PDA

View Full Version : Finally!!! A Real World Maps Site.....!!!

Buddy_Pickle
2nd Feb 2000, 08:08 PM
Some of you have seen posts in here from CoffeyCan, myself, Kibbles N Bits, and Dragon, but we want to make something semi-official.

Our site dedicated to Infiltration, Real World map reviews, and resources is up and running. Though some areas are not yet finished, we do have a good number of reviews and more to come everyday...Need your map reviewed? Send it to me..We will get it in.
www.cablelink.com/realworld (http://www.cablelink.com/realworld)

Thanks to Warren for giving us his good seal of approval. We are poised to become your quality source for realworld maps and reviews.

- Buddy_Pickle (sjohnson@cablelink.com)
"Want Real World? <A HREF="http://www.cablelink.com/realworld"" TARGET=_blank>www.cablelink.com/realworld"</A>

[This message has been edited by Buddy_Pickle (edited 02-02-2000).]

disturbed
2nd Feb 2000, 09:16 PM
You used "there" in the wrong context. It should be "their."

------------------
Jon Merriman
The Research Center
http://rc.gamersreality.com/

Buddy_Pickle
2nd Feb 2000, 09:25 PM
I have got to watch my typing more carefully. I just got too excited about providing this site finally.

Thanks for the correction though...Need all the help I can get.

Dragon
2nd Feb 2000, 09:37 PM
I think he is talking about me. Like I say to everyone who says something about my spelling. "I am an artist not a scholar" but thanks for the correction I fixed it

------------------
People do not fear Dragons for thier Power, it's thier Wisdom
RealWorld maps reviewed by realworld players:
www.cablelink.com/realworld/ (http://www.cablelink.com/realworld/)

[This message has been edited by Dragon (edited 02-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Dragon (edited 02-02-2000).]

Dragon
2nd Feb 2000, 09:44 PM
Hey disturbed did you get the UT Mac Filetyper?

------------------

Sylvester
3rd Feb 2000, 07:47 AM
Nice project!
But would'nt it be nice to give all the maps a rating so when there will be many many more maps, it will be easy-er to make a selection of wich maps to download? Maybe a voting system for each map?

Would'nt it also be great to add a beta section where mappers can post their beta map to get some feedback from the community so they can improve their unfinished map?

Always willing to give some suggestions.
Sylvester out...

Kibbles-N-Bits
3rd Feb 2000, 09:02 AM
I believe Buddy is dividing the site into DM, DOM, AS , CTF and INF maps. Im not really sure... I just review and provide tidbits of info herer and there (I did use "there" correctly, didn't I?). /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

---------
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
---------

Sylvester
3rd Feb 2000, 09:21 AM
Yep, but here I'm using here the right way, but my english is'nt that good... hard language to write:

-We polish the Polish furniture.
-He could lead if he would get the lead out.
-A farm can produce produce.
-The dump was so full it had to refuse refuse.
-The soldier decided to desert in the desert.
-The present is a good time to present the present.
-At the Army base, a bass was painted on the head of a bass drum.
-The dove dove into the bushes.
-I did not object to the object.
-The insurance for the invalid was invalid.
-The bandage was wound around the wound.
-There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
-They were too close to the door to close it.
-The buck does funny things when the does are present.
-They sent a sewer down to stitch the tear in the sewer line.
-To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
-The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
-After a number of Novocain injections, my jaw got number.
-I shed a tear when I saw the tear in my clothes.
-I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
-How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
-I spent last evening evening out a pile of dirt.

Hell, I even don't understand all the words...

Sylvester out...

Robes
3rd Feb 2000, 10:29 AM
Lol /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

3rd Feb 2000, 12:30 PM
As one of the reviewers, I hear your concern about have a quick and easy format to select maps by. But, the team felt that different maps have various strong and weak points, and that it would be better to explain them and let the consumer decide if they wanted it. We feel that our reviews will be clear enough to do this, but if they are not, then by all means, pleas communicate that to us.

Also, because well be updateing the site often, you shouldnt have to sift through a ton of maps, you can look and see whats new, and just look at those.

We are adding a beta/previews section right now so that mappers who want to improve their maps can do just that, keep tuned, the site is evergrowing and we are totally commited to the helpign the community.

