PDA

View Full Version : Being able to carry only one primary weapon at a time.

White Rabbit
22nd Mar 2000, 08:21 PM
SAS, Navy Seals, terrorists etc don't go into combat carrying 3 types of assault rifles, a couple sub-machineguns and a bunch of handguns. They go in with one primary weapon such as an M4 or MP5, and one or two secondary weapons like the M9 and Desert Eagle. If this could be done in INF it'd be much more realistic and prevent weapon hogging.

Second, if players could go in with only one weapon, perhaps they could pick a weapon proficiency in their player configuration, where they are quite good at one weapon like the MP5 as a primary weapon, and M9 as a secondary weapon. Having proficiencies will allow greater accuracy with these particular weapons, but only one primary and secondary proficiency per player. Also, if I have a proficiency in M16's, I'm going to pick to use that weapon, whereas another player might have an MP5 proficiency, and therefore pick that weapon, thereby creating some weapon diversity in the game, instead of everyone using the same type.

1Krichton
22nd Mar 2000, 09:06 PM
I very much like these ideas.

A single primary weapon is the only way to go if you want to be real.

In reality the akward look of a man trying to carry three or four rifles into battle would not only be irrational but just plan laughable.

I'm not sure about picking weapons proficiencies though. Perhaps the player should have to use his own skills to become "proficient" with certain weapons.

After all, having more in-game practice with aiming and firing of certain weapons will still give you an edge over players using weapons they are not as familiar with.

White Rabbit
22nd Mar 2000, 11:23 PM
I have to disagree with you, Krichton, besides the proficiency level would probably be hackable anyway. What I'm trying to get across is that everyone playing would be simulating an SAS or battle-hardened terrorist, not a newbie with a gun, therefore they'd prefer one weapon to another.

However, in retrospect I dislike the weapon proficiency idea, as this will happen naturally, just as some people are better with and prefer flak cannons, or rocket launchers, or ASMD's, etc.

23rd Mar 2000, 12:03 AM
Have you guys read the roadmap? If not, please do. There will be weapons restrictions, so youll select a main weapon, sidearm and other items, all of which effect your weight and movement. Take a look at the roadmap before posting a question, the answer might be there.
CC

And to respond- SAS, SEALS, and the like sometimes do hump hundreds of pounds of equipment, at times multiple weapons, it just depends on the situation. A CT operation no, long range recon, yes.
CC

------------------
Want to be an Infiltrator? Get the goods at:
http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/

23rd Mar 2000, 12:03 AM
Have you guys read the roadmap? If not, please do. There will be weapons restrictions, so youll select a main weapon, sidearm and other items, all of which effect your weight and movement. Take a look at the roadmap before posting a question, the answer might be there.
CC

And to respond- SAS, SEALS, and the like sometimes do hump hundreds of pounds of equipment, at times multiple weapons, it just depends on the situation. A CT operation no, long range recon, yes.
CC

------------------
Want to be an Infiltrator? Get the goods at:
http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/

1Krichton
23rd Mar 2000, 12:31 AM
Ok, I'm not sure you completely understood what I saying, White Rabbit. I wasn't very clear so its ok.
I was essentially making the same point as you did.

I didn't mean proficiency in INF should be built apon and recorded according to players use and effectiveness with certain weapons, I meant the players will make their own proficiency or it will come natually as you put it.

I hope that cleared things up /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Wolfn2it
23rd Mar 2000, 01:01 AM
I've read the road map so... anyone ever seen the movie "Gonna Get You Sucka", near the end where the guy was loading all those guns in the holsters and the two shotguns..hehehe if not go see it, but that would be the reality of loading up all those weapons. I think we should only have one primary heavy weapon and a secondary weapon. (I know its like CS but hey the idea is sound)

------------------
Kill'em all and let God separte 'em!!!

Wolfn2it
23rd Mar 2000, 01:02 AM
I've read the road map so... anyone ever seen the movie "Gonna Get You Sucka", near the end where the guy was loading all those guns in the holsters and the two shotguns..hehehe if not go see it, but that would be the reality of loading up all those weapons. I think we should only have one primary heavy weapon and a secondary weapon. (I know its like CS but hey the idea is sound), besides it would help support team play instead of the one man army solo individual winning the game single handly.

------------------
Kill'em all and let God separte 'em!!!

Warren
23rd Mar 2000, 02:16 AM
To expand on what Coffeycan had to say, the restrictions in weight and bulk will balance this out without a problem. If you're going into a huge map with obviously plenty of fighting going on, taking the weight of an assault rifle and SMG and pistol, along with the ammo and bandages, etc. might be worth the trouble- however going into a CQB situation, small 4 to 8 max character map and you'll probably limit yourself a lot more to just one primary weapon- gives yourself more speed and stamina to play with. The fact is, the weight and bulk restrictions will be a lot more realistic than saying you're stuck with only one primary weapon in every situation.

Not only that, but there will be no way you can carry every weapon Inf will have with 3.0.. consider the restriction of just a primary weapon as being magnified in a more complex way with weight and cost limitations.

------------------
Warren
Project Coordinator
i n f i l t r a t i o n
http://www.planetunreal.com/infiltration

Questions? Are you a FNG? Check out our Roadmap (http://www.planetunreal.com/infiltration/roadmap.htm).
Then check out our FAQ (http://www.planetunreal.com/infiltration/3.0/faq.htm).

Corin
23rd Mar 2000, 08:46 PM
I'm Gonna Get You Sucka rules /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif