PDA

View Full Version : Infiltration Level's

Faceless
1st Feb 2000, 05:15 PM
Hey all, as you know I've recently joined the infiltration team. I'm currently brainstorming ideas and concepts for use in my upcoming levels for infiltration. I just thought I'd make a post to give you, the community, a chance to voice your ideas on what you would like to see in upcoming infiltration maps. I'm making these maps for you, so any ideas/features you want assuming they are doable and realistic I will do my best to implement. So if you have any ideas or requests post them here, be they locations you want to see done, or more props and special effects whatever it may be. I'll check here often.

Thanks
-Faceless

INF_Neo
1st Feb 2000, 05:24 PM
Hello Faceless, welcome aboard.

My ideas:
A port with loading docks etc. Have you ever been to Hamburg, Germany? Parently not, so maybe you know the German level in Spec Ops 2.
If that's not the case not either, then just the idea: a port (with fog - that's important)

MiscMan
1st Feb 2000, 05:50 PM
City maps are always good, but there are a lot of them. A train level would be nice, only one i've heard of is hispeed

Another one could be on a new 100 story tall office building, with the top 2 or 3 floors exposed to the air, and it's really foggy. Have a crane with destroyable girders.

1st Feb 2000, 05:52 PM
Not your standard DM maps, 2-3 etrances/exits, bottlenecks, ambush points stuff like that, since INF will be a different mapping style from standards UT. Just think, what would this be like in real life? Im sure youll do a bang up job, your others maps have been fun. The combination of indoor outdoor play in maps are fun too.
CC

------------------
Got real maps? Get the goods at:
http://www.cablelink.com/realworld/index.html

1st Feb 2000, 05:52 PM
Not your standard DM maps, 2-3 etrances/exits, bottlenecks, ambush points stuff like that, since INF will be a different mapping style from standards UT. Just think, what would this be like in real life? Im sure youll do a bang up job, your others maps have been fun. The combination of indoor outdoor play in maps are fun too.
CC

------------------
Got real maps? Get the goods at:
http://www.cablelink.com/realworld/index.html

Faceless
1st Feb 2000, 06:00 PM
Yah I don't plan on using any DM concepts that you find in a standard UT DM map. My goal is realism, and interaction between the environment and the player. Destructable Geometry, breakable glass and pyrotechnics all over the place. Visually I want the levels to look as real as possible without sacrificing framerate. But more importantly, aside from visual effects, I want the gameplay to be top-notch. I'm very excited to do realism mapping for once. While UT doesn't quite have all the textures for the best realism, there are enough to keep me busy.

-Faceless

Dragon
1st Feb 2000, 08:34 PM
I think it would be cool if you could make the more powerful weapons shot through walls. Also a building or office that has two to three ways in (front door, back door, sewer, roof, windows, fire escape, etc.). This would be great for Assault. I think assault is the best and alot can be done for INF. Also more than 2 or 3 objectives. A nother cool Assault map could be a team of assassins has to sneak in to a building and kill a Pres. or other important person. This person is not controlled by anyone he is just in a locked room that you have to blow the door or wall or go through vents to get in and kill him

------------------
People do not fear Dragons for there Power, but for there Wisdom

disturbed
1st Feb 2000, 08:41 PM
It would be cool for you to remake situations from movies and past wars. "The Rock" would make one hell of a fun map. A jungle map would also be very cool. It wouldn't be too hard to make a very good looking jungle map by sacrificing just a little photorealism. Rare did it with Goldeneye and that was one helluva hard (but cool) map.

Here's a few more cool ideas:

- Subway station hostage situation
- Infiltrate an oil refinery in the desert
- Attack terrorists at weapon bizaar (ala James Bond in Tomorrow Never Dies)
- Los Alamos (can anyone think of a plot/objective for this)

By the way, I think each of the levels should have a little story to them that is scripted to be displayed when the map starts. That kind of attention to detail is what really makes a map stand out. Putting two opposing forces named "Jungle" and "Urban" in some setting and killing each other for nothing isn't exactly what I would call real.

Tip for the programmers: make the team names customizeable via some LevelInfo subclass or whatever. 3 way standoffs would also make for some really interesting gameplay.

To further my story idea, it would be cool to have them in the form of briefings written by each sides' commanding officer, thus making it different for each side.

Please consider the story thing, and feel free to use any of the above ideas /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

------------------
Jon Merriman
The Research Center
http://rc.gamersreality.com/

Eliwar
1st Feb 2000, 10:59 PM
wow, they convinced you to join. Damn cool /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif This would be very complicated, but we are all allowed to dream, so how about an airport. A realistic one of course, modeled off of a real one. They had one in Amen: the awakening. God damn Cave Dog! I was really looking forward to that game and they canceled it. It was supposed to be very,very, very realistic in physics and arch. errrrr. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

------------------
"What's your major malfunction numbnuts!
Didn't Mommy or Daddy hold you enough when you were a child?!"
*Blam* -FMJ

Corin
2nd Feb 2000, 12:23 AM
All the maps I ever see are cities and stuff, I would love to see some maps in the mountains, the SierraNevadas or the Rockies are both good. Somawhat high altitude too, with boulders and trees and deer trails or whatever. It could be in the 9 to 12,000 ft range(not too high) so that there could be patches of snow in places(summer setting). I don't know if you can make a slippery surface in UT, was that taken out considering the tournament style gameplay/storyline? If not some snow and ice would be cool too. Let your imagination run wild, cabins, streams, lots a stuff. Only hard thing would be keeping the size to a sane level, I mean this could be huge! Also, gun placement would be a bitch, you would need opposing cabins or somesuch.

