Default Skins

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bad.Mojo

Commander in Chief o' the BMA
Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
I noticed that, in respect to skins, there were only three camos mentioned (jungle, desert, urban) however there are four teams. Is it likely to add an arctic disruption pattern for the fourth team? Also, in respect to models, as I know you are hopeful to make models familiar with weapons, how many models will their be for each gender, or will there be only one, with a general approximation of what they would look like in combats?

thornz

Inhuman...yes indeed
Dec 14, 1999
outer circle of hades
members.aol.com
does anyone really realize, also, that being in camoflauge actually has an effect? Like if you stand in the shadows, or near the shadows, from a long way off, it's hard to see the person? I'm kind of against arctic for this reason because it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb, unless of course you are in an arctic level (and how many of those are there?)

Bad.Mojo

Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
Yiah, that's why the words "disruption pattern" come up in my post. But urban sticks out like a sore thumb in desert or jungle, and semi-so in arctic. They're all meant for a specific locale and thus one or the other is going to be that sore, hammer smacked thumb. Yes, standing in shadows is effective, but not very, not in UT anyways, or in any way I've ever noticed.

Its just that for inf's sake, every team should be represented by some colour, and ideally while a server would set up a theme of maps (like urban or desert) and place appropriate skins for use on that server for each team, so they both stand a chance while being able to blend in to the theme too, it probably won't happen. Unless the inf releases the mesh of their weapon-familiar models and asks the skinning community to do them a big favour and make a whole whack of skins for them to use, so that the servers will always have a nice a array of skins to assign the teams.

btw, I believe that that would be a very good way to handle the skins. put out a wireframe of your models when they become available, and ask the community to make some skins. Select the best, and release them with say 3.0. Include in the mod the feature that instead of a server designating colours by the team and skin the players pick, it designates them the appropriate skin by the what the server tells it to select. In addition, make many faces available. The player can select their face, but the server is ultimately what "suits" them up.

[This message has been edited by Bad.Mojo (edited 03-31-2000).]

Mr. T

Feb 20, 2000
Visit site
What's with no arctic maps anyway? You'd think everyone would want to do a cool arctic terrain map. That would be pretty fun.

I think it's good to dwell on the skins/models and maps that are going to be associated with this mod. I think it's the main area that gives that first impression, and how most associate quality with a mod. Other things can be tweaked as time goes on. Everything I've seen so far with the INF textures, and with the mappers they have on this team, and in the community. Well, this is a very exciting time!

Anyway, I'd like to see skin changes depending on the map being played. Maybe that could be implemented with the loadout screen. The skins should be different enough to easily tell the teams apart somehow, but also allow for the players to blend in, to an extent, with the surroundings of the map being played. And yes, it should be based on what the server decides, except faces like you said. BTW, I haven't played UT online, and is that how it is handled now? With another nameless mod, the skins displayed on each player is based on how the client has them set up. This allows people to use a form of cheating, by skinning everyone with bright flourescent colors. I'm not saying this happens a lot, but the possibility exists.

Well let me sum up. If the skins are server dependent, then when there is a map change, the loadout screen could show which map will be next, and show a texture of the skin your team will be wearing for that particular map, maybe show the enemy's too, so you know what to look for. - may be unrealistic to show enemy's though. I don't know if it is even possible to implement this. But I hope you see what I'm getting at. Some way to allow for appropriate skins to be worn, depending on the map, while providing enough disparity between teams.

This may be a more long term idea. When more skins become available, and they wouldn't have to be released right away with 3.0 This could probably be a continual process of new skins coming out, and being used by the servers. But I understand what you mean by releasing a wire frame ahead of time.

Bad.Mojo

Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
For an arctic level, a Goldeneye (64) arctic type base level would be cool. I think the main reason people don't make arctic levels is because they're just like desert levels, only they have less villages and no sand and alot of snow, so they tend to be white and bland and sterile.

As for maps and stuff, I was thinking that maybe adding a tag to the map to designate what kind of map it was, but no.

Then I came up with this. Just like a map list, you have a skins list. The skins are cycled simoultaneously with the maps, so that the particular skin for your team changes with the particular map, and if you don't have that skin, it autodownloads it to disk cache for you. Then on the loadout screen, your new team skin is displayed, or your array of selectable skins if its not a team game.

The mod could be made, so that just like in the weapons replacement, it knows your current configuration for maps for DM, AS, DOM, etc. This way, no matter what game type you select to run, you can go to the mod menu, and it can say something such as

Assault Map List
For Map "Desert Raid" skin defenders "TanCombats" skin attackers "DesertCamo"

Or say for a non-team game like LMS or vanilla DM, it could say
For Map "Urban Strike", skins
"SWAT"
"UrbanCamo"
"SpecOps"

etc.

Something that fits the theme of the map, and makes sense. And makes sense based on attackers and defenders, not on which teams which. Like for Assault, the defenders would always have flat tan combats, while the attackers would always have U.S. military reg. desert camo, or something like that.

Again, I'm talking out of my ass here, but its an idea.