PDA

View Full Version : Reload time

1Krichton
22nd Mar 2000, 07:37 PM
Lets say your in a hostile situation and your mag runs dry. Perhaps the option could be implemented to try a "speed load" in which your character attempts to reload as fast as it is humanly possible. Even a new fancy animation could be done for the "speed load". I know I wouldn't be sitting around smelling the sweet smell of death in the air while reloading if bullets were flying past my head.
A downside could be the possiblity of droping the mag and at that point you screwed yourself.

If thats not an acceptable option maybe a speedy weapons change is.
Lets say your in the same situation. You here that familiar "Click, Click" sound we all have grown to love. At this point you say to hell with your primary wep and toss it aside in order to make a speedy secondary switch.

White Rabbit
22nd Mar 2000, 08:11 PM
I dislike the first idea, I think that Infiltration is about ammunition management, not bullet spraying. While speed is nice, you wouldn't reload a weapon while standing in an open area, you find some cover and then reload.

The second idea I think is really good. If you're reloading your weapon and try to switch to another weapon, INF makes you reload completely, and Then switch weapons. By that time you've just essentially reloaded a weapon for your enemy's use, because you won't be needing an MP5 once you're dead.

If switching weapons could be faster, and instead of reloading, then switching, leaving the player the option of switching to another weapon automatically, would greatly enhance INF.

Mr. T
22nd Mar 2000, 08:24 PM
Sorry guys, I don't like either idea. I think it's more realistic to have to reload or switch weapons manually, and it should take just as long as it does in real life. If you run out of bullets in that situation your just plain screwed. If that happened to me in real life I'd probably say. "OH ****!" so maybe that message should be implemented. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

1Krichton
22nd Mar 2000, 08:48 PM
In real life there are techniques used for reloading. There is a tactical reload in which used, but not empty mags are stored in order to reuse them if the time of need should arise.

If a life threatening situation occurs a "Speedload" could indeed be used. It would be essentually the same except the used mag to be stored is tossed away in order to save the few precious moments in time where life and death can be decided.
If infiltration was to use a tactical load then a "Speed Load" would apply but otherwise I agree that ammo management is the best way to go

I still like the idea of a speedy weapons change /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mr. T
22nd Mar 2000, 09:03 PM
Ok. Let me see if I fully understand. A speedy reload would be letting the used mag drop to ground and switch to new mag, regardless of how many bullets left in used mag. A speedy weapons change should then be throwing the M-16 or whatever to the ground and whipping out your M9 or whatever, correct?

I can sense the realism in that I suppose.

Bad.Mojo
22nd Mar 2000, 09:38 PM
Speaking as somebody who has field stripped, fired, reloaded, and operated an M-16 series assault rifle, I can tell you one thing. Hitting the release switch, giving it AR a quick jiggle, slapping the rounds back in and cocking the thing does not take as long as it does in INF. When you're in a live fire situation, you find ways to speed up the process. I've never actually gone to war, but hey, you learn these things anyways. It shouldn't be bolt-blazing fast (like Soldier of Fortune) but the fact is, if you look at the animations, his movements are very deliberate and slow. I can move a ****load faster than that and get the same thing done.

DeadeyeDan[ToA]
23rd Mar 2000, 12:38 AM
Yes, but then again he gets mags out of his vest (and puts the half-empty clips back in) very very quickly, so it kinda evens out.

The speed reload idea sounds good, but I don't know if it justifies taking up yet another key. I get the impression most of the keyboard immediately available to my movement hand will be mostly taken up in 3.0.

Snakeye
23rd Mar 2000, 04:25 AM
I don't like the first idea about the speed reloading either..it depends too much on luck, and a well trained pro won't hurry too much and make faults, because he has learned how to change mags fast..

The second one is really good IMO. I often was shot because I had decided to load another round into my Benelli, and this moment a bot came around..
If this was real life I'd drop the shotgun, try to run aside while drawing my M9 and fill the bot with 9mm bullets. If he didn't hit me first of course..
But IMO only the primary weapons should be 'trow-away-able' - secondaries are sometimes even attached to the man/woman with cords, so they don't lose them - at least sometimes..don't know wether this old technique is still in use.

Snakeye /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------
anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing

boogerboi
23rd Mar 2000, 07:09 AM
i've seen people tape 2 clips together, the one not in facing downwards so to reload is just a matter of turning the clip over...that can be implemented rite?
or maybe some special key to make ur man do that...

INF_Neo
23rd Mar 2000, 09:22 AM
hint:
uncheck auto reloading! Then you can change weapons immediately when they run dry

1Krichton
23rd Mar 2000, 06:50 PM
I understand unchecking the auto reload allows you to change immediately but then a new problem is presented..

For instance with the shotgun and Robar, you have to press reload for every new bullet you insert.
And overall it will,a little bit anyway, increase the already excessive time it takes to reload.

You can argue that cause maybe it is realistic, I don't know.
I personally think auto reload should be able to be interupted or a speed change in some other way perhaps would be nice.
Espeically in the case of shotgun and Robar.

Mr. T
23rd Mar 2000, 07:16 PM
Krichton, you can reload faster if you hold the reload button down. Then you don't have to press it once for each bullet.

Here's the solution. Making reloading weapons take an average of how long it would take to reload in REAL LIFE. Some people might be able to reload faster than others. But just make it close to average. If it already is, then do nothing.

And completely get rid of auto reloading, because that is unrealistic. I've never seen a gun reload itself right in front of my eyes.

Infiltrators will just have to learn to reload their weapons while under cover. If they run out firing and hear the CLICK CLICK, then you better dive your ass under some cover. Just like in REAL LIFE.

1Krichton
23rd Mar 2000, 07:34 PM
I agree with you Mr.T

Since I am currently using manual reload. I'll just develop lightning quick reloading reflexes and continue to dominate all who oppose me as you know I do.

Mr. T
23rd Mar 2000, 07:39 PM
I though you'd come to your senses with a little persuasion. http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~unreal/modcentral/html/sleepy.gif ool: As far as dominating all who oppose you, well, that must only happen when I'm not playing with you. Hehe.

Corin
23rd Mar 2000, 08:56 PM
You can stop reloading the shotgun or robar by holding down the fire button.