PDA

View Full Version : Silencer for m9.

Liquid Night
6th Nov 2000, 06:54 AM
I was just wondering if you guys could implement a silencer for thr Beretta in the near future. I love running around levels like DM-Archives taking people out with the pistol James Bond style (not very realistic I know). It's great fun. A silencer would add to this. It would also be handy for snipers etc not wanting to attract attention to their position. I figure it wouldn't be too much work because you have already done the silencer for the MP5. I think I recall this topic coming up a while ago and I'm sorry if there's a valid reason not to do this. I just think it would add to the sneaky feeling of INF. Obviously the guy with the assault rifle is going to do better than the guy with the silenced peashooter but it is fun to use a silenced pistol from time to time. I know the SOCOM is going to have a silencer but we're not going to see that for a while and I figure this would be quick and fairly simple (for you guys) to do.

"Consistency is the last resort of the unimaginative" - Wilde.

ShakKen
6th Nov 2000, 07:43 AM
SUPPRESSOR damnit! Can't anybody say "suppressor"?!

Silencer indeed.

ShakKen
Infiltration (http://www.planetunreal.com/infiltration)
3D artist
special operations consultant

shadowkil
6th Nov 2000, 09:33 AM
can we have one for the rifles as well? =) I'm not sure just how effective suppressors are on .50 cal rifles, but you can get one here (http://www.awcsystech.com/turbodyne.htm). "Eliminates the need for the shooter and observer to wear hearing protection"

]PaS[ShogunAssassin
6th Nov 2000, 11:29 AM
If you could get suppresors for other weapons it would be nice (as long as they are really available). Imagine a DM where the fighting noises are limited to cartridge cases tinkling onto the floor and shouts - scary stuff /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

On a different note, Shakken, do the suppressors cut down the amount of flash from a muzzle?

Ta

The_Fur
6th Nov 2000, 01:27 PM
some do, however as far as i know "supressors" /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif also lower the penetrating power of the weapon and for a suppressor to really be effective you would need to use subsonic ammunition, taking even more power away.

Crosshairs are for wimps /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Curtz
6th Nov 2000, 01:52 PM
Gryphon, Shakken, or anyone else who knows. Could we have a brief explanation of how a suppressor works?

Lags a bitch, and then you die.
Official "paranoid-nut" of the BMA, and ex-evil overlord wannabe.

DeadeyeDan[ToA]
6th Nov 2000, 02:10 PM
Sort of, Fur. If you want to try and remain undetected even after firing, you can't have the bullet making a sonic boom as it flies through the air. Some surpressors (like the integral one on the MP5SD) can reduce the speed of the bullet enough to make it subsonic, with others that don't reduce the speed you have to use subsonic ammo (FYI the .45 is naturally subsonic, so you don't need to reduce the power to suppress it).

And suppressors can be effective in certain ways even with supersonic ammo. When that suppressed .50 BMG in that link goes off, anyone near it will still hear the sonic boom of the bullet, but locating the shooter will be much harder, (because the source of the only noise travelled so much, and because muzzle flash is greatly reduced), and the shooter may be more accurate (the noise and recoil are reduced so he won't tense his muscles as much in preparation for the shot).

Dupre
6th Nov 2000, 03:01 PM
There are different suppressors that specialize in sound signatures and/or flash patterns. The basic function of the suppressor on any rifle is to block the muzzle flash from the shooter's line of sight so he won't be blinded. Other purposes for the suppressor are reduction in flash and sound signatures with tradeoffs in ballistic performance, but at the very least it should protect the shooter from the flash. That's why most AR-15 owners have some sort of muzzle flash suppressor attached to the end of the barrel. There was a time after the NFA was passed in 1994 when the ATF was loosely intrepreting the NFA's restriction on what was exactly a suppressor. It left a lot of room for the ATF to prosecute infractions on a "bunch of words". They finally agreed that a legal, post-ban suppressor to be one that yielded the same flash and sound signature as an unsuppressed barrel. So what's the difference between an open barrel and a suppressed barrel when the signatures are the same? A suppressed barrel redirects the exhaust gases, preferably in ways beneficial to the user. In the case of a civilian AR-15, it directs the flash away from the shooter's line of sight and may also redirect the sound laterally instead of out of the front. Some shooting ranges don't allow the redirection of the blast to the sides because it increases the noise into the neighboring fire lines, but survivialists want this because it's harder to locate a shooter if the sound is coming from a different direction than the bullet. Anyway, I'm ranting, but that's the basic application of suppressors. Military applications of this is just more of it - they hide the flash more and they suppress the sound more. Finally, suppressors can't silence the sonic boom of bullets when they break the sound barrier. For snipers, that's not a problem because by the time the sound arrives at the target, the bullet's already hit. One shot, one kill. Then haul your butt elsewhere fast.

