PDA

View Full Version : Back-up weapon

NewWorldSamurai-Mac
26th Feb 2000, 06:55 PM
I had an idea while I was playing Inf 2.71. I'd be using a weapon, and wish that I could quickly switch to another weapon to use once, and then switch back. I was thinking that there should be the ability to set up either a back-up weapon key that would use the weapon of your choice for whatever reason, or perhaps implementing a small pistol or revolver for back-up and having a seperate trigger for just that small pistol.

------------------
Fourtane tellers make a killin' these days' me oh my, Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius, bring me more that whiskey and rye!

thornz
26th Feb 2000, 09:23 PM
well, since this is the realism mod, you are going to have to implement realistic times for getting the gun to ready. So then, whats the diference between switching to a different weapon and switching to your backup? In 3.0, you won't be able to carry more than 3 weapons tops, due to weight restrictions.

there IS going to be the ability to pull a grenade pin with your teeth, which I think will be awesome.

[This message has been edited by thornz (edited 02-26-2000).]

NewWorldSamurai-Mac
27th Feb 2000, 01:15 AM
Perhaps I should elaborate. The purpose of this feature would be for back up. Say you're using an MP-5, and you run out of ammo, hit what I guess would be a third trigger, your back-up raises up and fires, say, drawn from a holster if it happens to be a handgun or pistol designed for this purpose. This has the potential to save your life, though, REALISTICLY, the aim would probably be crappy. This is, in essence, a quick draw weapon. My main thought was for a weapon that would be designed for this purpose, no need for reloading, just a use-up-the-ammo-and-toss-it type of weapon. Though, in theory, you could instead set up a button that would bring up one of the melee weapons and slash at person who gets really close. That was my main idea.

------------------
Fourtane tellers make a killin' these days' me oh my, Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius, bring me more that whiskey and rye!

thornz
27th Feb 2000, 03:26 AM
in that case, about the only planned weapon would probably be the M9, which is designed for the role you are describing.

I do admit that having specific keys bound to readying specific weapons is important, but thats already possible.

I get what you're aiming at (no pun intended) though, don't think i think you're stupid or anything. I still think that the speeds for readying, reloading, ect. will have been increased enough in order to make this unneccessary (right now, it sure as hell would help me)

INF_Neo
27th Feb 2000, 07:02 AM
The team has still got to talk about that grenade thing.
In reality you'd rather loose your teeth than getting that pin out of the grenade.

NewWorldSamurai-Mac
27th Feb 2000, 12:11 PM
Well, as long as I know others understand what I'm talking about, I guess I can deal with the odds that this option probably won't be in 3.0, but it's still something worth considering, once we see how 3.0 plays.

------------------
This is where mechanical excellence, 1400 horse power pays off.

thornz
27th Feb 2000, 08:58 PM
is it possible to have the thing in your hand, and yank the pin with your thumb? Seems to me you could, since dummy grenades I've held arent that big.

27th Feb 2000, 09:46 PM
Pulling the grenade pin out with your teeth is Hollywood BS, plain and simple. No army in their right mind would ever teach this technique. Never having used a real grenade I can't comment accurately on this, but the practice grenade I have sitting on my coffee table right now gives me a good idea on what the pin is like.

If you've ever tried pulling the pin on a grenade, you'll sure as hell won't want to try pulling it out with your teeth! Grenade pins are HARD to pull out and for good reason. You really need to give them a good yank to get them free, and if you try using your teeth you'll probably break them sooner than pull the pin out.

This isn't to say you need to get three of your buddies to help pull out the pin, just that it's hard enough to do with your finger and impossible to use your teeth. If you have a good grip on the ring and use one strong, quick pull, the pin will come free. I just tried it with my practice grenade. I also put the ring in my mouth and tried pulling it out, stopping just short of pain and the pin hadn't budged.

------------------
Gryphon/JTF2
Striving for Excellence in Small Arms Data

=JTF2= Infiltration Server Info (http://members.home.net/freedomstoystore)

Pulling the grenade pin out with your teeth is Hollywood BS, plain and simple. No army in their right mind would ever teach this technique. Never having used a real grenade I can't comment accurately on this, but the practice grenade I have sitting on my coffee table right now gives me a good idea on what the pin is like.

