PDA

View Full Version : Flamethrowers...

boogerboi
27th Mar 2000, 12:56 PM
please?
great for CQB...

Snakeye
27th Mar 2000, 01:30 PM
Does nobody read that little sentence below the New Version Suggestion Topic?
It clearly says 'no new weapon suggestions' - I know it's not there literally..
Maybe you wait until 3.0, then until a big post comes from the grandmaster, who asks for new weapons for an add-on..

Snakeye /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------
anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing

INF_Neo
27th Mar 2000, 02:57 PM
Ehm when were flamethrowers used? WWII?

Mr. T
27th Mar 2000, 04:43 PM
This was brought up before. I guess you'll just have to include this along with the 1911 in the WWII expansion pack. /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

thornz
27th Mar 2000, 07:42 PM
they were used in nam also.

thornz
27th Mar 2000, 07:44 PM
and is it just me or has a whole new crop of weapon suggestions just sprung up out of nowhere?

Bad.Mojo
27th Mar 2000, 07:50 PM
Actually the first flame throwers were used in the 1800s, as portable incinerators, big gas tanks with a nozzle for the pilot. They weren't exactly weapons, they were meant for disposing of corpses or taking down buildings, but I'm sure you could trace the weaponry usage to those things. I'm sure some criminal somewhere used one as a weapon once.

ZoMbiE
27th Mar 2000, 09:05 PM
Pretty soon some dumbass is going to come in here looking for a plasma rifle.

------------------
I am the Creature of the Night

Corin
28th Mar 2000, 12:13 AM
A flamethrower isn't really that bad of an idea; in a jungle setting anyway. I think that would be pretty impossible to make trees so thick that they were impassible unless burnt to make passages, sounds like it would be a huge amount of work; for the computers too /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

usmc stealth
30th Mar 2000, 09:27 PM
Im sick of all the "oh that would make it fake with a Flamethrower" Infiltration is STILL not realistic come on you CAN'T hold 10 weapons at a time without falling every step you take, Flamethrowers are still pretty useful if you want to clear a bunker yes, you could use a fragmentation grenade but hey a flamethower works too.

Corin
30th Mar 2000, 09:49 PM
Hello?! The whole gist of this conversation, being a weapon suggestion for a FUTURE version of Inf, where you CANT run around with 10 WEAPONS, makes that last post pretty lame. READ THE ROADMAP.

Toysrme
31st Mar 2000, 02:24 AM
ummmm...

try greek fire

been around for oh... sevrial centuries LoL!

flame throwers we're used much in wwi, they dissapeard b/c of their drawbacks until germany used them with succes in the beginning of wwii, at which point the britsh, americans, and russians developed there own flame throwers, by far during wwii the most reliable 1 of cource was the american one, which did not use electric egnishion
(whoa... look at that spelling, that's so bad i'll leave it as-is just so we can all have a good laugh=)
anywho, they we're also mounted on tanks, so on and so forth, yes they we're used in nam also, i have a neat pic of 2 of the flame thrower boats both spewing fire at the same time=) it's cool maby 1 day i'll get some neat pics i have and upload them, don't count on it(was out of some book)

anywho, the only reeal placee i could see one being used is on the smaller inf maps, specificaly ghetto style, besides with the high body piercing rounds inf uses you wouldn't want one, 1 good shot and i'd be through the skin!, off a rib! around the spine!, NOTHING BUT GELLIED-GAS! WOOHOO!!!

Bad.Mojo
31st Mar 2000, 06:40 AM
Yiah, technically greek fire doesn't count because giant catapults launching flaming missiles aren't the same thing as a portable gas tank with a pilot igniter or gas valve. I mean, sure, we could trace them all the way back to prehistoria... cavemen rubbing sticks together and throwing them at each other, hello? Flamethrower here people. Goddammit.

Mr. T
31st Mar 2000, 10:55 AM
But wasn't a sort of technology developed, perhaps not right off, to spew the greek fire outward toward the enemy. Making it very similar to a flamethrower indeed.

Anyway, I don't want greek fire or flame throwers. Not stealthy enough for my taste. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

thornz
31st Mar 2000, 12:56 PM
yeah, there were paintings done by the greeks that depicted them with a tube and fire coming out of it at the enemy. I have no idea whether or not they really had this or whether it was a flight of artistic fancy.

Toysrme
31st Mar 2000, 01:36 PM
thanks thornz-n-T

now then to pt it to a level you can understand,

god damn it

they did use catipults so shoot large ballz of it, but you've watched far to many cheap ass movies, they found out spewing greek fire was THE most effective way of using it.

(i hate doubleposts as much as i hate pricks that think they know everything, i thought they fixed that)
asfar as the rubbing 2 sticks together, shining them up real good, and stick them straight up your candy ass.

btw thornz where u been? not seen u aorund playing much

[This message has been edited by Toysrme (edited 03-31-2000).]