Thanks for your thoughts.
CC

------------------
Got real maps? Get the goods at:
http://www.cablelink.com/realworld/index.html

3rd Feb 2000, 12:30 PM
As one of the reviewers, I hear your concern about have a quick and easy format to select maps by. But, the team felt that different maps have various strong and weak points, and that it would be better to explain them and let the consumer decide if they wanted it. We feel that our reviews will be clear enough to do this, but if they are not, then by all means, pleas communicate that to us.

Also, because well be updateing the site often, you shouldnt have to sift through a ton of maps, you can look and see whats new, and just look at those.

We are adding a beta/previews section right now so that mappers who want to improve their maps can do just that, keep tuned, the site is evergrowing and we are totally commited to the helpign the community.

Thanks for your thoughts.
CC

------------------

Sylvester
3rd Feb 2000, 12:49 PM
Maybe it is possible to give various points on different aspects of the level.
Ex:
Reality: 9
Eye candy: 7
Playability: 8
Botplay: 6
Originality: 8
Texturing: 6
Lightning: 8
Ambient Sounds: 5

This would give, in my opinion, more info, not only to those who want to download, but also those who make the maps.

Sylvester out...

3rd Feb 2000, 01:19 PM
we currently look at:

Realism: we look at lighting, texturing, sound and detail in here

Design: how well is the map done, is it consistent, is there enough cover, etc

Fun: pretty self explanatory, reviewers general opinion and playability

Connectivity: how is it the map going to do on slower machines, eye candy factors

Bots: that about says it.

So, were basically covering your topics. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Though I like the originality factor. Well look at your suggestions, but I can almost gaurantee that there wont be numerical system in there, its just too subjective for the maps. There have been numerous times when I have seen a map with a low score and it ended up being a great map, and the score didnt represent its strengths, and the reviewer used the score to as a way to avoid more in depth analysis of the maps- exactly what we want to avoid and why I spent hours sifting through maps becuase I couldnt trust the reviewers judgement. This was my whole motivation for starting the site, honest reviews, with screens so you can judge for yourself, instead of dowloading to find that it was another lava pit map.

Thanks for your thoughts, please keep them coming.
CC

------------------

3rd Feb 2000, 01:19 PM
we currently look at:

Realism: we look at lighting, texturing, sound and detail in here

Design: how well is the map done, is it consistent, is there enough cover, etc

Fun: pretty self explanatory, reviewers general opinion and playability

Connectivity: how is it the map going to do on slower machines, eye candy factors

Bots: that about says it.

So, were basically covering your topics. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Though I like the originality factor. Well look at your suggestions, but I can almost gaurantee that there wont be numerical system in there, its just too subjective for the maps. There have been numerous times when I have seen a map with a low score and it ended up being a great map, and the score didnt represent its strengths, and the reviewer used the score to as a way to avoid more in depth analysis of the maps- exactly what we want to avoid and why I spent hours sifting through maps becuase I couldnt trust the reviewers judgement. This was my whole motivation for starting the site, honest reviews, with screens so you can judge for yourself, instead of dowloading to find that it was another lava pit map.

Thanks for your thoughts, please keep them coming.
CC

------------------

Sylvester
3rd Feb 2000, 01:29 PM
Okay.. you've convinced me(wich is real hard because i'm real stubborn guy)

I'm hoping to deliver a map within a month...

Sylvester out...

3rd Feb 2000, 02:01 PM
Just about everyone is stubborn on the forums, including me. Im glad you asked questions and that I was able to clarify them for you, its important that you asked them and that we are in tune with the community.

Cant wait to see the map, and its even more of a compliment that you are sending it to us, since we wanted to help out mappers in just this way.
CC

------------------

3rd Feb 2000, 02:01 PM
Just about everyone is stubborn on the forums, including me. Im glad you asked questions and that I was able to clarify them for you, its important that you asked them and that we are in tune with the community.

Cant wait to see the map, and its even more of a compliment that you are sending it to us, since we wanted to help out mappers in just this way.
CC

------------------

Buddy_Pickle
3rd Feb 2000, 03:55 PM
I hope we get mappers from all over to start sending in their work. It could work as a real showcase for the talent that exists in this community.

Buddy Pickle
"Get Real Maps: www.cablelink.com/realworld (http://www.cablelink.com/realworld)

Andirez
4th Feb 2000, 05:55 PM
I'm VERY pleased that you guys are searching & reviewing reallife maps, but it would be nice to have some sort of rating. I've read all the previous posts but I still think that it's very nice to have some kind of summary at the end of each review which grades the different aspects of the map. The scale can be very rough so it doesn't have to be a mindbreaker on how many points am I going to give this map on this or that aspect. Just some sort of figure like 4/5 on graphics, 3/5 on gameplay,...

