UnrealEd for the Macintosh ? ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MacDragon

I'm writing from OzUnreal, the Australian Unreal Community's website. While you may have heard of us since our relaunch went live on 9 March (we've had a few features here on PU since then), you may not know that we are also an Unreal Mac site!

Currently, we are runnning an important survey, "UnrealEd on the Macintosh", from our page. It addresses the lack of the Unreal Editor s/w in Macintosh versions (while PC buyers receive it at no additional charge). No matter where Mac Unrealers are located, if you use a Mac and have considered purchasing Unreal and like the idea of level design, or if you are using Unreal/UT on a Mac or are considering the purchase of a Mac for the purpose of gaming and game design, please go to OzUnreal's 'Unreal on the Macintosh' page and follow the link to the survey there.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten" - well, I want *more* from my Mac, I want *more* from Epic Megagames and Westlake Interactive and *more* from Apple. I don't think I'm alone (in fact, from the responses so far, I *know* I'm not alone!).

If you're a Unreal/UT Mac user, we're hoping you'll take the survey soon - good luck with your fragging!

MacDragon
OzUnreal - The Australasian Unreal Community

[As we intend to present the results of this survey to the Epic/Westlake/Apple mob and hope that it accurately represents the opinions of the Mac community, we would ask that PC and Linux users refrain from participating. Sorry! ;-{]

I'm there!! I have purchased full versions for both platforms and all I got on the Mac side was a T-Shirt. It is a cool T-Shirt, but....

I have started creating levels and I will say that I don't like having to use my NT box to work on this stuff.

If a version does come to the Mac, I'd like to see it produced in C++, instead of the SSLLOOOWWW Visual Basic version currently out. I have to give it some credit though, It gets the job done. I just would rather be using my G3/450 instead of my PII/233.

D

Das Fragmeister

I'll definitely check it out.

I've created 70 or so textures for a friend's map on my Mac. It's ridiculous that the editor wasn't ported over. UT is being sold as a platform, not just a multiplayer or single player game, and that fact that Westlake Interactive/MacSoft, etc..., have failed to port an EDITOR to the system that is the standard for CREATIVE PROFESSIONALS is a complete travesty for the entire UT community.

If you think creative maps are coming out by PC users...just think of what would come out of all the professional graphic artists, designers, multimedia professionals, etc..., that use Macs.

Notice how few custom game textures, or texture-related sites, there are? Think it has something to do with the fact that all these creative professionals have no outlet to put their own work in a map?

The biggest insult was the "$150,000 Make Something Unreal" sticker on the Mac copy of UT I purchased. Talk about feeling deceived once you get the CD in the drive.

And you can quote me on all of this. :)

-Scott

D

Das Fragmeister

I'll definitely check it out.

I've created 70 or so textures for a friend's map on my Mac. It's ridiculous that the editor wasn't ported over. UT is being sold as a platform, not just a multiplayer or single player game, and that fact that Westlake Interactive/MacSoft, etc..., have failed to port an EDITOR to the system that is the standard for CREATIVE PROFESSIONALS is a complete travesty for the entire UT community.

If you think creative maps are coming out by PC users...just think of what would come out of all the professional graphic artists, designers, multimedia professionals, etc..., that use Macs.

Notice how few custom game textures, or texture-related sites, there are? Think it has something to do with the fact that all these creative professionals have no outlet to put their own work in a map?

The biggest insult was the "$150,000 Make Something Unreal" sticker on the Mac copy of UT I purchased. Talk about feeling deceived once you get the CD in the drive.

And you can quote me on all of this. :)

-Scott

D

Das Fragmeister

Nice site, by the way, Mac.

I would suggest one thing, though...since you have a tutorial section accessible from the Mac area...you might want to clarify in large type, for enterprising newbies, that there is no UnrealEd for the Mac. Even though I knew there wasn't, after seeing your "has anybody made any UT components on a Mac?" post, I actually thought to cruise around your site awhile looking for any type of Unreal editing tools for the Mac. It's a little confusing...particularly because some of us want it really bad.

That's also part of this issue...Mac users pop up on this board and other Unreal boards weekly asking "Where do I get UnrealEd?"

Instead of a big "MSU" sticker, UT should be labeled with a large "NOTE: PACKAGE ONLY CONTAINS HALF OF THE UT EXPERIENCE. NO UNREALED INCLUDED" to save them some time on 1) Looking; and 2) Redundant posts.

PS- It might also be good to analyze how UnrealEd does under emulation, i.e., Virtual PC or SoftWindows. Preliminary analyses on this board suggests not well at all....

-Scott :)

Fragmeister,

Thanks for the positive feedback!

I think the Macintosh architecture is nearly there. It's just a matter of time. I also believe open discussions within the eyesight of the developers, can be nothing but healthy for the Mac gaming community. The more we have our voices heard, the more attractive the Mac will be for developers to target. MAC GAMERS and EDITORS STAND UP AND BE COUNTED!!! Personally, I'm getting my MFA in 3D Animation, and there's nothing I'd like better than to be using the high end 3D tools on the Mac.

Back on the subject...I do believe that a good workable approach might be to port UnrealEd to Linux first, (all of the updaters are coming out for Linux first anyway), and as OSX rolls out, the port to the Mac side would be just a tad more than a recompile. Unix to Unix.

Say no more. For now, heh.

D

Das Fragmeister

Hey Spookytooth,

Checked out your site...you're exactly the type of person we want to have an UnrealEd for the Mac. It frustrates me so much how ignorant the lack of a port is, if it hasn't been done for purely technical reasons.

The "creatives" of the Mac community would make UT maps/textures/graphics that would kick-*** over any of UT's competition...so short-sighted....

-Scott

D

Das Fragmeister

Two things:

I totally agree that this stuff needs to stay visible...I had Unreal-related site admin tell me that the reason why they won't do a port is because PC users shout and scream their demands, whereas Mac users have remained relatively disenchanted and haven't been vocal enough in their interests.

....If that's the case, they can consider this a LOUD PROTEST.

By the way? Have you made anything Unreal related? I've been doing heavy texture work, but I'm reliant on a PC-using-mapper to do all the UnrealEd work and import them. It really kills motivation and innovation when you can't see your creations in-game. It's been very difficult to make texture sets for him, since you'd really have to map them onto a room to get a good idea of how they relate, not to mention making them the exact size required for certain models, etc...

-Scott

[osX]Phantom

May 3, 2000
I've been searching the web for any info on downloading UnrealED so I could test it under emulation, but I can't find it anywhere. Does anybody have an info on how to get it?

BTW, I have a Rev.0 B&W 400Mhz G3 w/256MB ram.

Thanks for the help.
[osX]Phantom

D

Das Fragmeister

Search the archive for "Mac and UnrealEd." I don't know if there is a place where it's readily available for download.

Also, search for "UnrealEd and Emulation."

From previous posts I've seen here, UnrealEd is such a RAM-sucker and unstable that it's not usable under emulation with programs like Virtual PC. But that is only based on the second-hand information I have gotten...maybe you'll have better experience.

There are previous threads around, though. :)