PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Knives

Stick_96
8th Apr 2000, 05:14 AM
Will we be able to throw knives at all. I think that this has already been discussed a while ago that u wouldnt be able to because u only get one knife. But in the loadout why not be able to carry as many as u want(according to weight restrictions) but not be able to throw the last knife. Maybe even be able to pick one up from a dead enemy.

OICW
8th Apr 2000, 07:43 AM
Throwing knives!? I'm sorry but you obviously have been playing goldeneye too many times. I don't think (correct me if im wrong) that soldiers of any army or unit use throwing knives ESPECIALLY NOT IN COMBAT. Knives are closeup weapons and are useful for quiet kills. By the time you bring your arm back to throw, BANG you're dead. I prefer a gun over a knive, unless i'm up close and personal THEN
knives are good

Bad.Mojo
8th Apr 2000, 10:19 AM
Actually, I know that some soldiers are given a single throwing knife on the off chance that they run out of ammunition and no other weapon is around to use and they have kill somebody. Not alot of soldiers mind you, not done to much anymore.

CoffeyCan
8th Apr 2000, 12:01 PM
Ive seen this topic before, but have never responded. My understanding is that there have been only several documented uses of knives as killing weapons in modern warefare. I believe an SAS soldier said it best, that you have to 'basically hack the persons head off' until the person is defintely dead when using a knife. In the day and age of silencers/supressors its much easier to get a virtually silent shot off than it is to use a knife, making the knife as a combat tool, virutally defunct, and defeintely defunct as a throwing weapons, pure Hollywood that one is.
CC

------------------
RealMaps Site Coordinator
Want to be an Infiltrator? Get the goods at:
http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/

Mr. T
8th Apr 2000, 01:38 PM
Like in Predator when Arnold threw that foot long knife at the bad guy, sticking him to a post and said "Stick around".

Stick_96
8th Apr 2000, 03:24 PM
Who is that kid anyway OICW. Thinking that i play too much Goldeneye thats an insult. Now that game sucks. Which game i would be referring to is Soldier of Fortune. Throwing a knife gives u the extra sneak attack advantage. No one said that u had to throw your knive u can hang on to yours and ill just throw mine in your face /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

CoffeyCan
8th Apr 2000, 04:27 PM
Your missing the point here Stick. Throwing knives are not realistic, and INF is generally all about realism, so going with that line of thought, throwing knives have no place in the game, whether I hold it in my hand or throw it. Please show me even one documented use of a throwing knife being used in modern warfare (Vietnam and after) and Ill be happy, but I dont think youll find anything. Dont be stressed and upset, just realize that some suggestions dont fit with the theme of the game and are best saved for another mutator.

------------------
RealMaps Site Coordinator
Want to be an Infiltrator? Get the goods at:
http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/

Bad.Mojo
8th Apr 2000, 05:01 PM
I played with some throwing knives. They aren't all that easy. In fact, its easier to kill something with a scopeless rifle from long range than it is to hit something ten feet in front of you with a throwing knife.

Mr. T
8th Apr 2000, 07:17 PM
Forget about missing the point about realism. I loved Goldeneye. Some of the best maps for an FPS I've seen.

Corin
8th Apr 2000, 08:07 PM
Throwing knives are extremely hard to use, likewise with throwing stars.

Tell you the truth, a hatchet is soooo much easier to aim with, although every once in a while the handle hits instead of the blade /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Bad.Mojo
8th Apr 2000, 08:11 PM
Yiah, a hatchet has a nice weight to it though. Its the same reason I can't play baseball with an aluminum bat.

Resocluvar
8th Apr 2000, 10:25 PM
Don't be too hard on stick just yet.
I've had several months experience with throwing knives, and at first, they are EXTREMELY hard to use, but after a few months practice, your ability to control the spin and make it fly evenly will grow with amazing results.

Eventually, I was able to hold the knife in my hand, spin around, and hurl the knife immediately at what I saw, driving it in deep.

Using the right knife, and holding it right is vey important, being devoted to practicing is by far the hardest part, because it is indeed very frusterating at first.

In real life combat, though, throwing knives have the problem of hitting moving targets, wheras the knife's angle isn't proper by the time it reaches the moving target. Against a still target, throwing the knife is much more suitable, though, as you will always be able to throw a knife deeper into anything that you could stab it in(I'm not positive of why this is either).

