A new gamemode? What else?: Infiltration!!! Pls read!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Omega

Dec 19, 1999
How about a new gamemode that will set Infiltration apart: namely: Infiltration!

This will involve one team trying to infiltrate the other teams base with a little twist - they will be disguised as the other team!

Let's call the infiltrating team 'Team A' and the defense 'Team B'. A will come in by parachutes or a truck or simply walk in - they can already be disguised all they can rob a fallen B member of their clothes and use them.

'A' will then try to achieve some objectives, similar to Assault without being caught. Here's where 'hand signals' suggested in a previous post will come in handy. Each team beforehand can discuss the hand signals they'll use to identify each other. It can be possible in some games for each team to choose the same hand signals!!! At any time, team 'A' can strip to it's own uniform - though for most of the game everyone will have the same uniform. There might even be some sneaky 'cheating' by team B to say spray paint their own soldiers to differentiate them from team A - team A might catch on and spray paint their own soldiers!

You see the beauty of this gamemode? It's ORIGINAL, it's realistic, and it's highly tactical!

I think what Inf needs is something refreshingly different to other games. Let's face it, there are tons of up and coming 'realistic' mods for HL, Q3A and UT and they all seem pretty much the same. Inf needs something that will set itself apart. How difficult would an 'Infiltration gamemode' be anyway? Association is a powerful thing, if you can associate Infiltration gamemode with the Infiltration TC - it would put it on the map. Think how RollerBlades is associated with inline skates, or Xerox with photocopiers - Infiltration associated with Infiltration TC!

---
cheers!
AJY

ps. can we have some hostage rescue games where the hostages are actually captured soldiers (POWs) - it makes it more interesting than always rescuing civilians IMHO.

Also, can we also have more daylight maps? UT mappers have some fetish with the night! I think daylight is far more fun to frag in, I am sick of straining my eyes! Night time should be an occasion, rather than the norm! Not many battles are really fought at night anyway.

Don't frag me, love me.

Galaddin

Forum Drifter
Mar 15, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
well night is stealthier...

well how abou this type of game mode; a bombing mission where one team B has to bomb a location which is heavily guarded by team A but is in an urban area which has a lotta innocent by standers. Team B can only buy small arms like pistols and uzi's and only light armour which can be concealed under street clothes which will be their skin. Team A has to watch out for team B but cannot differenciate them from civilians which will be bot controlled until team A pulls out their guns or tries to plant the bomb and team A can't simply shoot at any civilian's or will have to undergo a penalty... however, team A can buy however many guns and armour they can carry which makes them stick out like sore thumbs ... how's it sound?

It is impossible for the glass to be half full or half empty for you see: there is no glass

Omega

Dec 19, 1999
Put the 'team' back into 'Team DM'!

Hi Galaddin, I think that's a good idea, I always like to have civilians around. When I read the review of Rogue Spear's add-on Urban Operations, the reviewer made it sound like there were hundreds of civilians walking around in the subway level. When I got around to playing it, it was so stupid! There were only 2-3 civilians and about 20 terrorists in the whole subway station! How realistic is that?? I doubt though, that today's technology would allow so many civilians in one location at any one time. Maybe Inf can design 'dumb' civilians that just walk around and pretty much do nothing. That would be better than an empty street!

However -- back to my Infiltration gamemode idea - here's an idea that is easy to implement and refreshingly different. Imagine the fun it would be walking around and not knowing who your enemy is - you press a button and your 'voice' speaks out "identify yourself!" - then you get ready to see who can press the trigger faster when each person reveals their secret sign!!! It's really cool! It is the ultimate in REAL infiltration!!!

--------------------

Now - back to my subject. When I watch these CS LAN games (and there are heaps of network gaming centres here in Singapore, and ALL of them play CS alone!!), I notice that there is NO teamplay. Everyone is just running around with their own agendas, in a basic team mode.

