PDA

View Full Version : Chand vs. UEd : Round #2...place yer bets

Chand
5th Mar 2000, 04:16 AM
Allllllrighty folks... couple of quick questions first and then an announcement.

1) Anyone knows good tutorial, of any length or complexity, that deals with mapping for Assault ? (like parameters, objective placement, etc...you know, the works)

2) Is there any way to dynamically change a texture in game ? (Ex. Shooting a computer screen and changing the texture when it gets hit to a 'broken screen' texture... get my point ? Is there a trigger or anything designed to do this ?)

Ok...enough obscure questions for now. As for the announcements :

Oh yeah, my next map (unoriginally titled AS-Troopers), is almost 50% done. Woohoo. Whenever is about 90%, I'll release it for betatesting.

For those who are interested, AS-Troopers will be 'vaguely' based on one of the good parts in the not-so-good film 'Starship Troopers' (loved the book, hated the movie). The scene when the Roughnecks(tm) arrive at the outpost and have to hang on and repel the onslaught of Nasty Bugs(tm) until the Drop Ship(tm) arrives.

Of course, AS-Troopers will feature NO Roughnecks(tm), NO Nasty Bugs(tm) and NO Drop Ship(tm)... otherwise it won't be INF material. Maybe when/if I get real good I'll make a more 'canon' version of it.

What it WILL include is a nice (I hope) outdoor area, some intense attack/defense action, faithful architecture regarding the original scene (textures and all) and of course all the gibs and gunpowder smell we INF addicts learned to love /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Of course, if anybody could answer the two questions it'll greatly speed up everything and make it nicer.

I'll keep you guys posted...Would you like to know more ?(tm) /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Just drop me a mail or two....

------------------
This is your brain...
THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON INF... (bold /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

INF_Neo
5th Mar 2000, 07:58 AM
Daco67?

Chand
5th Mar 2000, 09:41 AM
Of course, Neo, I don't have a clue what you're talking about /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
This is your brain...

INF_Neo
5th Mar 2000, 09:49 AM
yeah, of course

Buddy_Pickle
5th Mar 2000, 01:45 PM
Chand,

You may open up the new AS-Bridge (at Nali City) and check to see how the replacement textures were done for the bomb placements under the main bridge structer. (Where your guy touches these 4 points, a new texture of a explosive is shown in it's place.)

Hope this helps...

BuddyPickle www.planetunreal.com/realmaps (http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps)

Wanderer
5th Mar 2000, 02:40 PM
I'm bored I'll guess I answer what I know....

1) Don't know of any AS tutorials. Right now it's a gotta learn it on your own deal.

2) Use 2 Movers. One that's meant to be shot and moves out of the way. And another that takes its place. Gotta do this with a 0 MoveTime otherwise it could look funny.

Although I guess if you were slick you could just use 1 Mover and have it rotate around with a different texture on the back. Again though, 0 MoverTime.

RegularX
5th Mar 2000, 05:34 PM
There are some notes about Assault making in the Creature Care and Feeding guide (Unreal T AI under the http://unreal.epicgames.com ), but I imagine you either have read it or looking for something more detailed.

And the rotate method worked for when I was playing around with a new map, I think.

book rocked. Movie had nothing to do with it.

[This message has been edited by RegularX (edited 03-05-2000).]

Chand
5th Mar 2000, 08:40 PM
Thank you guys for all the answers...

Buddy_Pickle : I will, thanks.

Wanderer : Yeah, the mover idea crossed my mind but I guess I was looking for some other technique or trigger or whatever. Movers are the (only?) way to do that.

RegularX : Yes...I've browsed the C&F guide but, like you said, there are only notes there... oh well, I guess it's trial and error.

book=good
movie=bah!

gotta love Heinlein...one of the masters (IMO), along with Herbert, Niven, Bester and Asimov.

------------------
This is your brain...

RegularX
5th Mar 2000, 09:11 PM
Oh, no joke (as this post goes wandering off topic /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ). I was so jazzed for the movie, wanted to see that opening scene with all those armored suits jumping over buildings and raids.

Instead I get Doogie Howser doing some evil corporate nazi version of the force. bah.

Wanderer
5th Mar 2000, 11:40 PM
/me places $20 on Chand for the Chand vs UED fight...

You lose and somebodies getting their kneecaps donated /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

Ya that's the only way to change textures in game is to use a Mover or 2.