PDA

View Full Version : Momentum/Inertia

Keiichi
5th Apr 2000, 04:49 AM
Sorry if this has already been suggested, but i'm about to turn in for the night and I want to get this out before sleep (or as I call it: "The 8 hours that I stop playing Inf." /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) erases it. As we all remember from Physics class, an object in motion tends to stay in motion, and an object at rest tends to stay at rest. Now in UT, starting/stopping/changing direction is instantaneous, so I was just wondering if it would be possible to implement some kind of momentum system were it would take a second or so to get up to full speed, and once you were running, it would take a second or two to slow down to a complete stop. This would also apply to strafing, so it would no longer be possible to whip around a corner, pop of a few rounds, and then jet back behind some cover (Besides, a "peaking/leaning" system would be far more practical than actually exposing your entire body to enemy fire). Again, I don't know if the UT engine will allow this, or if it would be a major chore to code, but as I said, it would be far more realistic. *Yawn* Anyway, I think i'll get some sleep now. Hopefully there'll be some replies by the time I wake up.

-Keiichi

------------------
If the past is an idea that can only occur in the here-and-now, and the future is also just a concept happening strictly in the present, is there really a past and future? Or just a continuum of present moments?

[This message has been edited by Keiichi (edited 04-05-2000).]

Bad.Mojo
5th Apr 2000, 05:09 AM
Thats pretty true. What may be an idea is to first remove yourself from pressing any button, so that you slow down. If you immediately hit backwards while going forwards, for example, you could lose your balance, stagger to a stop, and your screen would shake erratically. So it would be possible to stop on a dime just as in real life, it just wouldn't be the best thing you could do, as it would make you an easy target and throw your aim off.

I like it. Its all these little things that add the finesse and detail to a game