I know this has been posted before and you don't really agree but please reconsider it. Otherwise when there will be +50 maps or so on your site, it'll be very difficult to pick the map you're searching for. Not everyone is looking for the same kind of map, so the different categories would come in very handy to search the map that satisfies your needs.

Sylvester
4th Feb 2000, 06:00 PM
I argee with andirez...
there must be a conclustion on the end of the revieuw
and the maps certainly need to be cathegorized and I don't mean CTF, Deathmatch,... but something like:

Urban
Mountain
Night
Day
This would help the search
maybe a database like fragfacility

Sylvester out...

Buddy_Pickle
4th Feb 2000, 06:57 PM
These are great suggestions. The team will put our heads together this weekend and come up with a hybrid of all of this...

------------------
Buddy_Pickle
"RealWorld maps reviewed by realworld players:"

MiscMan
4th Feb 2000, 07:34 PM
If per chance you do do numbers, tell us if 7.5 is a good # or a bad one. Like at nali city, what the hell does a 7.5 translate into? Is that like a 75% or mediocre or what?

Anywho, i like that you put the reviewers name right by there review too, really nice. You are also getting a regular supply of maps, the site is usually up too. I wouldn't switch over to gamespy servers til
you know they're safe /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

I would like it if you were to have a basic review of each map, then an in depth one. For example:

(map name) (Author) (type) (new textures?) (size?) (kb size) (Quality, development only, not gameplay) (Reviewers name with review)

Not sure how this will look on the forum, but it's all on one like. Have each section seperated by a space.

[This message has been edited by MiscMan (edited 02-04-2000).]

Andirez
4th Feb 2000, 08:29 PM
If you get a 7.5 at nalicity, you have done very well. Normally if your map is ok (gameplay is fine) but you don't have eyecandy or the textures aren't aligned you get a 6.

Anyway, I agree with you that the scores in nalicity aren't what they supposed to be. It would be much better if they split it up in different categories.

Andirez.

4th Feb 2000, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the idea, we need the community feedback, because well, thats why were here.

We are going to do a rating, but proably not numbers, let me explain why. When I looked at DMTyard, nali city gave that map a 6, with little explanation about what was happening with it. When I played that map, I was blown away, its was really good, especially for INF (thats all we test our maps with by the way). A 6 did not do justice to that map, and neither did the explantion that was accompanied. When I reviewed the map, I thought I pretty well covered its virtues (many) and setback (few), and a number to me, would not have helped. However, we are going implement a system that will point you to the maps that we feel are good and that deserve your time to download and play. (dont you hate it when you spend a ton of time to d/l a map and its no good?)

Secondly, we dont use numbers because different people like different things. My one main goal in starting the site was to sift through the hundereds of maps and find the real life ones so other gamers wouldnt have to sort through like I did. But I know that you dont like what I like so a 7 in my book may be a 10 or 3 in yours, depending on your likes/dislikes are. We will continue to revise until we find a way that meets the communites needs without killing us, remember we do this for free.

Lastly and honestly, we are just getting off the ground and constantly revising our review format, some of the reviews you may have read may have been the first ones and not have been as clear as later ones. We are working on profiles of the reviewers so youll know their bias, and also resources for map makers to help them make better maps.

I also want to point out that we are a site that tries to be constructive becuase there are a lot of maps out there that are okay, but that could be great with some work.

Trust me, well point you to the maps that youll love, and youll be able to use your own set of numbers. All the ideas are very useful and well discuss it this weekend, so keep posted for the changes.

Thanks, keep the feedback coming.
CC

------------------

[This message has been edited by coffeycan (edited 02-04-2000).]

4th Feb 2000, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the idea, we need the community feedback, because well, thats why were here.

We are going to do a rating, but proably not numbers, let me explain why. When I looked at DMTyard, nali city gave that map a 6, with little explanation about what was happening with it. When I played that map, I was blown away, its was really good, especially for INF (thats all we test our maps with by the way). A 6 did not do justice to that map, and neither did the explantion that was accompanied. When I reviewed the map, I thought I pretty well covered its virtues (many) and setback (few), and a number to me, would not have helped. However, we are going implement a system that will point you to the maps that we feel are good and that deserve your time to download and play. (dont you hate it when you spend a ton of time to d/l a map and its no good?)

