AUG Variant

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Tome

Feb 21, 2000
London, UK
Visit site
About that 1X scope. I'm sure there is a Steyr AUG special reciever version, with a NATO standard scope rail. This means it can probably take a very large range of different scopes. Anyway who started comparing AUGs to MP5s. they were built for completely different things.
Even though there is a super short barrel that can be fitted in seconds, doesn't mean that the AUG was designed as a SMG.

Oh who said that the FAMAS was lighter. The AUG is supposed to be 3.60kg and the FAMAS 3.61kg. So at best they are the same weight.(sorry Shakken)
Oh the trigger system is heavy but a work of art

/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
The FAMAS is 3.56kg my friend. I see someone's trying to convert the 8 pound weight from Remtek. Don't talk to me like I don't know my guns.

If the AUG trigger was such a 'work of art', it wouldnt have been considered the achilles heel that had Australian soldiers swapping their AUSteyrs for M4s in Indonesia.

ShakKen
Infiltration
3D artist

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
40g difference, really important..
btw, before ANY of you tells the world what his gun weights, could you tell me if this means loaded or not?(a 30 rds mag might make a difference - since in real life I won't run around with an empty gun..)

Snakeye /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
(who speaks german and just wonders if any of this might be misinterpreted???)

anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
If you take into account that the AUG is built primarily of polymers and the FAMAS primarily of steel, it does bother me some that the AUG could have been a whole lot lighter.

If they add a place to rest one's index finger giving them leeway to lighten the trigger, change that push though selector to a switch, rip those useless iron sights off the scope, put in a proper aperture sight, give the barrel a shroud instead of that silly foregrip and allow the use of STANAG magazines, then perhaps the AUG would truly be the perfect rifle.

But they have not, and have no interest of doing so. So the AUG will remain an infantryman's rifle. But little else. There is only so much good swapping barrels will do you.

ShakKen
Infiltration
3D artist

StaticX

Jul 22, 2000
www.massassi.com
Re:

i don't mean to be annoying, but the Austrian Army uses them /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
i don't like the AUG, it nearly all plastic, and i'm not that big of a fan of the bullpup firing configuration, but the best part of the gun is that a left handed person like me could shoot it becuase you can toggle the ejection ports (same with FA-MAS)

-Stat

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
OK, to all left handers who didn'r read it before:

Forget about setting the AUG to left ejection.
The Austrian Army HAS EVERYBODY(means all right and all left handers) shooting that thing right sided.
BTW: I don't think that in a real hairy situation you'd have the time to set any bullpup from left to right.(though the FAMAS is said to have a rather fast mechanism)

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Steyr manufacture left hand bolt and carrier parts but these need to be purchased seperately. Needless to say, with left handers being a minority, and weapons tending to change hands allot, this creates a rather serious logistic problem.

Snakeye: Correct, the FAMAS and the SA-80 both can be converted to left hand use simply by inverting the bolt. On the FAMAS, the cheekpiece is placed on the other side of the reciever while on the SA-80, the ejection port is shut.

ShakKen
Infiltration
3D artist

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
Yeah, guess so...

Obviously the added cost of getting both models would keep an armed service from doing that...

Is that darn ejection port so badly placed that you can't shoot from the left side without getting the shells in your face?

In a world with 1/3 left-handed people, the choice of weapon for an armed service would then seem rather odd, at least unless they consider getting 1/3 lh variants too...

(screwed up the first post /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

[This message was edited by Wolf Being on Aug 22, 2000 at 03:31.]

Galaddin

Forum Drifter
Mar 15, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
so if a right hander fired a bullpup configured for a left hander, it could cause him considerable pain? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

It is impossible for the glass to be half full or half empty for you see: there is no glass

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
...making it imo th worst possible choice for an armed service, unless you're going to get both variants. Left handed people are by neurological design not capable of handling things efficiently right-handedly and vice-versa...

But hey, it's not like anybody in the buget-office will get hurt right? Just a couple of line animals. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
Yeah sorry, I meant just the AUG and especially as opposed to the FAMAS. The bullpup design itself I find pretty useful, although ugly as hell. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
one question:
how long does it take to change the FAMAS from left to right?

I just would like to know wether it is possible under battlefield conditions.(i.e: some soldier is about to attack your position, you lost your rifle(which souldn't happen!!) and your friend was a leftie(or rightie) but you not)

Liquid Night

Argumentative type.
May 18, 2000
Dublin
Around 1 in 9 people are left handed, not 1 in 3.

"Consistency is the last resort of the unimaginative" - Wilde.

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
Yeah, whatever. Probably something in between and dependant on ethnological factors too. But it was an older statistic I used. 1/9 seems a little far on the other side, imo. Fact is you are exposing them to an increased threat to their life if they can't use their firearm the way their brains would require them to. If the cost of purchasing 1/9 lefty variants is too high, you're looking at the wrong rifle if you ask me...

DEICIDE[NBF]

Apr 1, 2000
www.go.to
response of FAMAS-expert ;) ...

to change of side, u need to demounted entirely the breech ("ensemble mobile" or culasse in french) and all little pieces in it (percutor etc ...)
so concretely ; u must change of side obturator and ejector (2 tiny pieces)
remounted all, and don't forget to change of side the cheekrest ("appui-joue") of side too (if u don't want hurt ur face when u fire /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

as u can see, u can't logically change of side in battle field condition (too much stress and risk IMO /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif)

but FAMAS was made to be demounted very fast so it's not impossible (and impossible is not french ! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) for some vet'

so if u want survive, it's preferable to keep ur weapon at all cost /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
because :
MY RIFFLE IS MY LIFE ! WITHOUT MY RIFFLE I'M USELESS ! ... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Just wanted to know how long it takes.

as for why you lost your rifle:
-Maybe you were just landing at Normandy and that rifle dragged you under water so you had to drop it.(plain unrealistic explanation)
-Your gun exploded because you used a wrong bullet(like those the SOG tried to scatter around NVA bodies - the bullets exploded when fired, sending the receiver right through your eye).(still unrealistic explanation..)
-You were knocked down by an explosion, and when you stood up it simply wasn't there anymore..