Linux online freeze

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
W

wenck

I'm running inf 2.85.3 on Linux Mandrake 7.2 on a p3 800, 128meg Ram, 32meg Geforce 256. Before the patch I had problems after playing online for a while, while loading the next map, my system would get bogged down and I couldn't do anything. I was able to change virtual teminals about 5 mins after the command was issued, but it was bogged there too. I ended up having to reboot. Before this was only after about 2hrs of online play. Today, after installing the latest patch, I played a few rounds rounds offline, then on my first attempt to play online, it happened again. I believe the map it was loading was extream pregudice. Any suggestions?

MP*Beretta

May 25, 2000
I'm not sure how stable the Linux drivers are for that card, or which revision of the drivers you happen to be using. Are you working with the latest version of DRI? If not, stay tuned to the lists and code changes at http://dri.sourceforge.net. If you're using XFree86 3.something, I'd suggest you move to XFree86 4.

Feel free to email me directly at alex@zing.org if you need further clarification.

casull_inf.jpg

W

wenck

drivers

Nvidia cards are not supported by dri. They have their own drivers. I have the 0.9-6 drivers installed, and 0.9-769 is the latest version. I'll try it with the latest nvidia drivers and hope that works. I do have XFree68 4.0.1 installed, but I think I may have to install 4.0.2 or later to use the nvidia 0.9-769.

MP*Beretta

May 25, 2000
Sounds like a plan. I've only tested extensively using 3dfx cards, but with recent developments in that company I should probably choose another vendor's hardware to test with Infiltration.

So far, with Linux, the Radeon appears to be a possible alternative...

casull_inf.jpg