Serious suggestion: What to do inbetween rounds.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
E

Excelsiore

I've been trying to come up with an idea so that when you die you don't sit around doing nothing. I also realize it will have to be a strictly coding solution so the maps won't have to change.

How about this:
When you die you respawn as a ghost(like now with a difference). You are invisible to the players who are still alive and the living are invisible to you. What you can see are all the other ghosts and instead of being able to fly around you are governed by the normal physics of the game. Ghosts can run around shooting and killing each other as if they were alive but don't score any points. If things worked this way people wouldn't have to sit around doing nothing(but they could choose to), the load on the server would be like in a normal game and none of the maps would have to be changed.

What do u think?

/Excelsiore

That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger.

Dracil

First Poster of new INF forums
Jan 14, 2000
Taiwan, now in UC Berkeley
Maybe, but the question is, does the UT engine allow separation of players in such a way?

INF3.gif

E

Excelsiore

First off I haven't seen the code and I have no idea what the specs for the UT engine are and what it can and can't do.

As I see it there are basically 2 issues:
1) Making so that ghosts can only see ghosts and the living can only see the living.
This is "basically" done already since you have a spectator mode where the living can't see the ghosts. These visible/invisible functions probably just act as flags and shouldn't be too hard to modify.

2)Figuring out collision, ie the living should only effect and be effected by the living(shoot, being shot, bumping into each other) and ghosts should only effect and be effected by ghosts.
This too is also "basically" done since this is already how it works for the living. Just make a copy of the "collision" code for the ghosts effectivlt isolating them in their own world.

As I said before I haven't seen the code but the INF team seems capable of implementing something like this.

Just my 2 cents.

/Excelsiore

Wattz

Mar 23, 2001
Ehh...

It'd be a LOT easier just to make half the screen into a game of galaga or something...

Or better yet, make the game optional, like if you wanna play tetris, galaga, centipede... or nothing at all. It worked for Tekken.

www.sonofabitchbastard.net

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
But what happens when the *ghosts* die??? :eek:

I think I just abstracted...

Vancouver BC. 1.5 million people- two Bridges.

"That r0x0rz m3y3 b0x0rz"- Phatcat

o_O WUNK!

E

Excelsiore

When ghosts die

When ghosts die they respawn immediately. Essentially what the afterlife would consist of is a normal UT game but with INF physics(etc) and no frag counting.

A living player dies. He respawns as a ghost and continues searching out targets like normal. When he kills ghosts they die and respawn again as ghosts. The same goes for our player ghost. It's like a practice session. This goes on until all the living on one team are ghosts(OMG this is almost pseudo-code). Then the next round starts and everybody spawns as a living player. (repeat above etc)

The big advantages are: The code is already there. If you want to play tetris your gonna have to code a tetris clone, the UT engine will have to be able to handle that(i guess it does) and half the INF community will be screaming for galaga instead. Nobody wins and the INF team looses and gets flamed.

My idea is in essence a cut-and-paste job. Most of the code should be there already. All you need to do is modify it.

At least it's better than paying money for sitting online staring at the screen for 15 mins at a time.

/Excelsiore

boxster

]3oXsTe]2
Aug 30, 2000
How about this:

EXCERSISE, even if you do already...you’ll turn into a muscle man if you worked out during your dead time, esp. on maps like Kosivo!!

porschelogo.gif

PORSCHE ßõX$†€®

Kisen_K

S&M Airlines
May 12, 2000
Norway
rullings.com
...And there is already Tetris for UT.
You can find it on Cliffy B's ownage page, you just have to convince the INF team to support it.

-Eg e røff