PDA

View Full Version : Why does noone use it anymore?

INF_Neo
26th Feb 2000, 03:42 PM
Why does noone use fog in the levels. I always loved it.

Wanderer
26th Feb 2000, 06:26 PM
3 Reasons.

1) Most people don't know how to enable it in the editor to see it so how are they supposed to test it?

2) It's a killer on framerate most of the time.

3) It's disabled by default on most people's PC in Direct3d.

RegularX
26th Feb 2000, 07:07 PM
I'm with Wanderer here. I played with it on another map I've been trying, and finally chocked it up under the "neat, but not very functional" effect category.

And where would one put it in a RL map? For an urban map, I guess I could see it for a boiler room or fridge, but outside is usually too big of a zone to pull it off well.

INF_Neo
26th Feb 2000, 09:25 PM
Have you ever been to London at night?

RegularX
26th Feb 2000, 09:45 PM
Oh I agree fog exists in settings that would definately look cool, but if yer talking about the outside streets of London, it would have to be a really small portion of the city you were mapping to be able use fog as an effect.

Wanderer
26th Feb 2000, 11:33 PM
Don't believe that fog exist only in London. It does actually exist in other places but it's a matter of finding a way for it to be believable, effective, and not kill framerates at the same time. Albeit you'll sacrifice framerates by using but you need to find a way for it to still be playable.

TaBu[NiW]
27th Feb 2000, 08:28 PM
I'm currently working on a map with a relative large underwater area, and i tried volumen lightning to create muddy water. Sure, it looks very good, but the framerate droped from ~35 to ~6. Sorry, no water pollution and no London with fog.
Fog is IMHO only usable in small rooms or corridors. DM-Fetid comes to mind, in which the fog is very good implemented with only a small loss (around 5%) in the framerate.

TaBu[NiW]

INF_Neo
28th Feb 2000, 07:23 PM
Brrwhrhwh...I hate underwater levels. I think it began with Super Mario Bros.
Knowing that you have to swim straight or you'll die baaaaaaaah!

DM-Fetid is a blast in what concerns fog. But smaller fog areas should also be able in larger maps. Just make them small and it'll work fine. Only some small areas, i.e. next to hot machines

Buddy_Pickle
28th Feb 2000, 11:48 PM
Fog in a freezer room or boiler room would be cool IMO. Just has to be subtle and done right.

Buddy Pickle

Real Real Good www.planetunreal.com/realmaps (http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps)