When it goes online we need....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RAQ

Jul 30, 2000
Visit site
1) A way to be able to see what gear your team is using.
If we play a round based game (like CS) then between the rounds you get about 5 seconds to buy gear. During this time you have the buy menu - but it should fill the entire screen. The rest of the screen should show you teammates' name and load out.

2) Since this is played on large maps, it could take 4 ever for the last two players to connect. What about having a "satelit" - sweep every 20 seconds that would show all players position on the radar, with the "bleep's" lasting but freezed for 4-5 seconds? Sweep could be more frequent as the number of players go down /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

3) I wouldnt spend too much time enhancing the bots - since they are "OK" right now. And who needs bots when you can have humans /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
INF is not CS.

Infiltration is not Counterstrike. The INF team has put cost into the equation only for the sake of preventing players from having a loadout with the PSG1 and anything other than a pistol. Second, it is rather silly to have military soldiers "buying" equipment because he died and lost his rifle in the previous round. Armies of the world are equipped with the best that their countries' can afford. Also, the loadout system implemented in INF is suppose to eliminate all the micro-managing of equipment prior to rounds. Finally, if loadouts of your team is to be displayed, it could be put in the score/kill screen but UT already has enough problems displaying all of the player names. There's not much room for anything else.

The satellite idea, however good intentioned, has flaws. One, it doesn't exist in the world (even if Tom Clancy wrote about that super-duper heart beat monitor in Rainbow Six). Two, it defeats the point of snipers. Why would anybody bother with a sniper rifle and sneaking around when everybody knows where he is?

As to enhancing the bots, there are some things that need to be altered. For instance, bots are used to the normal UT damage system where they can take several hits, run away, and grab health packs. Since one or two shots can kill someone in INF, they just run right out in the open like a herd of sheep even though there is a pile of bodies on the ground. INF is all about realism, and the bot AI needs to be modified.

I apologize if I sound harsh but the last thing on the minds of the INF team is creating a CS clone. And most of us playing INF don't want that either.

RAQ

Jul 30, 2000
Visit site
Coordinating team

No problem!

Its true about the money - making your army pay for its own gear is feudal!
(it adds fun, but takes away realism)

As for coordinating gear - i still think its important to prevent all players on a team ending up with sniper gear.
The best way is a one-screen-shows-all. But if the text cant fit on screen - perhaps a "loading" room should be used.
Where your team players are in a "loading" room and can see the primary gear, just by looking at eachother.

As for in game coordination I dont know much about UNREAL, but do know that most games' generic text/voice funktions arent good enough.

What buttons do you press to tell the others: there are 2 snipers on the north roof
you are flanking right
need 1 to follow you
need 2 to flank left
you need suppressive fire
and a smoke screen

Most of theese can be used by combining numbers (1,2,3.. many, rest), directions (up, down, left, right, north south..) and actions (follow, spotted, snipe, suppress..).

[spotted] [2] [sniper] [up] [north]
[orders]
[1] [follow]

[2] [go]

[rest] [suppress] [cover] [smoke]
[do it]

would that work?​

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
Well, there isn't really a way of preventing everybody from taking sniper rifles. If a team really wanted to, they could. But if the INF team continues to tweak the art of sniping and making it harder to do, teams might not do that.

As to knowing your buddies' loadout, maybe put the name of the person's loadout with the health status when you look at another person in game? I usually name my loadouts to what they're used for. And this wouldn't impact performance because you're just displaying a simple line of text and not doing an inventory of a person every time you look at them. Question is whether or not another team can see this info. Good, bad?

TimTim

Oct 23, 2000
Dupre, good, easy-to-do idea. The loadout name might not always be indicative ("New Loadout"), but it's a quick, simple thing to do. Belaboring match preparation is a bad thing to do for casual multiplayer games, leave the complex plans for clans and such.

shadowkil

Oct 19, 2000
Camp Lejeune, NC, USA
radio communication

Ooooh, let's borrow another feature from AQ2 =) The way they handled radio comm was great - everybody had some .wavs and you hit a key and everybody on your team hears it - there were numbers 1-10, directions, enemy spotted, enemy down, team mate down, i'm hit, cover me, team report in, reporting in, go, and i think that's about it... also had a feature so you could partner with a person and have a seperate channel just to communicate with them. was great, with a few key strokes, you could say things like '2 enemies spotted left; i'm hit, cover me - go up' etc...

Curtz

May 31, 2000
Sounds good, and a lot mroe usefull than, "Not in my country you don't!", now where have I heard that from... :rolleyes:

Lags a bitch, and then you die.
Official "paranoid-nut" of the BMA, and ex-evil overlord wannabe.