ---
The only way out is the C4 way

Butch3
13th Apr 2000, 01:54 PM
The latest infil news post on the front page "This update will also require the latest UT 413 patch. Expect a release very very soon." is what worrys me, as there is no 413 patch on the mac yet.

The situation with patching Unreal and UT on the mac has never been good. Westlake Interactive (the porting company) isn't paid to update the game to keep parity with the PC version, but rather only to fix mac-specific bugs. This means that any port of a patch is done on the Westlake staff's own time, without pay. (They are such great people....). Obviously, when they are patching our game for us, they can't be working on profitable projects.

Regarding 414, there were a small number if serious bugs that were supposted to have cropped up in 413 (said some time ago on the PlanetUnreal front page). Epic promised to ship out a small patch fairly quickly to adress these new bugs. To save their own time and money, understandably, Westlake don't want to port 413 and then have to do it all over again, so they are waiting to port 414 directly.

At least 413 doesn't break network compatability, so mac users arn't shut out of most online games. Just infil 2.75 games it seems.

Butch

[This message has been edited by Butch3 (edited 04-13-2000).]

Butch3
13th Apr 2000, 01:56 PM
WHOO! I finally found that quote in your post, didn't have a clue where it came from. Right after posting I cruised by the Westlake site, and there is news on the 413 patch entering testing. Looks like they decided Epic was too slow with the 414 patch and went ahead with 413 anyway. =)

The news on waiting for the 414 patch came out several weeks ago, within a few days of the PC 413 patch's release. Guess they changed their plans.

whoo!
Butch