Secondly, we dont use numbers because different people like different things. My one main goal in starting the site was to sift through the hundereds of maps and find the real life ones so other gamers wouldnt have to sort through like I did. But I know that you dont like what I like so a 7 in my book may be a 10 or 3 in yours, depending on your likes/dislikes are. We will continue to revise until we find a way that meets the communites needs without killing us, remember we do this for free.

Lastly and honestly, we are just getting off the ground and constantly revising our review format, some of the reviews you may have read may have been the first ones and not have been as clear as later ones. We are working on profiles of the reviewers so youll know their bias, and also resources for map makers to help them make better maps.

I also want to point out that we are a site that tries to be constructive becuase there are a lot of maps out there that are okay, but that could be great with some work.

Trust me, well point you to the maps that youll love, and youll be able to use your own set of numbers. All the ideas are very useful and well discuss it this weekend, so keep posted for the changes.

Thanks, keep the feedback coming.
CC

------------------

[This message has been edited by coffeycan (edited 02-04-2000).]

Andirez
4th Feb 2000, 10:33 PM
The beta section idea of Sylvester sounds pretty cool to me, it would be a very nice way to get the feedback you need as a mapper when working on a new map. :-)

Buddy_Pickle
5th Feb 2000, 12:01 AM
I really like this idea. A few folks have mentioned it. We will definately have a beta section soon. We hope to have it sometime early next week.

Thanks again for the great input.

------------------
Buddy_Pickle
"RealWorld maps reviewed by realworld players:"

Catalyst
5th Feb 2000, 05:09 AM
Hey guys, review that DM-Warehouse at industrial:deconstruction! It looks pretty neato but I'm too lazy to D/L it /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

Buddy_Pickle
5th Feb 2000, 05:18 AM
Thanks man! I will review it this weekend. I have seen pics too, but have not downloaded yet.

I will post again when the review is done.

Thanks!

Buddy_Pickle
"Like Maps Real? Me too...." www.cablelink.com/realworld (http://www.cablelink.com/realworld)

Buddy_Pickle
5th Feb 2000, 04:54 PM
We have made some progress on a rating system we think will work well. I have posted them to the Real World site.
www.cablelink.com/realworld (http://www.cablelink.com/realworld)

Go to the reviews section and you will see the breakdown. We like it a bit better than a number system since it is a big vague. (Not that our system isn't). But we will try it for now.

Give us some feedback. (and be nice... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Buddy_Pickle www.cablelink.com/realworld (http://www.cablelink.com/realworld)

Sylvester
5th Feb 2000, 05:06 PM
I've replyed in some other post, but i dont like it...
Totally real(even with teleporters)--> nope... i don't like it

Sylvester out...

Dragon
5th Feb 2000, 05:09 PM
You forgot the thing about shoting doors.

------------------

Buddy_Pickle
5th Feb 2000, 05:20 PM
Sylvester,

Compared to what? Have you played that map? It is like Boot Magazines "KICK ASS" rating. The game or hardware they are reviewing does not actually sprout a foot and physically kick you in the ass.

The same is true of our TOTALLY REAL rating. Obviously the map is not a film or photograph. It is a map, and a fictitious one at that. The rating reflects the how well the map creates the sense of a real place. The point is, that this map is so good that even with the teleporters in there, (a big minus for us), it still makes the grade. (At least compared to what is available. As better maps are released, it may lose it's footing as TOTALLY REAL in comparison.)

Anyway, I think the critique is a fair perspective, and perhaps with tweaking, our final system will better fit what you are looking for. For now, just know that if we have rated a map "TOTALLY REAL", it's a good map.

Buddy_Pickle www.cablelink.com/realworld (http://www.cablelink.com/realworld)

sudasana
5th Feb 2000, 09:30 PM
I agree. Any map is just an abstraction of reality, and although the style is realistic the actual components have to be geared toward gameplay, not realism. Anyone can create a map with an absurd amount of detail, but it would run like hell on most machines, and besides it's really not necessary. The teleporter is in a good spot to provide connectivity with the lower level, in my opinion.

Buddy_Pickle
6th Feb 2000, 12:36 AM
The last post reminded me of something else. Instead of using teleporters to get you from a lower level to a higher one, I like the use of ladders. Some maps use this well.

Buddyt_Pickle
Real, real good!!" www.cablelink.com/realworld (http://www.cablelink.com/realworld)

Andirez
6th Feb 2000, 10:15 AM
The "reality meter" is a nice start /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif , but please give scores to gameplay, eyecandy,... and stuff like that. A map can be very real but play like crap. I know the site is called "RealWorld" but in the end we all like maps that have nice gameplay (and are as real as they can be without compromising gameplay too much)

Andirez.

