Flechette shotgun round?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Tome

Feb 21, 2000
London, UK
Visit site
Hello everyone..
I've been reading around the internet and have come across the mention of a shotgun round that hold a number of flechettes inside it. Intended as close quarters ammo I would very much like to see it, as I rarely use the shotgun due to it being far too weak unless point blank. It was also said that the flechettes would penetrate kevlar along the weave!! So would it kill one shot. Weapons and ammo consultant Gryphon please help.

Tome

Bad.Mojo

Commander in Chief o' the BMA
Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
Flechettes are EVIL. Even I know that. That's where I draw the line. Besides, I think this may constitute a new weapon suggestion because if its not in the ammunition list its not an ammunition for Inf, which I think is along the lines of "Not In The Armory? Then Keep Your Mouth Shut About It." type of post.

So. w0rd.

Bad.Mojo

Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
A flechette is a small barb launched from a gun that can bend and follow your veins. Its like a little needle launched from a gun (a whole lot of them at once) that twist and turn inside your body, ripping you up. They can follow your veins and stuff like that. Excessively cruel. Worse than land mines.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Well AFAIK a flechette is some kind of steel 'arrow'.
They were first used by WW1 aircraft against entrenched soldiers, where they proved quite effective, because they went (nearly)straight down, and could penetrate a body when falling from heights greater than 300 meters.
I don't know to which extend flechettes are used today, the only example I know is the 70mm M255 warhead, which uses about 2000(?) 1.8 gramm steel rods, primariliy against infantry. In fact a flechette doesn't differ that much from standard shotgun ammo - they have just better penetration due to being made of steel and they can cause quite a damage because they are not stabilized -> they can twist'n'shout inside your body.

Snakeye /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------
anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing

Tome

Feb 21, 2000
London, UK
Visit site
I know that flechette rounds are 'evil', to my knowledge they make narrow deep wounds rather than a wound channel thus making them very difficult to treat. This could be reflected by making them require more medical kits to repair. Anyway I was suggest a way to let people use to shotgun more, it is beatifully textured. I'm sure i'm not the only one that hardly uses it for fear of death

Tome

Bad.Mojo

Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
To much Judge Dredd? THe only Judge Dredd I ever "saw" was sleeping through the entire movie. Anyways, flechettes can follow your veins because they are warm (obviously, you'd be pretty damn hot if you were just exposed to muzzle gases,) and thus maleable, so they can bend inside your body, and because your veins and arteries have rather thick walls, they can follow minor curves for a while without penetrating the vein or artery walls (which requires an acute angle to do so.) As for being impossible to treat, they are. They cause severe internal lacerations (sp?) and bend inside of you. They're like pieces of JHP flak, if you can imagine that.

Okay, picture this. A piece of a JHP round breaks up inside of you in thin, long pieces of lead. The lead is already sprawling out, twisting and turning, but they come apart and go in all directions. You have many tiny, major wounds that are near impossible to remove.

Very painful

Very drunk.

Back to playing Soldier of Fortune.

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Actually, flechette shells are basically shells holding a large number of sharp barbs. This special shape gives them very good penetration as compared to normal shotgun pellets and catastrophic tissue damage via mass lacerations.

Flechette bullets are cartridges filled with flechettes that release only after impact.

The flechettes are ussually flat and stabilised with tiny wings and hence it is impossible for them to be circulated in the bloodstream.

Tome

Feb 21, 2000
London, UK
Visit site
Infiltration is about realism right? The more likely the opponent is to die in real life the better. But back to the point, many people use the shotgun on a regular basis and are successful. If there are people out there give me some tips. I do like the shotgun style a lot

Tome

Bad.Mojo

Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
Are you sure about that Shak? I remember a few years back I was watching a documentary on some doctors in a war or something similar (medical and guns, whatever) and one of the things about flechettes was that they are malleable and bend, and that's what causes the major damage (they had an x-ray of the guys arm with all the flechettes visible, most of them had been bent) and the doctor said a major problem was that if any of those got in your bloodstream, they could be easily circulated and rip up your heart (your major arteries are pretty fat, after all) something fierce.

I dunno, maybe the doctor was full of himself, but thats what he said.

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Flechettes need to be made out of a solid/heavy element. Otherwise they don't have enough momentum penetrate. And if they're not rigid, they tumble and dont penetrate.

Tome

Feb 21, 2000
London, UK
Visit site
Bad.mojo is kinda right. The flechette itself is sometimes flat but not nearly as rigid as a bullet. So when it enters flesh it is deflected and bends, thus following curved paths in the body. The directions it bends in once it is inside depends on the tissue it encounters, always following the path of least resistance. The bit about following blood streams might be if the flechette shatters and little splinters get into the bloodstream. Just thought people would like to know

Tome