If you've ever tried pulling the pin on a grenade, you'll sure as hell won't want to try pulling it out with your teeth! Grenade pins are HARD to pull out and for good reason. You really need to give them a good yank to get them free, and if you try using your teeth you'll probably break them sooner than pull the pin out.

This isn't to say you need to get three of your buddies to help pull out the pin, just that it's hard enough to do with your finger and impossible to use your teeth. If you have a good grip on the ring and use one strong, quick pull, the pin will come free. I just tried it with my practice grenade. I also put the ring in my mouth and tried pulling it out, stopping just short of pain and the pin hadn't budged.

------------------
Gryphon/JTF2

------------------
Gryphon/JTF2

thornz
27th Feb 2000, 11:48 PM
ok, so no thumb then either

can't you just latch the thing to your person? Like on your vest or something by the pin and yank hard to get it off? If it's so hard to get off, then this'd work ok, right? Or put some velcro on your shirt and the grenade, or something

yeah I know, you guys arent exactly saying "velcro! Why didnt I think of that?!?!", but it's just a suggestion

29th Feb 2000, 05:15 AM
thornz, yeah that would probably work. Mind you you'd be yanking on your webbing to get the pin loose and there's the possibility of ripping your clothing, but it's definitely doable. I'm sure someone has done it somewhere.

------------------
Gryphon/JTF2

thornz, yeah that would probably work. Mind you you'd be yanking on your webbing to get the pin loose and there's the possibility of ripping your clothing, but it's definitely doable. I'm sure someone has done it somewhere.

------------------
Gryphon/JTF2

------------------
Gryphon/JTF2

Billdog
1st Mar 2000, 02:33 PM
So when you get stuck in some branches and suddenly gets free, your pals seek cover.

thornz
1st Mar 2000, 06:16 PM
I think you'd notice that. If it's THAT hard to yank off, then it's not going to get yanked off by a branch, unless it gets stuck and you do something really stupid and yank hard.

Snakeye
2nd Mar 2000, 05:46 PM
I think there already enough ways to die in INF - no need to add a branch that grabs your grenades /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Serious now:
I also have a practice hand grenade at home, and it sure is hard to pull; if you chose to pull it out with your teeth, don't forget the falling teeth animation..
The idea with the vest would be much better.
Would also make people use grenades more often.

Snakeye /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------
anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing

Sniper187
4th Mar 2000, 02:22 AM
how about attatching the grenade to your belt? its probably a helluva lot stronger than your vest.

Corin
5th Mar 2000, 01:06 AM
Well, there are special vests with reinforced thingies(which are quite different than whojamuhwhatsits) that you thread through the ring like those keychain whatchamacalits(which are somewhat like a thingamabob). If I can find a pic anywhere I'll be sure to post it in a later reply.

thornz
5th Mar 2000, 04:01 AM
whoa man, quit being so technical

------------------
have a mac...
...but not a clue?
http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/thornz/

Corin
5th Mar 2000, 04:38 AM
Hah! Thornz you dog! Put your website on your sig and everybody says " Ooh! A new Mac site! I gotta check it out!" And everybody tries at the same time and now they exceed the max connections for the server.

That is a damned genius idea to get hits!

I mean, I still want to get in there because now that I can't I think it must be pretty damn good or something, or else the server wouldn't be swamped.

spec_ops
8th Mar 2000, 11:39 PM
Actually, having branches pull the pin out of someones gernade is a real life crisis, (atleast it was). I have read about several accounts in Vietnam about how the men, when they were in the 'bush', or jungle hunting VC would in fact bend the pins on the grenades because their buddies were in fact blown away when they didn't realize that their pin and spoon for the grenade was missing. I'm not saying anything that should maybe be changed in Infiltration, just mearly stating that branches pulling of grenade pins was no joke in Vietnam.

thornz
9th Mar 2000, 01:49 AM
what the HELL are you talking about? My page sucks!!!!!! I'm assuming sarcasm!

It isnt called "thornz's sligtly pathetic UT page" for nothing, you know.

what I want to know is why there isnt a link to it in my sig, like others.

great, now I wish I knew how to make a counter.

------------------
have a mac...
...but not a clue? http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/thornz/

"e phallous e magnu est"
-the dirty monk

[This message has been edited by thornz (edited 03-08-2000).]

thornz
9th Mar 2000, 01:52 AM
hey it's working now!

anyway, my vote goes to the belt idea. That sounds the most sound.

did that make ANY sense.......