Cunubelin
6th Feb 2000, 11:44 AM
I like the layout of the site.
You have the "bang-meter" up front in the review section and when I find a candidate map I just click on the link and read the review!
The review coupled with the screenies is all I need.
No need for a scoring system based on numbers.

Me like RealWorld Maps! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sylvester
9th Feb 2000, 10:34 AM
The site is real nice, and i like the fact that you guys update it often, but i think you'll need to be more strict on your revieuws... there are to many maps that get the 'Real Award'.

Nalicity has changed since UT came out... they became stricter, now you don't see much maps with a nine.

Just a suggestion, but in my opinion, the 'Real Award' should be something to be very proud of as a mapmaker and only a minoraty of the maps that come out should get it...

Keep up the good work, the community needs more of this sort of dedicated members.

Sylvester out...
BTW. AS-Terrain deserves the 'Real Award'...very very(one or two r's?? i know there is a difference) nice map indeed.

9th Feb 2000, 12:10 PM
Thanks, thats a good point, the other thing that you have to realize is the number of maps that do not make it on the page. I sift through a lot of bad maps each week, and Im talking dozens of them, just thinking about it gives me eye strain.

What we are trying to do is bring the community all the maps that play well before we bring the ones that don't (though we have given examples of what mappers should not do). So naturally there will be a lot of what we feel to be good maps. BUT as time passes, and maps get better and better (like AS-Terrain), we will have to look at scoring. For instance AS-Terrain is virtually flawless and will affect DM-Matrixed which is close but not flawless. Its like raising the bar, and does Terrain ever do that!

The bottom line is that our intention is to point you to the good maps, and you decide what the score is becuase, of course, everyone likes different things. We're not perfect, but my original intention of just finding the real world maps for gamers so they had choices and dont need to sift through hundred of maps, has succeeded, and thats what we build on, and you're probably right, that real award should be saved for perfection (or near it /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).

Thanks for your comments and support, they are really helpful keep us grounded and working.

------------------
Want to be an Infiltrator? Get the goods at:

[This message has been edited by coffeycan (edited 02-09-2000).]

9th Feb 2000, 12:10 PM
Thanks, thats a good point, the other thing that you have to realize is the number of maps that do not make it on the page. I sift through a lot of bad maps each week, and Im talking dozens of them, just thinking about it gives me eye strain.

What we are trying to do is bring the community all the maps that play well before we bring the ones that don't (though we have given examples of what mappers should not do). So naturally there will be a lot of what we feel to be good maps. BUT as time passes, and maps get better and better (like AS-Terrain), we will have to look at scoring. For instance AS-Terrain is virtually flawless and will affect DM-Matrixed which is close but not flawless. Its like raising the bar, and does Terrain ever do that!

The bottom line is that our intention is to point you to the good maps, and you decide what the score is becuase, of course, everyone likes different things. We're not perfect, but my original intention of just finding the real world maps for gamers so they had choices and dont need to sift through hundred of maps, has succeeded, and thats what we build on, and you're probably right, that real award should be saved for perfection (or near it /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).

Thanks for your comments and support, they are really helpful keep us grounded and working.

------------------

[This message has been edited by coffeycan (edited 02-09-2000).]

Andirez
13th Feb 2000, 08:29 AM
I didn't really like the reality meter at first, but after considering it for a while and reading all the posts, I'm sure that you guys are going to make the best of it.
What strikes me most about this site and the reply's from all of the realworld members is that everybody seems so dedicated to make this the best map site ever. The site has come a long way since the "black background and green letters" in just a couple of weeks. You have daily reviews and reply daily to all of our posts !!!

GREAT WORK : I LOVE IT /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Andirez.

INF_Neo
13th Feb 2000, 10:27 AM
me too http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~unreal/modcentral/html/supergrin.gif

13th Feb 2000, 02:10 PM
Thats about the best compliment that we've gotten. Thank you very much. The site has exploded from what it was 2 weeks ago, to say the least. From an ugly black backround and yellow letters, to the beautiful site Buddy_Pickle did (he deserves all the credit for that), to the even more beautufil site that he has redone for our PU hosting premier. We have had over 40K of hits in the two weeks weve been up, to say the least we never expected the response that we got, but are extremely happy with it.