Derek
2nd Feb 2000, 12:36 AM
I know (more like:"I think") mappers are usually concerned will flowing gameplay, bottlenecks, etc., etc.

What I would like to see is a map copied exactly from a real life place, anyplace would do really, your house, an office building, a burger king and its surroundings, etc.

Anything as long as it is completely faithful to reality: if there's a bathroom there, put it there, if there's no underground sewer entrance, screw it, but make it real, get the textures off a digital camera shot of the actual wall, etc., etc., I have yet to see one of these done right, but apparently you are the guy to talk to.

Faceless
2nd Feb 2000, 12:39 AM
Yah Realism rocks, it's more difficult than it appears. With regards to a jungle map, yeesh... with UT it'd be tough.... Lots of sheets and stuff... Plus lots of textures.

As for the airport and stuff, yah that's doable.. and I plan on it.

-Faceless
Good ideas, keep them coming.

Unknown_Gamer
2nd Feb 2000, 12:46 AM
ever had that urge, you know the one...

to go through wal-mart blowing away psychotic tellers and security guards? it'd be fun.

i'm making a level of my school and my house right now. wal mart is next. wuhahahhahaa!

farrp
2nd Feb 2000, 12:49 AM
I agree with Derek 100%. Nothing else to add.

This is my gun. There are many like it, but this one is mine...

Derek
2nd Feb 2000, 12:52 AM
Alright!, pro-quality master mapper guy agrees with me. I can't wait to be having firefights in true-to life places.

Unknown_Gamer
2nd Feb 2000, 12:55 AM
the GAP is next!!! wuhahahahaaa!!!!

RaekwoN
2nd Feb 2000, 01:28 AM
My $0.02...

Since alot of you guys have probably never mapped before I will let you in on a few little secrets.

1. Polygon Counts - This is something the average gamer knows about. Within a level every wall/cieling/floor (any side of a structure) you can see counts as 1 polygon. In an idealistic level which has been made for smooth play on the net, the best poly (polygon) count is around 100. Next time you start a game of unreal or UT, go into the console and type "stat fps" the number at the far right is the poly count.

2. Outside maps - hard to do, simply because of the amount of detail required. High detail can often lead to high poly counts.

3. Indoor maps - heaps easier to do...hence the majority of mappers making them.

Anyway...welcome aboard Faceless, I look foward to working with you.

RaekwoN - Infiltration Level Designer

Unknown_Gamer
2nd Feb 2000, 01:35 AM
well, add tax to that 2 cents.

i'd like a level with two or four fort/castles and space in between. not much, but it would be good for some playing.

and a tower on each would be good for us snipers.

add a CD and a laptop for each team. color them for each team. ideal thing would be for one player to run around with 3 CDs.

Sylvester
2nd Feb 2000, 06:53 AM
I'm currently working on an assault level for infiltration...

The goal will be placing some explosive devices in a dam. Going back to a gathering point to press the button and... BOEM! (I've had the idea before i saw the strikeforce pictures)
Their will be several ways to enter the dam, but less to leave it...
When the explosive charges are placed, a helicopter will come to pick you up and take you to the gathering point...but beware, the 'copter will only stay a certain time, when you don't make it in time, you'll have to make a grand detour.

I hope to see a lot of fire fights around the 'copter.

I'll post a few screenshots as soon as possible, but this can take long (more than a week, probably 2-3 weeks)

This will be a great map, I only hope to get it finished before v3.0...

A question about mapmaking:
-- How to get current in water so that you'll be torn with the flow?

Sylvester out...

PeCe
2nd Feb 2000, 09:48 AM
iam working on a CTF-military-base-level.
there are many tanks, other war-machines and a lot of damaged houses in it. i think its the best idea i ever had /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

INF_Neo
2nd Feb 2000, 09:56 AM
You all want urban maps but no urban model? Please go to the INF homepage and vote for CQB (we can always change the skin)

Unknown_Gamer
2nd Feb 2000, 08:20 PM
what about Baskin Robin's?!

ice cream flying everywhere from MP5 rounds.... gotta love it....

MiscMan
2nd Feb 2000, 09:16 PM
Sheesh, why make only the inner city, why not some outside of it too? I was planning on making a map that had a rural "city" which is more or less the size of a shopping center. And around it was country side. I havent seen any map, in any game, where the players enters two distinct enviroments. This could probably be due to engine restrictions such as, of course, poly count. Others may be that map might be super huge and weigh 4-5 megs.

I don't know. But, i would like to see it. The closest i saw in UT was Overlord.

Of course, i still cant actually play for a while . But, whatever.

MiscMan
2nd Feb 2000, 09:18 PM
Oh and by the way, why dont you have an inf tag? You too Raekwon?

RaekwoN
3rd Feb 2000, 12:57 AM
You mean an InF pre-text MiscMan...it's cause we are all not as vain as Neo /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

------------------
RaekwoN
Infiltration Level Designer
Visit RaekwoN Maps (http://members.tripod.com/~RaekwoN_maps)

RaekwoN
3rd Feb 2000, 12:57 AM
You mean an InF pre-text MiscMan...it's cause we are all not as vain as Neo /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

------------------
RaekwoN
Infiltration Level Designer
Visit RaekwoN Maps (http://members.tripod.com/~RaekwoN_maps)

INF_Neo
3rd Feb 2000, 09:32 AM
Vocabulary problem: what's vain?