As stick was reffering to soldier of fortune game, if you check it out, you will see that it makes throwing knives look DAMN good. You have about 6 knives, and you can hurl them, which lodges into the wall, or even bodies, and then run over and pick them back out(another advantage of knives, they are reusable ammunition). Although the unrealistic nature of the game tends to cross out the idea of using this as a realistic basis.

In all, I think throwing knives would be the last idea to consider implementing in inflitration, but it does carry a possibility. Give the one knife you carry the ability to be thrown, thrown knives, like I said, do much more penetration and damage that hand held attempts.

mp*lennon
12th Apr 2000, 10:06 AM
Actually balanced throwing knives can be thrown with great accuracy by someone who has had enough experience from them. Some examples of good throwing knives:
http://www.allblackbelt.com/images/2bb.jpg
http://www.allblackbelt.com/images/2r.jpg
http://www.allblackbelt.com/images/2s.jpg

But then again, these would own in INF (hehe): http://www.allblackbelt.com/images/2cc.jpg

ShakKen
12th Apr 2000, 12:22 PM
From what little ninjitsu i've learned, I can tell you even throwing knives MADE for throwing(shuriken) is extremely difficult.

Expecially if you only have 1 knife.

What of you miss? XP

Mr. T
12th Apr 2000, 02:46 PM
Ninjitsu? ...I'm going to learn ninjitsu??

Resocluvar
12th Apr 2000, 04:52 PM
Come to think of it, throwing spikes would be very practical. Spikes are far easier to use than knives. Then again, practicality compared to throwing knives isn't saying they are as good as guns.

Snakeye
12th Apr 2000, 05:59 PM
If you want something like knife throwing, enable the razorjack..

Snakeye /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------
anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing

Toysrme
13th Apr 2000, 08:27 PM
the reason you can throw a throwing knive deeper into some1 than by pushing is mainly inertia, and the fact that it's a throwing knife, not a stabbing knife(not that a throwing knife wouldn't hurt like a mofo LoL!)

Stick_96
14th Apr 2000, 12:06 AM
Throwing a knife is actually more powerful than u would ever be able to stab. Take a knife for instance and a board lets say a pine 2x6. Grip the knife in your hand and stab it as hard as u can. The knife blade only penetrates the wood a little. Take the same knife and throw it as hard as u can and it will penetrate almost twice as far as what u could do when u stabbed it.

I have a Meterology class at school and we are studying tornadoes. I watched a video on the effects of flying debris. They had a long pipe that they could push air through it at 300mph. They put a toothpick in the tube and hit the button and it drove the toothpic all the way through a pine 1x6 so it stuck out both sides. Now take the toothpick in your hand and try to drive the toothpick through the wood with brute force most likely the toothpick will break or crush there for prooving that the knive has more potential of greater damage being thrown than being forced. (not saying that being up close dosent have its advanges)

ShakKen
14th Apr 2000, 03:14 AM
A slash will do more damage than a stab ever will=)

Catalyst
14th Apr 2000, 03:16 AM
I think Warren responded to this subject once that the basic reason you don't see knife throwing is once you've thrown it, you don't have it anymore /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I doubt it is basic practice for any military force, and thus will probably not make it into Infiltration. Sorry.

------------------
Chris Robbers
Infiltration Programmer

red0006
17th Apr 2000, 03:55 AM
Why throw the knife when you can have the pleasure of plunging it into your opponent, watching his/her life drain away......

------------------
"I feel I'm gettin' weaker, while Charlie's gettin' stronger in the jungle"

ShakKen
17th Apr 2000, 01:34 PM
Killing is quick. But death comes slow.

Anolis
17th Apr 2000, 06:21 PM
So....it has to be realistic and in use by a military force to be in this mod eh?

-------------------------------
- Anolis, "Just wondering."

Mr. T
17th Apr 2000, 07:42 PM
Generally speaking, I'd say yes. The team is striving for realism and practicality.

[This message has been edited by Mr. T (edited 04-17-2000).]

-Lost-
17th Apr 2000, 07:43 PM
a great man once told me "i learned to throw knives from a cuban friend--everybody there is taught to throw knives" doesn't make a difference, i just thought that was interesting...

Lost