PDA

View Full Version : Shoot through walls...why not people too?

Tome
21st Feb 2000, 05:57 PM
I've only just gotten inf 2.71 and started playing around with shooting through walls. I don't know if I've just not seen it yet or whether a Robar capable of piercing 20 unit walls can be stopped by a player's head, thus protecting their teammate.

If it's just me thats wrong I'm very sorry. If not, then this would make a nice addition to the next inf. Would stop people grouping up.

Tom

thornz
21st Feb 2000, 06:50 PM
it happens already...supposedly. I've only had it happen once. I didnt really notice it except for it said "double kill". I remember several instances where I swore it SHOULD have happened, but didnt, and don't really know why. Prob my aiming was off.

happened with a robar, for the curious.

Mr. McFeely
23rd Feb 2000, 07:47 PM
You definitely can shoot through ppl with the Robar. I've done on several occasions. Two birds w 1 stone as it were...

INF_Neo
23rd Feb 2000, 08:31 PM
Ehm, you can not. As long as we don't have our own player models, we concentrate on what we have.
But that will be changed.

Mr. McFeely
1st Mar 2000, 12:43 AM
I guess I'm the magic super sniper. I get double kills with the Robar from time to time. And this always happens when two bots are next to each other, front to back. The only way this could happen is if the single bullet killed two people. Perhaps my Robar is fully automatic.
Mr. McFeely

Snakeye
1st Mar 2000, 05:22 AM
Considering my sniping experience - and I use PSG/Robar 50% to 60% - it already is possible to shoot through people(bots for sure, since I only can play botmatch; no internet at home :-(
I achieve single shot/double kills with the robar often enough(CTF-Lavagiant is quite the place to try) - twice I even managed to do it with the PSG!!
The first bot got a head shot(only way to get that bot with one round) and the little bottie behind him got a nice hit in the chest(guess he was already low on health, since a PSG doesn't kill people with the first shot..)
I haven't succeded at this with any other weapon - but who needs single shot/double kills when havin a full mag of 5.56s and an M16 on semi - hehe

Snakeye

------------------
anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing

INF_Neo
1st Mar 2000, 11:21 AM
Then I must have done sth. wrong

Snakeye
1st Mar 2000, 07:29 PM
About that shooting through people;
As far as I know an 9x19 bullet(FMJ) can travel through a human body and only lose 20% of it's velocity(or was it energy?) - if it doesn't hit bones of course.
About the same should count for 5.56/7.62 and so on.

Why not make bodies easier to penetrate - without increasing the damage of course?

What do you think about that?

Snakeye /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Billdog
3rd Mar 2000, 12:00 AM
Penetration vary a lot with bullet design. The right 9mm P can penetrate a whole body but won't have anything like 80% of it's energy left.
The 5.56 N is designed to tumble inside the body and is a bit unreliable.
In general all standard military rifle ammunition(FMJ) will overpenetrate, and all pistol ammunition won't.

Snakeye
3rd Mar 2000, 02:23 PM
About that 9mm penetration, the velocity was the right one. Under near perfect conditions a 9mm FMJ is able to penetrate a human body without losing much more than 20-25% of its velocity - which is quite a difference to energy, cause a bullet, that loses 20% of its velocity loses nearly 40% of its energy.
Has something to do with kinetic energy (Ekin=m*v²/2 - which means that doule speed gives four times energy, while double mass only increases the enrgy by two..)
But after all this is just theory and as you said, the penetration depends strongly on the bullet type used.
Still it would be nice to see different penetration for different bullet types(AP should be quite good in terms of penetration) and of course for different targets hit; a bullet shouldn't go as far through a wall as through a human body.

Snakeye

Vulpine
5th Mar 2000, 05:17 PM
I have also been able to kill two birds with one stone. Multi times with the Robar and once with the PSG.

5th Mar 2000, 08:18 PM
Same here. I've gotten double kills with the Robar AND PSG-1 in the same game! It's interesting to fire your weapon once only to hear "DOUBLE KILL!". /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BTW, if anyone has any strategies for winning a 10-player online bot match against Experienced bots in Face, I'd love to hear them. Couldn't get their flag more than once without being gunned down by a Robar just outside their base. > /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

------------------
Gryphon/JTF2
Infiltration Firearms QA Consultant

=JTF2= Infiltration Server Info (http://members.home.net/freedomstoystore)

Same here. I've gotten double kills with the Robar AND PSG-1 in the same game! It's interesting to fire your weapon once only to hear "DOUBLE KILL!". /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BTW, if anyone has any strategies for winning a 10-player online bot match against Experienced bots in Face, I'd love to hear them. Couldn't get their flag more than once without being gunned down by a Robar just outside their base. > /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

------------------
Gryphon/JTF2

------------------
Gryphon/JTF2

Snakeye
6th Mar 2000, 05:17 AM
Win? CTF-Games can be won?
Hell, I always thought they were just made to frag 'til you've got enough?
What have you got to do to win.. /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

About CTF-Face, I never take the flag, that's Bot-Job; I'm Sniper..

Snakeye /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Vulpine
6th Mar 2000, 11:36 AM
I've found the best way to get the flag is to send in all your bots and sit back and be fire support. take out the enemy as soon as they regenorate.

Toysrme
11th Mar 2000, 03:08 PM
play sob's ctf fort map for 2.7+

stand at the front top of your fort with a robar or psg. if you don't have 5 doublekills in 3 min. you aint much for headshots then.

btw after throwing a bot set to cover me a robar and walking him to the magic headshot place, telling him to hold this position
(he has accuracy alertness and camping all set as high as they go)
he(the bot) is also able to get doublekills with a robar. altho bots are more body shooters, they will go 4 headshots sometimes, and when they do on that map "ghost" yourself into a position where you can watch w/o the bots knowing your there. you will be able to see the doublekills.

takes some time but it's awsume when u see a bot take off some heads=)