Climbing

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

the real pacman

Gwen's my hoe
Sep 1, 2000
I was just reading up on the matrix movie and I was thinking that maybe jumping could pull into a climb. For example your charecter would jump, grab the ledge and pull himself up. Within reasonable heights of course.

upso.gif
I'm just a regular Joe with a regular job, I'm your average white suburbonite slob.
-- Dennis Leary

Goat Fucker

No Future!
Aug 18, 2000
Denmark
Visit site
I have often thought of that me self, afterall, the "wall" is a standard obstical on any military training uhm...whats that english word im looking for...DOH. (u should get the meening anyways)

But maybe its too hard to impliment with the Unreal engine, what do i know anyways.

-Reality is now-

gfsig3.jpg

TimTim

Oct 23, 2000
It might look goofy anim-wise, but the game could "pull" you up a little bit if your jump is just a little low for the ledge, and then put you into prone or crouch position (depending how far it had to pull you up)...

HollowPoint

TBuildT mapper
Oct 21, 2000
Heheheh

Cool but..with full loadup you weight +- 150 Kilos..LOL..so 'pulling yourself up looks a bit difficult to me.. ;-)

greetz!

Mess with the Best...Die like the Rest...

TimTim

Oct 23, 2000
Well, it could be weight-dependant how far you can climb...

That suggestion also works for leaping from high places... when you land, you character lands into a crouch... I dunno.

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
I'd think jumping with all that gear would be pretty damn hard, too.

Has the INF team put any thought towards replacing jumping? I don't know how difficult that would be, but it seems logical for a game like INF to have clambering over obstacles instead of jumping. That way you eliminate bunny-hopping shotgun users altogether (since you couldn't just start clambering upwards in midair), and still give players the ability to get onto things.

Yes, its a war from the depth of time!

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
Jumping bunnies with shotguns.

Luckily, I think the stamina bar will take care of the jumping bunnies. I think it allows three consecutive jumps (with constant running) and the bar will be depleted. As to eliminating jumping altogether, uh... what about trenches? One wouldn't climb into it and then climb out of it to just get to the other side when you can *jump* it. However, adding clambering (is that the official term?) would be nice. Maybe any obstacle that's roughly chest high, you could hoist yourself onto it and end up in the prone position.

Galaddin

Forum Drifter
Mar 15, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
Don't think I'd like to see jumping eliminated altogether though...

It is impossible for the glass to be half full or half empty for you see: there is no glass

TimTim

Oct 23, 2000
Jumping isn't just for bunny hopping and getting over objects... It'd be nice to try to clear out of the way by jumping to the side, or to leap away from a grenade... Newmanx's thread explains some of that (with pictures, too! Yay!)

I_ABuGa

Vetran
Apr 27, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
uhm guys? Your backpack and kit alone is 30Kilos of weight. I just tried packing a backpack with some bricks in it and tied some on a vest just to see how this would feel like - I had a whole afternoon of nothing to do. I consider myself quite fit but this blows. Jumping gets tiring really easily and I couldnt jog my usual 6minute km.

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
Weight vs. weighing less?

In all fairness, soldiers drop much of their gear during an engagement. When a platoon of soldiers engage in combat, the first thing they do is drop their backpacks. It would be neat if INF had a QuickDrop key to allow the backpack to drop to the ground. But back to the clambering-weight relationship. Obviously, a man with 150 lbs. of gear can't pull himself up a ledge (or jump as far) as a man with just a MP5 and spare clips on the belt. Balance the clambering ability (and the jumping ability as well) by the weight of gear the player is carrying.

I_ABuGa

Vetran
Apr 27, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
Dupre has a point.

I got a partial list of stuff from a friend of mine who's in the S'pore Reserves. This is some of what's in the backpack (quoted directly):

-inedible canned tuna(makes a good grenade)
-dehydrated chicken rice,
-minifan,
-poncho,
-sleeping bag,
-2 one litre bottles,
-a 1 kilo knife,
-a 1 kilo machette,
-green spam that taste good,
-oreo cookies that are soft,
-some chocolate and
-magazines and sucj

except for the can of tuna, I'd drop everything. But please remember that it takes some time to un-kit yourself. There are a number of casts, vest clips and webbing to get off, its not just pull one string and it all comes off.

[This message was edited by I_ABuGa on Oct 26, 2000 at 12:00.]

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
Actually..

It is one pull and the backpack comes off. US military ALICE comprises of combat webbing with the essential combat gear (usually six clips, four grenades, sidearm with two clips, first aid kit, two canteens, and knife). Everything else stays in the backpack. One tug on either strap releases the whole pack.

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
Well, INF soldiers aren't lugging around full ruck sacks- their missions take 5 minutes, not overnight. Consider them like a small team of Army Rangers, dropped into a mission, not grunts marching through jungles until they find something. The only thing they'd have in their packs is what they need to fight, so they wouldn't drop it. That is still quite a bit of gear though, it's not just an MP5 with 2 mags, it's at least 2 weapons, both decked out with ammo (5 MP5 magazines is pretty stingey if you ask me, I'd have my vest covered with those suckers), body armor, ballistic helmet, radio gear, a knife, some grenades, and maybe a couple extra drum mags for your machine gunnners (who'll likely shoot alot more than they can carry).

And as for trenches, they are likely to be over 6 feet wide at the top, not to mention a great place for an enemy to hide and blast you in the balls if you try a pirrowette (sp?) over him. You wouldn't have to climb in, just drop down and climb up the other side.

But I guess they could keep jumping for things like that and fairly low obstacles, as long as the jump isn't as high as it is now- even if the bunnies only get a few jumps, getting immediate (no crouch first, nothing) air like an NBA player can really throw off people aiming at you.

Yes, its a war from the depth of time!

the real pacman

Gwen's my hoe
Sep 1, 2000
Late in the night

Alright now that you mention it I realise that it wouldn't be realistic. Take into consideration I was at work and I was tired and it was late at night.

helmet.gif
Love is just an excuse to forget about your problems.