Bad.Mojo
31st Mar 2000, 04:17 PM
I'd come up with something to say to that, but I really can't understand what you're saying. I think you might be agreeing with me, but then there's that whole comment about me having a candy ass, which I can't figure out if its a come on or an insult. But at least you called yourself a prick, seeing as how you kindly barged into the direct historical reference and pointed out what humans have, yes, indeed known for centuries, that "fire hurts people," thus proving that you "know it all." So I don't really feel so hurt and chafing anymore.

In the mean time, I'd like to recommend two good books, "l33t speak for dummies" and "how to type with your head up your ass."

Corin
31st Mar 2000, 08:19 PM
Lol!

Well, it seems somebody has developed a more civilized way to talk smack. /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

Toysrme
1st Apr 2000, 01:28 AM
sigh, he juz aint got it,

hmmm, it's ironic the bitch has started a flame war on a post about flamethrowres aint it? LoL!

corin, it's not very good is it? i didn't get much disrespect for it either,

so how was that book how to type with your head up your ass?

you've apparantly read it after opening your fat ass mouth shooting the ****, when u don't even know which pile we're talking about.

don't blame me if you can't take it. you start with your little think u know everything post, followed by trying to make ME look bad? i'll follow it up on your ass.

(btw are the mod's gone? i know i can get away with damnit on the forum, but when u got a complete dick that knows nothing of what he's talking about closing his post with goddamnit; you know that he really must not know what his ass is talking about)

**** just delete the thread it's pathetic fighting those that are illprepaired, unless ofcource they have an m9, then it's fine LoL!
right boba? sda? LoL!

Toysrme
1st Apr 2000, 01:31 AM
after rereading the entire thread agin,i think he's made that i proved him wrong, and when he tried to argue more people than me corrected him. sigh, some people just need to get there head out of there asses

just note i so didn't start it LoL!

Mr. T
1st Apr 2000, 02:37 AM
Well, I was doing my best to avoid this bickering. God, when I read this post, I felt like I was transported back to the 6th grade. But a few beers later, and well, here I am.

I'm not taking sides on this but, please both of you, take a look at what is going on here. I'm just waiting to see who is mature enough not to respond to the other's provoking BS. Unfortunately Toysrme, you've failed at that miserably. I'm not trying to defend anyone here, because let's be serious, I don't f'n know either of you, and I could care less which one of you win this stupid argument, but this post did not turn into a personal attack battle until Toysrme, yes you, initiated it.

For all I care Mojo can "Goddamnit" all he f'n wants, if that's how he wants to express his opinion. Now, if he were to say "Goddamnit, Toysrme your a ****ing asshole." Then perhaps I could see an inappropriate use of the word goddamnit. But that is not what happened and you still responded with comments including language like "candy ass" and "I hate doubleposts as much as I hate pricks who think they know everything"

Now, seriously. Do you really think that was an appropriate reaction to the fact that Mojo said "Goddamnit"? Or to his response as a whole? Christ, I don't blame Mojo for responding the way he did, but I admit, I would still have handled it differently. He was pushing you into the very reaction you've given, and you fell for it. Mojo is wrong for doing this, when he should have ignored your initial reply to begin with. But instead attempted to provoke you.

You say "and when he tried to argue more people than me corrected him"

Well, I don't know about completely correcting him, but I mentioned the fact that Greek Fire was used very similar to the way flamethrowers were used in WWII and in Vietnam. I think his point, to begin with, was that there is a little bit o' difference between the technology used with Greek fire and the Flamethrowers used in Vietman. Of which I can not argue.

Oh, and of course you responded with more personal attacks including: "the bitch", "your fat ass mouth", and (my personal fav) "a complete dick". Well, I've partaken in a few discussions with Mojo in this forum, and he has shown nothing but intelligent replys and thoughtful suggestions, and I've never felt he has behaved as a complete dick.

Now. Gentlemen. This is getting out of hand. There is not f'n going to be Greek Fire in INF, and there will probably not be a f'n flamethrower either. So, take a deep breath, count to ten, have a couple beers, (like me hehe) and turn away from this childish argument. *sigh* (I think I'll have another)

Mr. T
1st Apr 2000, 02:37 AM
Well, I was doing my best to avoid this bickering. God, when I read this post, I felt like I was transported back to the 6th grade. But a few beers later, and well, here I am.

I'm not taking sides on this but, please both of you, take a look at what is going on here. I'm just waiting to see who is mature enough not to respond to the other's provoking BS. Unfortunately Toysrme, you've failed at that miserably. I'm not trying to defend anyone here, because let's be serious, I don't f'n know either of you, and I could care less which one of you win this stupid argument, but this post did not turn into a personal attack battle until Toysrme, yes you, initiated it.