What has made me most happy is the fact that we've been able to find some great maps and give them to the community. Some of you that were here way back when will remember I used to post lists of real life maps that played well with INF, well no more off that. Now you can get this list, know the pro's and con's of the maps and dowload it usually right there, especially for the good ones. I am really proud of what we've done and what we are able to give to the community.

At this point, we really have run through all the DM maps at Nali City and pulled out the best, we'll be posting a list at the new site of maps that we dont think work so well with INF, so you're not wasting your time downloading. Remember this is only our opinion, and different people enjoy different things. But this also means that the daily updates may slow as the volume of backlogged maps decreases, though we are expanding the site with the mapping section and will try to update it as often as possible. As it stand right now we have a 24 hour (and sometimes less) turnaround time if good maps come out, as soon as we know its are good we are writing the review and trying to get it to you, so if there's not an update, dont worry, were not sitting on a really great map /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

We're glad that people are getting adjusted to the reality bar rating, and we too are finding our legs with it, and working on the consistency of it, which seems to be pretty good.

We still need and like feedback, ESPECIALLY if we have missed a map that you think is good and is real world themed, we only have so many pairs of eyes and every now and then we miss.

Lots of good things to come, were working with T. Ahlen (prolific author of AS-Central, Railbridge, PumpFacility, Prisson, DM-TwinBridges and Tyard) to make infiltration themed maps, we want to begin a beta testing section, mappers previews, mappers resources, and of course lots of downloads.

So again, thanks for your support, it has been crucial to making the site better for Infiltrators and helped put Infiltration out in full view for all to see. Also please stay tuned for out changeover to PU, it should happen Sun or Mon, and the site has a new look if you want a sneek peek, just click on the sig.
Thanks
CC

------------------

13th Feb 2000, 02:10 PM
Thats about the best compliment that we've gotten. Thank you very much. The site has exploded from what it was 2 weeks ago, to say the least. From an ugly black backround and yellow letters, to the beautiful site Buddy_Pickle did (he deserves all the credit for that), to the even more beautufil site that he has redone for our PU hosting premier. We have had over 40K of hits in the two weeks weve been up, to say the least we never expected the response that we got, but are extremely happy with it.

What has made me most happy is the fact that we've been able to find some great maps and give them to the community. Some of you that were here way back when will remember I used to post lists of real life maps that played well with INF, well no more off that. Now you can get this list, know the pro's and con's of the maps and dowload it usually right there, especially for the good ones. I am really proud of what we've done and what we are able to give to the community.

At this point, we really have run through all the DM maps at Nali City and pulled out the best, we'll be posting a list at the new site of maps that we dont think work so well with INF, so you're not wasting your time downloading. Remember this is only our opinion, and different people enjoy different things. But this also means that the daily updates may slow as the volume of backlogged maps decreases, though we are expanding the site with the mapping section and will try to update it as often as possible. As it stand right now we have a 24 hour (and sometimes less) turnaround time if good maps come out, as soon as we know its are good we are writing the review and trying to get it to you, so if there's not an update, dont worry, were not sitting on a really great map /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

We're glad that people are getting adjusted to the reality bar rating, and we too are finding our legs with it, and working on the consistency of it, which seems to be pretty good.

We still need and like feedback, ESPECIALLY if we have missed a map that you think is good and is real world themed, we only have so many pairs of eyes and every now and then we miss.

Lots of good things to come, were working with T. Ahlen (prolific author of AS-Central, Railbridge, PumpFacility, Prisson, DM-TwinBridges and Tyard) to make infiltration themed maps, we want to begin a beta testing section, mappers previews, mappers resources, and of course lots of downloads.

So again, thanks for your support, it has been crucial to making the site better for Infiltrators and helped put Infiltration out in full view for all to see. Also please stay tuned for out changeover to PU, it should happen Sun or Mon, and the site has a new look if you want a sneek peek, just click on the sig.
Thanks
CC

------------------

Buddy_Pickle
13th Feb 2000, 04:36 PM
I second everything that CoffeyCan has said here.

The site and it’s content have come a really long way from two weeks ago. The support from community and the Infiltration team have been second to none. It is our strong desire to continue to provide a site we can all be proud of.

Thanks very much to everyone that has posted the many compliments about the site. (Especially regarding site design and navigation. These things are my focus with this project, and I am happy to see that I am succeeding to some extent.)

