Clipping Problem? Wierd distortion at the least

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MorituriMax

I am designing a level, space station, and I have a sphere with a room to start, then a arch exit to a bridge that goes over a gulf to the main station. The main station has a large hall so far to enter the station, and when I added 2 intersecting halls at the end it started giving me a clipping type of thing at the arch.. I can walk out through it onto bridge and it sort of clears up, but comes back as I shift views.. anyone know what causes this intense distortion? Is it the way my 3 halls come together? Is there a FAQ somewhere that addresses blind spots or dont's in UnrealEd? It looks good during preview in the editor, but screws up when i play it.. thanks for any info

rmcollins3

AKA "Doublez-Down"
Unfortuanately this is a definite problem with Unreal. If there are any spots in your map that open into the "void" or black space with blue grid that you start with, this will happen, no matter how tiny. I usually have to delete the room or whatever that is causing it and rebuild it. It's a pain, but it happens.

MorituriMax

Well I think I might have a fix for this problem.. I set the BSP rebuild options to Optimal and set the minimum cuts to 100 and it restores everything where it should be... is this a good fix or does it cause the thing to run slowly on some computers? Otherwise why not just have this maxxed out all the time.. am I wrong here?

ZodiaK

irresponsible walrus
Feb 14, 2000
onboard The Mothership
ameba.lpt.fi
It's BSP problems you have here. Usually you get those when intersecting complex objects, building off the grid (a general rule sez you should never set the grid size below 4). The BSP optimization might work for you, at times, but in general, you'll get used to which types of things causes holes and eventually learn to avoid building such structures. Unfortunately, one can't always predict whether doing something in Ued causes a BSP problems or not.

MorituriMax

Does setting the optimization higher cause a larger drain on computer resources when playing maps with the higher settings?

bullet2.gif

Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.