OpenGL vs. D3D Drivers, performance issues..

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

wiseassbnty

Jack's smirking revenge
Dec 6, 2000
www.whatisthebinty.com
Okay I posted this here a while back, and just wondering I had switched to the new (old?) renderer drivers that epic has on their website as posted by a link from someone else here, and I experienced terrible lag in-game and then the game would freeze every now and then mid-level. I'm running a Radeon DDR 64meg (non vivo but that shouldn't matter) and win98se with 128 megs ram on AMD 900, pretty good setup if you ask me, anyway, my framerates before replacing the two .DLL files was like 60 average (using timedemo 1), and that's in Kosovo with 8 ppl and about 1/2 way up above the map in Direct3D mode. With the new .DLL files I was getting around mid 40s in GL mode and it was choppy. I've since removed and re-installed UT and INF and now I'm getting around 70 - 80s in Direct3D mode (all this with DX8 installed). Any ideas why? I hear how wonderful GL mode is supposed to be, but I've been having nothing but trouble with it, I know I can probably get more from that card then what it's doing now, but honestly I'm happy with it in D3D mode with these kinds of results. I'm not about to change something that works fine..

Just lookin for some input as I never did understand the whole D3D, Voodoo, GL, Glide etc mumbo jumbo..

<center>
page

<a href="http://www.whatisthebinty.com" target="_blank">Visit Clan Binty Online!</a>
</center>

D

Dire Wolf

Strange, the drivers have the exact opposite effect for me. I've got a P3-1Ghz/512MB RAM/Geforce2GTS 32MB and at 1024x768@32-bit OpenGL mode I get roughly 70-85fps depending on the map.

Remember that OpenGL mode is probably mostly for nVidia cards. Don't forget that the OpenGL "driver" for UT really isn't a driver in the sense of a hardware driver. The ultimate calls the opengldrv.dll makes is to the opengl32.dll (or whatever it is) that your card manufacturer provides. I've heard that ATI doesn't have the best OpenGL drivers out there.

Dire Wolf