ShakKen
6th Nov 2000, 08:06 PM
A wipeless suppressor simply redirects the wave motion of the sound travelling though tha barrel as well as slowing down the combusting gases as they leave the muzzle. This reduces the report of the rifle but does nothing to quieten the supersonic crack of the bullet leaving the barrel(160 db in it's own right. That makes for +/-90% of the firearm's report.).

Therefore, subsonic ammunition can be applied. But with lightwieght ammunition that is designed to travel fast in order to produce significant terminal ballistics, as in 5.56mm and 5.7mm. This tends to produce some pretty pissweak ammo.

Wiped suppressors(silencers) such as the integral suppressor in the MP5SD, reduce the speed of the bullet as it travels through a series of buffers(construction varies). Now obsolete in concept. The old Russian 5.45mm pistol suppressors were filled with steel wool that would disentigrate after a few rounds.

Suppressors eliminate or significant reduce muzzle flash.

ShakKen
3D artist

The_Fur
6th Nov 2000, 11:40 PM
so if sub-sonice ammo makes your gun so weak, why don't they just hurl rocks?

farrp
7th Nov 2000, 12:53 AM
I also would like to see a SUPPRESSOR on the M9....please.

ShakKen
7th Nov 2000, 02:50 AM
Using a suppressor and regular ammunition on a rifle makes it a superb sniping weapon because although the report is still very loud, the sound is non directional, so the targets will not be able to tell which direction the shots are coming from.

Pistol rounds still have excellant ballistics when suppressed and subsonic. Making weapons like the mp5 and uzi perfect for CQB.

Though if you think that a suppressed M4 is a better weapon for that purpose, I'm inclined to point my finger at you and laugh.

ShakKen
3D artist

Eddybaby
7th Nov 2000, 03:00 AM
Bloody surpressor...

Low Signature Device!!

Sorry, i just think that it is a cool idea...

Anyways... When is there going to be a proper PROJECTED laser sight that bots use too... i am probably being too fast but Deus Ex has one!!??

Eddy..

/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Remember Kids, Play Fair! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

The_Fur
7th Nov 2000, 03:33 AM
yeah, bots don't seem to be to happy with the weapons attachments, at least i almost never see any but the m203.

Galaddin
7th Nov 2000, 06:48 AM
Yeah, and they don't seem to use the AKMSU drum either...

The only thing that is better than cheap is free /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dupre
7th Nov 2000, 09:28 AM
They sure are grenade happy now. If you've tried the map DM-MuseumMadness, you know what I mean.

Liquid Night
9th Nov 2000, 09:47 AM
So is there any chance of getting a SUPPRESSOR!!! <g> For the m9. As you said, pistol rounds have excellent ballistics when suppressed. I think it would be fun. Any chance? Pretty please?

"Consistency is the last resort of the unimaginative" - Wilde.

Lord_Bunker
9th Nov 2000, 12:23 PM
i was reading that your not supposed to use subsonic ammo with the mp5sd. it's designed to reduce the bullets veolcity its self so if you use subsonic ammo you basically get an expensive peashooter. that and dampers arn't designed to make a gun shut up. it's more to make it sound like something other than a gun. the other issue of dampers is that they make the gun slightly less realiable since they can get fouled up.

Lord Bunker
Ruler of The Bunkvanian Empire
"only the first shot truly matters, everything else is just a waste of paint."

[This message was edited by Lord Bunker on Nov 09, 2000 at 14:15.]

deathren
12th Nov 2000, 03:17 PM
Silencer for the robar! Heh heh heh

http://unreal.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?s=10009422&a=ga&ul=125091982

"Something about the battle Excites people's emotions."

-Lady Une, Gundam Wing