I think it would be really good if Inf can come up with a TRUE 'Team Infiltration' game mode. Each person takes turn being the Team Captain. The Team Captain then has an interface available only to himself, similar to SWAT3 interface (use mouse to point, execute order such as 'BREACH and CLEAR' or 'SEARCH' to a particular team of 2. You team is split into 2 subteams, team red and team blue each with 2 members - but this will be determined by how many people are playing at the time of course for Team Infiltration. Orders are then given out on a subteam basis - like 'red team breach and clear'). The team and the captain scores based on how many injured/dead or how many objectives cleared, and ALSO whether an order is disobeyed. I think SWAT3 has the best implementation of team-play, very simple and easy to use.

ALL orders must be obeyed, or else a penalty is issued to the subordinate's score. The captain can switch views and see a fly's eyeview of each teammate, which can facilate the orders to give. The captain can issue orders from the fly's eyeview - eg. point to an exit/door and issue a command such as 'search' or 'breach and clear'.

Now doesn't that make for a MUCH more tactical game? Beats meaningless arcade-like fragging you see nowadays. It allows 'hand-signals' to be more effectively used, because issuing orders will automatically cause hand-signals to appear on the 'captain' model. And everybody takes turns being the captain! - now that's real!

SWAT3 shows it is all possible, now the thing is to implement it in a multiplayer UT environment. I tell you, if Inf can successfully implement an 'Infiltration' gamemode, and 'Team Infiltration' gamemode - it will REALLY make Inf unique and the ULTIMATE real-life game to play. It will make CS look like Wolfenstein 3D!

----

I really believe my 'Infiltration' gamemode idea would be a hoot to play! Enormous fun - an element of suspense, surprise and thrill thrown in. When was the last time you played a FPS and really had any suspense? Admit it - mostly it's just running around, strafing and shooting - boring as a dead cat. An 'Infiltration' gamemode allows for teams to absolutely HAVE to formulate tactics in order to identify each other - they are FORCED by nature to work as a team! Not only that, it allows for some really cool sneak attacks - no more Rambo attacks, you can play every other mod for that!

Imagine walking up to your enemy who's manning his post. He says "identify yourself!", you ignore and nonchanlently approach him. He gets a little nervous and says again "identify yourself!", not sure whether you heard the first time - and he takes a step back. Then before you know it, while he is distracted, your teammate comes from behind and knifes him! Now can you imagine such 'assists' happening in a regular Team DM? 'Infiltration gamemode' allows for such sneaky tactics to even happen!

What do you all think? Inf team - you must admit it's a good idea and WILL set you apart and above the crowd!

cheers,
AJY

Don't frag me, love me.

[This message was edited by ajy on Jun 15, 2000 at 06:32.]

hmm...how would the teams decide on how to identify themselves and all that? the way you make it sound, teamchat would have to be turned off or else the disguises wouldn't be all that great...this sounds like it would work and be a lot of fun, but only in organized groups like clans and offices and what not...random internet games generally don't have people cooperating...

Lost

Omega

Dec 19, 1999
Exactly my point!

Random internet games do not have much cooperation. Then what on earth is the point of a team game??

Imagine in the future, an internet virtual basketball game. Obviously you'll have to do some teamwork for you to win right?

Infiltration gamemode FORCES you to rethink the way you play team FPS.

Team chat is still available, but as we all know, it takes quite some time to type that stuff out. The reason why this will work, is because there will be plenty of times, you're not quite sure if your enemy is actually one of your own, unless you devise a clever secret sign. Devising the sign is lot's of fun, because there is incentive to change what it is every round. You'll also be trying to learn the opponent's secret sign too, and hopefully trick him into revealing it first - then you can just tell your mates. The thing is - the SUSPENSE is already there!! You see someone - your heart beats faster - friend or foe?

Secret signs could be anything really. If hand signals are implemented, it should be a breeze. If not, it could be something like jumping and moving left or something (hand signals better!).

Speech is bound to keys - such as "identify yourself". This would be nice, as I'd like to have more communication happening in a game. Two words is a good start.

cheers,
AJY

Don't frag me, love me.

MiscMan

The Grand Elitist
Dec 24, 1999
Well, it's often difficult to use teamplay in "pickup" games. Usually it takes a clan or somebody to get a team play going on. The disguise thing sounds interesting, cause you might accidentally shoot your own teamates !

It looks doable. But i sure couldnt!

----

-MiscMan

smiley7.gif

If all pulled in one direction, the world would keel over.

-Yiddish Proverb