INF music idea

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Waxx

Ultralight pilot
Oct 2, 1999
Ohio, USA
Visit site
I didn't know where to put this, because I think this is where I saw the question asked. It was something like, "will there be any INF music" or something like that. Well, I think I have found a song. It is called, "Fanfare For The Common Man". It is a neat song that has a sort of taps type feeling to it. If anyone can find the song and listen to it, send it to me.

Andirez

push the limits
Jan 23, 2000
Belgium
www.planetunreal.com
To have a playable song in UT, it has to be a tracked one (IT, FT2, S3M, MOD). So mp3 files wouldn't do the trick.

BTW. Neo is going to make a song of his own, at least that's what he told me.

------------------
Name : Andirez

Bad.Mojo

Commander in Chief o' the BMA
Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
I thought there was a way to convert .wavs into music as well? If that's so, you could convert an MP3, technically.

Speaking of MODs, I haven't seen those around in years... I remember my buddy used to track them, way back when we were 12 and 13.

And speaking of MODs and WAVs and MP3s, you can convert an MP3 to a WAV, and you can convert WAV channels to MOD tracks.

So technically MP3 = UT music. You just have to go way out of your way (and probably lose alot of quality or have huge music files) to do it. Technically...

Technically, life is full of stupid technicalities.

Official, I still don't like it all that much. =(

Waxx

Ultralight pilot
Oct 2, 1999
Ohio, USA
Visit site
Thanks! And yes, it is possible to use MP3's in UT. At Professor Gib's Labrotory, he has some kinda turoial up or something.

Andirez

push the limits
Jan 23, 2000
Belgium
www.planetunreal.com
I'm a tracker myself and I must say that it isn't as simple as you guys let it turn out to be. If you convert a mp3 to a wav file, it's about 40MB, you can take the entire wav file and treat is as a sample in a tracker, but who wants to download an *.utx file of 40MB, let alone that UT can play such a big thing. What you should do is sample all the instruments that are used in the mp3, load them in your tracker and then just track the notes that are used. It could be that there's somekind of utility which does a part of this, but I don't quiet see how it would be possible to recognise automatically all the different samples used in a wav file and convert everything into the right notes, volumes, panning,...
My point : Don't get your hopes up on this. It's a lot of work doing this. UT does still use the tracked format (mostly IT or S3M) cause you can make the music context sensitive (you can use a trigger to switch to a different pattern in a song) an the scene is still very much alive. It's true though that MODs (that's with 4 channels and 8 bit samples) aren't used anymore. Impulse Tracker songs on the otherhand can have as many channels as you like (there is a limit, I think 256, depends on your cpu) and can handle 16bit samples. The difficult thing in tracking for UT is to see that you don't use too much channels, you need all to cpu power you can have for your inf'ing.

------------------
Name : Andirez

Bad.Mojo

Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
Andirez, there's actually a proggy that allows you to specify a channel to track conversion by using frequency filter, and a base note of that channel (usually a median) so that it saves alot of space, and you can specify the lyrics channel to get track voice bursts.

If I can find it (I think my friend Adam has it still) I'll let you know what it is or where you can get it.

Bad.Mojo

Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
I'll scout around for it right away. Its sometimes a bitch, and you gotta experiment with the different freqs, but once you get it it turns out pretty good. Some quality loss (natch) but its still a cool thing. He's some big e-head (man, I hate ecstacy... if you wanna do a designer drug, at least go for coke, it doesn't sit on your spine) raver dj guy. he'll have it,