Won’t make too long of a post. (I leave that to CoffeyCan…see above…ha ha ha) But thanks again to everyone. Pardon our dust while we finish up the other sections, and look forward to some cool stuff to come.

A quick note to mappers: ASSAULT, ASSAULT, ASSAULT!!! These kind of maps are key to 2.7 Inf success. DM is great, but Assault is a mode crafted in heaven itself. I know that these maps are harder, but won’t the payoff be greater? For certain….

Anyway, thanks again to all. Feedback would be welcome as always, and wish us luck with the PU transfer today….or tomorrow… J

- Buddy Pickle www.cablelink.com/realworld (http://www.cablelink.com/realworld)

Andirez
13th Feb 2000, 06:44 PM
Buddy_Pickle, the new site layout is even better than the previous one. Now it's really a "professional looking" site.
The only thing I'd like to see changed is that the site isn't resolution depended at the moment. It would be nice to have a full screen view in 1024*768, and not only in 800*600.
But this is only me nagging /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

Again : realworld rocks.

BTW. What is going to be the planetunreal's URL ? There is a www.planetunreal.com/realworld (http://www.planetunreal.com/realworld) at the moment but it's bastard'o 's site.

Evil_Joe
14th Feb 2000, 06:47 AM
First off let me say I totally apprecitate what the guys over at nalicity are doing. However their rating is horrible! Abosolutely horrible... I've found nines that are terrible. Nines!

Secondly I would like to say thanks to the guys over at Real World. I'm totally glad you are sifting out the bad... lets just hope the standards don't go down.

I'm also happy that the whole mapping community it seems is starting to move toward RL maps. I'm totally sick of the abstract architecure of the typical unreal/quake map... even the good ones are boring now... and they aren't as challenging to make as RL. Good RL is tough; bottom line.

Terrain is my all time favorite map right now. And I'm a mapper with high standards. Terrain has set the mark. Everyone take notice. Now it is my favorite of all time but its not perfect... I'd give it a nine. 10 is perfect... should never see a 10. And if we ever do... look out. A 5 should be the lowest rating that you guys post over at RL (I don't want to tell you how to run things; just my 2 cents, I love what you guys are doing.)

If a map doesn't have its textures aligned it shouldn't even be released. In some cases there is just nothing you can do but it shouldn't be blatant. Even in the real world "texures" don't line up... go look at floor or wall tile sometime when you go to a restroom... although make sure your alone... don't want anyone getting beat up *G*.

What I'd like to see more of though... is well more realism... creative ways to close off levels (always a hard thing to do) better natural landscapes. Now here is something real challening... RL landscapes are hard and to get some nice looking ones without taxing a system is tough... lets see if it can be done.

Bottom line: Real World glad you are out there now... one of these days when I get some time away from my current projects I'll get a map over to you and you can tell me how bad it is *G*... Everyone get Terrain... its todays standard.

Also if you guys need reviewers let me know I can give you some samples... I'm hard on maps and I got a little bit of time I could spare.

14th Feb 2000, 01:39 PM
Let me just say that the standards are going nowhere but up /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif As people new to UnrealEd get a feel for the editor and textures, we do expect to see better maps, and needless to say AS-Terrain has raised the bar in what we look at. We also try to be constructive to mappers, so that they can improve and re-sumit their levels, Ive seen plenty of maps that with a few hours work could really shine. The other factor is that many of the maps are made for UT so they lack things critical to RW gameplay (COVER!), and that frankly we have little control over. We have been in contact with several authors about changing their style, many of them are a hairs breadth away from INF style mapping and just need a gentle nudge, which is what we try to provide

Early on in the reviewing process, we thought that we would review all real world (RW) maps, but soon found this to be a daunting and tiring task. We ended up reviewing several less than stellar efforts, but have since decided to bring the community the gold, rather than having them waste thier bandwidth on the dirt. For every good map we find, we have to sift through at least 10-15 (usually more) maps that wouldnt get a 1 on the rating scale, Im sure that you kow this. So there wont likely be any maps less than five. As far as the rating bar goes, we dont concieve of it as a direct numerical score, rather how realistic the map is overall, so a score of Real!, may not mean that the map is without flaws, only that the map is an excellent example of real life, or as close as you can get with the UnrealEd. The two that I have scored in such a way, DM-TYard and AS-Terrain, really reflect this for me, so perfection is not our goal, because youre right, no map is perfect.

