Which way is North?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
In Actual Reality, I have a natural sense of direction, I can usualy feel which way is north (right now at my computer I'm facing about 45 degrees east of north)

In some maps I have this weird sense of which way is north, however there is no way of really knowing which way is north because in the UT universe there is no north (for some reason in DM-Malaria I refer to the end of the map with the crashed plane as south, I just realised I do this and I think it's weird, but could be useful).

So it would be cool if we all had compasses, and all maps had a north. In real combat you would know which way was north, and knowing where north is is central to your ability to tell your team mates where you are or where they need to go (eg. you say to your team "I'm just west of the base, Bob you go around the east side and Larry you hit the northwest entrance with a grenade and we'll all enter the base on that mark").

Unfortinatly this may require the map designers to denote north when they build the maps, but is there some sort of data that exists in maps now that could be used to define north (I'm assuming that maps use coordinates, so there must be a 0,0 coordinate, maybe we could say that if no north position is defined by the map designer that 0,1 is always east of 0,0 or something like that).

I hate to see the Inf release date pushed back further, but if this is not too difficult to do, I think it would add siginifantly to the realism of the map and greatly improve team tactics.

ZundSig.GIF

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
Funny you mention it, I was just thinking about this myself the last couple of days. I know in Deus Ex you have a compass, so it's certainly possible w/ the UT engine. If the INF team doesn't go for it in 2.8, maybe 3.0 then. It's definitely a great idea.
<h2><font face="symbol">
a 1001</font></h2>

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne

Galaddin

Forum Drifter
Mar 15, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
hrmm a topographical map for those really big maps would be cool too /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

It is impossible for the glass to be half full or half empty for you see: there is no glass