For all I care Mojo can "Goddamnit" all he f'n wants, if that's how he wants to express his opinion. Now, if he were to say "Goddamnit, Toysrme your a ****ing asshole." Then perhaps I could see an inappropriate use of the word goddamnit. But that is not what happened and you still responded with comments including language like "candy ass" and "I hate doubleposts as much as I hate pricks who think they know everything"

Now, seriously. Do you really think that was an appropriate reaction to the fact that Mojo said "Goddamnit"? Or to his response as a whole? Christ, I don't blame Mojo for responding the way he did, but I admit, I would still have handled it differently. He was pushing you into the very reaction you've given, and you fell for it. Mojo is wrong for doing this, when he should have ignored your initial reply to begin with. But instead attempted to provoke you.

You say "and when he tried to argue more people than me corrected him"

Well, I don't know about completely correcting him, but I mentioned the fact that Greek Fire was used very similar to the way flamethrowers were used in WWII and in Vietnam. I think his point, to begin with, was that there is a little bit o' difference between the technology used with Greek fire and the Flamethrowers used in Vietman. Of which I can not argue.

Oh, and of course you responded with more personal attacks including: "the bitch", "your fat ass mouth", and (my personal fav) "a complete dick". Well, I've partaken in a few discussions with Mojo in this forum, and he has shown nothing but intelligent replys and thoughtful suggestions, and I've never felt he has behaved as a complete dick.

Now. Gentlemen. This is getting out of hand. There is not f'n going to be Greek Fire in INF, and there will probably not be a f'n flamethrower either. So, take a deep breath, count to ten, have a couple beers, (like me hehe) and turn away from this childish argument. *sigh* (I think I'll have another)

Bad.Mojo
1st Apr 2000, 05:14 AM
Mr. T shows us the way.

I was going to have a scathingly vicious retort, but after listening to drunk Mr. T, I'm pacified. To be perfectly honest, the whole technical reference to the portable incinerator of the 1800s was that, despite the fact that it was pump-operated, horse-drawn, and had a wick to act as an ignitor, it was the same basic design. Tank hooked up to a hose, using pressure to force accelerant through a (valve-operated) nozzle, which would then be ignited by the, er, ignitor.

Now, to be perfectly honest with you, I'm not exactly the grand master of greek history here, but consider this. I strongly doubt that they actually had that technology available to them. And I wouldn't take ancient historical texts to literally. According to history, the Greeks only got their fire because a man as old as the universe named Prometheus ran up a giant magic sky-mountain to steal it from a usurping Olympian, only to have his liver eaten out every day by an eagle in return. According to history. And we all know how factually accurate ancient texts from dead cultures are. Unless you have a time-machine and a few minutes to spare, I doubt anything before the time of heavy documentation, which started really with the Bible and Koran, and reached its current pinnacle with the Domesday Book.

p.s.: My retort was going to be really, really nasty, and was going to involve crude, childish humour. I managed to tone down the crudeness and use some of the points above, such as the whole Prometheus deal.

p.p.s.: The book was really good, Toysrme (I'm assuming you own the "Toys 'r' Us" franchise,) thanks for asking. I think Oprah should feature it.

Toysrme
1st Apr 2000, 06:09 PM
heh the ocra joke was pretty good heh, i think i'm starting to like u after all LoL!
i got a good laugh out of it

and yes the portable inciniraters we're cool. i brought that up in honars gov, eeconomics when the old lady was going over when the buddist we're toasting themselves in vietnam=)

heh she didn't appreciate it=)

Bad.Mojo
1st Apr 2000, 06:49 PM
w0rd

http://ratmdirect.com/assets/product_images/large/ADRGCD549.gif

Toysrme
2nd Apr 2000, 03:01 AM
mines neater heh.

it's got the guy sitting there in his little cloth being perfectly cool with it. just kinda chilln with the flames.

gotta fix that scanner

thornz
2nd Apr 2000, 05:38 AM
yeah sorry toys, but I havent really had the time. Mostly also i've been too lazy to retrograde my infiltration mod, or have they released the server stuff for 2.7 without me noticing?

Bad.Mojo
2nd Apr 2000, 08:37 AM
They set themselves on fire to escape the circle of reincarnation... its pretty messed up. I'd personally rather put a bullet in my head and just hope their is no God and all religion is **** than have faith and love life and decide to douse myself in kerosene and light myself on fire.

John Blade
2nd Apr 2000, 05:02 PM
as much as I love fire I'd prefer not to see flame throwers as they are very weak weapons.

They have a limited Range, and I'd rather be knocked down to the ground screaming from a painful FMJ going through my side than going up in flames...one way I could at least have a chance to survive

the other way I'd have 3rd degree burns at the least all over my body..its not fun to look blacker than a meal at denny's

and another thing is that they are hard to do correctly and are no longer used on the field of battle (fire damage is VERY hard to do correctly)
Its also a shame about how hard fire damage is to do as it would have been cool to see molitov cocktails (although they are more of Gang and bomber weapons than professional weapons)

red0006
14th Apr 2000, 06:14 PM
If you did add flame-throwers, you'd need a button for "Stop, drop and roll" /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
"I feel I'm gettin' weaker, while Charlie's gettin' stronger in the jungle"