(I wasnt sure if this comment ws aimed at us but) We at Real Maps can't justify not reviewing/releasing a map, solely because of a misaligned texture. Take T. Ahlen's excellent map AS-PumpFacility. There are 2 small problems, a misaligned texture near the spawn area and the fence dissapears at times. But overall this is an excellent map, and while we pointed out these issues to him and the community, but due to the lack of well done RW maps we dont want to keep any maps from community based on small imperfections, that would be extremely fun to play.

I agree that we all shoud be setting our sites higher, and we are trying to facilitate this with mapping section where well provide links to tutorials, texture packs, and prefabs as time goes on. Needless to say we are dedicated to RW mapping and helping authors push the envelope, and giving the community the best maps we can find. Again thanks for your support and comments

Come check out the new site, its really great.
CC

------------------

http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/

14th Feb 2000, 01:39 PM
Let me just say that the standards are going nowhere but up /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif As people new to UnrealEd get a feel for the editor and textures, we do expect to see better maps, and needless to say AS-Terrain has raised the bar in what we look at. We also try to be constructive to mappers, so that they can improve and re-sumit their levels, Ive seen plenty of maps that with a few hours work could really shine. The other factor is that many of the maps are made for UT so they lack things critical to RW gameplay (COVER!), and that frankly we have little control over. We have been in contact with several authors about changing their style, many of them are a hairs breadth away from INF style mapping and just need a gentle nudge, which is what we try to provide

Early on in the reviewing process, we thought that we would review all real world (RW) maps, but soon found this to be a daunting and tiring task. We ended up reviewing several less than stellar efforts, but have since decided to bring the community the gold, rather than having them waste thier bandwidth on the dirt. For every good map we find, we have to sift through at least 10-15 (usually more) maps that wouldnt get a 1 on the rating scale, Im sure that you kow this. So there wont likely be any maps less than five. As far as the rating bar goes, we dont concieve of it as a direct numerical score, rather how realistic the map is overall, so a score of Real!, may not mean that the map is without flaws, only that the map is an excellent example of real life, or as close as you can get with the UnrealEd. The two that I have scored in such a way, DM-TYard and AS-Terrain, really reflect this for me, so perfection is not our goal, because youre right, no map is perfect.

(I wasnt sure if this comment ws aimed at us but) We at Real Maps can't justify not reviewing/releasing a map, solely because of a misaligned texture. Take T. Ahlen's excellent map AS-PumpFacility. There are 2 small problems, a misaligned texture near the spawn area and the fence dissapears at times. But overall this is an excellent map, and while we pointed out these issues to him and the community, but due to the lack of well done RW maps we dont want to keep any maps from community based on small imperfections, that would be extremely fun to play.

I agree that we all shoud be setting our sites higher, and we are trying to facilitate this with mapping section where well provide links to tutorials, texture packs, and prefabs as time goes on. Needless to say we are dedicated to RW mapping and helping authors push the envelope, and giving the community the best maps we can find. Again thanks for your support and comments

Come check out the new site, its really great.
CC

------------------

http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/

Evil Joe
14th Feb 2000, 06:55 PM
Good to hear, good to hear. I've downloaded just about all the maps off your site. One thing I have noticed on All user created UT maps is the high percentage of HOMS and BSP cuts. I've found them even in the packaged maps. This is simply unacceptable. Every mapper has to deal with BSP cuts and HOMs that's part of being a mapper. I can't Stand maps that have those, and personally I feel they should be fixed. But that's just me. I hope everyone reading this takes it to heart. Try to make your maps as best as you can. Little errors like that are a major OUCH to any map. Wanna see a cool map with no BSP cuts or HOMS.... Terrain by Bastard'O... it can be done folks... get it done!

Buddy_Pickle
14th Feb 2000, 07:14 PM
Good point here. But what I am about to relate shows the power of constructive criticism and the need for a good venue to express it:

T. Ahlen, who does many great maps, just got back to me regarding the glitches in his AS-PumpFactory map. (Which I love...) The review for this map on our site was marred only by these glitches.

Being a forward thinking mapper, he quickly fixed these errors and has re-posted the fixed map. (Not on the site yet, but I hope it will be today... I will announce it.)

Players that can give the heads-up, mappers that can respond, and a forum where people can be notified, will make for better maps. Simple as that. Thanks to T. Ahlen for his great work. (Who has done more AS maps? Nobody that I know...)

Again, you will see a post soon with the fixed map.

- Buddy Pickle www.planetunreal.com/realmaps (http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps)

Evil Joe
16th Feb 2000, 04:18 PM
good to here!