PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Fire

1Krichton
23rd Mar 2000, 08:26 PM
Personally I would love to play infiltration with friendly fire enabled. It makes the game so much more realistic.
The problem is, there are just too many TKers.

Well, I have a couple of suggestions concerning this.
First, I think it would be a good idea to throw in a kind of indicatior that tells you when your aiming at a friendly. This would eliminate more accidental killings.
The indication could be something like the aiming reticule changes color when pointing at a teammate.
You can argue that is not realistic because sometimes you may not be able to tell a teammate from an enemy and that it would give it away.

I don't particuarly like the idea, but perhaps a server could be given the option of disallowing weapons to fire when aimed at a team member, thus restricting team damage to grenades only.
A TK pentalty system could be another option.

Basically, I'm looking for a way to make FF enabled games remain enjoyable for serious players.

If you have any ideas, please reply.

Corin
23rd Mar 2000, 09:41 PM
Inf already has a FF penalty, if you set it up...

Bad.Mojo
23rd Mar 2000, 09:50 PM
Isn't disabling the ability to fire a weapon when aimed a friendly disabling friendly fire? Anyways, the FF Penalty in INF is a little stupid... I mean, if I shoot my buddy, my head doesn't pop off. There should just be a frag penalty (like their already is) though it should be more severe. -5 kills for killing a teammate is appropriate, and it's a good enough slap on the wrist to teach you not to be careful not to do it again. That in itself is enough to take away all the friendly fire situations. The fact of the matter is, friendly fire happens. You don't want it to, but it happens. Friendly fire should be forced on. A bullet does damage, no matter who it hits, and its that easy. It shouldn't even be an on/off option.

Bad.Mojo
23rd Mar 2000, 09:56 PM
As a follow up to this, nobody on the team likes a team killer. So what can you do about it? I say implement a voting system where a troublesome, harassing player is ejected from the server and banned for say, 6 hours. That's a pretty fair way to deal with inconvenient team killing situations. And you know if somebody TK'd you or accidentally mowed you down, too. I mean, if your surrounded by four guys, and he's trying to kill them and you get shot a few times, its not really his fault - you were as good as dead anyways - but if he just guns you down when he's standing next to you, that's an asshole.

As an added bonus, a voted-out penalty of negative 25 kills could also be implemented so that anybody who's assaholic enough to get voted out gets their stats crippled. On top of a 5 kills subtraction for every team mate killed, that's a severe enough penalty to keep away anybody but the most retarded jack-off type of players, without sacrificing the realism of the scenarios.

1Krichton
23rd Mar 2000, 11:14 PM
I agree, Mojo, my ideas kinda sucked but I . I was just trying to spark a few NEW ideas in dealing with FF issues.
The voting system would make for a worthwhile implementation.

Maybe there is a need for more severe pentalties to TKers.

But I'm not sure we want to go so far as to scare the hell out of people if they should mistake you for an enemy /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

On second thought maybe we should, I mean in real life it would be a terrible feeling to mistakenly take down one of your own men. And pentalties of your actions could possibly be severe. hmmm.... yes indeed /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mr. T
23rd Mar 2000, 11:21 PM
They should be ejected from the game and await court martial.