PDA

View Full Version : What textures do people need ?

theVodkaCircle
5th Mar 2000, 11:50 PM
I am completely hopeless at doing maps (have had no success at all /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
But....I love doing graphics work.
What sort of textures would you mappers like to use in your maps ?
I need descriptions of what sort of real life textures and sizes/colour depth etc etc.
Any suggestions would be appreciated because it is a constant pain to me that I seem incapable of making maps, so I would like to add something to the Infiltration community as I love this MOD so much.
Cheers

Lance201
6th Mar 2000, 09:51 AM
I know that bastard-o needs some sandbag-texture, his question for that must be somehwere in this forum! If you could please make the textures for him because he makes the best maps for Inf in my opinion. Look at his site:
http://www.planetunreal.com/realworld/

LCPL TWENTY

6th Mar 2000, 11:03 AM
The world needs more texture artists, so thanks

There are a lot of general enviromental textures, walls, floors, brick etc, and I think that specific textures such as instrument panels, cars, phone booths, mailboxes (the big ones), file cabinets, refrigerators, stoves, etc, etc. are needed

Stuff that adds detail and that 'real life' quality to maps. Chech out SWAT 3 for what Im talking about, they have some really good textures that bring their maps alive.

------------------
Want to be an Infiltrator? Get the goods at:
http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/

6th Mar 2000, 11:03 AM
The world needs more texture artists, so thanks

There are a lot of general enviromental textures, walls, floors, brick etc, and I think that specific textures such as instrument panels, cars, phone booths, mailboxes (the big ones), file cabinets, refrigerators, stoves, etc, etc. are needed

Stuff that adds detail and that 'real life' quality to maps. Chech out SWAT 3 for what Im talking about, they have some really good textures that bring their maps alive.

------------------
Want to be an Infiltrator? Get the goods at:
http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/

Evil Joe
6th Mar 2000, 04:56 PM
I totally agree with coffee can. I have more respect for texture artist then mappers. Wanna know why it is often a thankless job but they make the maps what they are! You can have fantastic geometry but if you use ****ty textures the map looks horrible also really good textures can make very simple geometry look great. Also with the hardware limitations of PC's it is totally necassary to keep the p-counts low. Good use of great textures can give your maps more of a RL feel while keeping the p-counts down.

theVodkaCircle I just emailed you my texture request. I hope we can work together and put together some great INF maps for the community.

On a side not in a few days I should have a rough beta out of my cliffhouse map. Its been slow cause I've been busy with other projects but I definately want to get something out so either Coffeecan or Buddypickle can tell me how bad a mapper I am http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~unreal/modcentral/html/sarcblink.gif

INF_Neo
6th Mar 2000, 08:22 PM
you forgot me /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by INF_Neo (edited 03-06-2000).]

Paralax
6th Mar 2000, 08:28 PM
Vodka,
I am very much in need of a good chainlink fence texture. If it could be see through that would be awesome and I don't suppose you would need to be able to shoot through it because of the cool shooting through walls effect in Infiltration. I'm sure many other people out there could use this texture. It kicks ass that you want to make textures!

------------------
That would be me...gettin' fragged.

disturbed
7th Mar 2000, 01:38 PM
Let's see some old building type textures with yellowed tiles, bricks, stained concrete, barred windows, etc...

------------------
Jon Merriman
The Research Center
http://rc.gamersreality.com/

Evil Joe
7th Mar 2000, 03:35 PM
to be see through just mask it... the texture has to be maskable first though... there are tutes on how to do that on unrealed.net... not postitive on that as I don't do textures (obviously)

bastard_o
7th Mar 2000, 06:53 PM
A nice wire fence texture exists, please try the texture packs at http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/textures.htm

Please email me if you can't find it I will extract it from the pack, when I find it.. Hope this type of image extration is ok to do , please if anybody thinks or knows that this type of poaching is hummm, not the thing to do let me know...

What I need....

I need all things military style too, Naval base, Desert Base, Inland US base, anything Military...

Also real world places like research centers, chemical plants, anywhere you
would expect some Infiltration necessary...

Please all you artists or in fact anybody who knows these texture creation dudes, obvious to say but without the right textures levels wouldn't exist...

bastard_o
7th Mar 2000, 11:25 PM
The request for a wire fence texture, here you go a little zip [110,832 bytes]... click this http://www.planetunreal.com/realworld/utpcximages.zip
The zip contains two wire, two sandbag (middle & end), one road and a barbed wire image in pcx format, some may did some ambience adjustment, import into the internal unr mylevel package if the builder chooses that method or the usual method.

Paralax
8th Mar 2000, 04:06 AM
To Bastard_O:
Thanks for the texture hook up, appreciate that. I'll will try to put them to good use.

------------------

theVodkaCircle
10th Mar 2000, 09:51 PM
Wow, thanks for the great response. I am checking out some other textures around to get a really good idea of what's needed. My day job is providing technical support for an ISP but I have to tell you that on the UnrealEd side of things, I'm about as bright as a lump of dirt, but I love drawing stuff in PSP and to be honest, Infiltration is the best "game" I've played. At the moment, I'm in the middle of interviews trying to get a real job /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif so please bear with me for a short time while I manage that and an interstate move and THEN I'll be right into it. I've read a few tute's so I'm getting a better idea of the 'correct' way to do it, so I'm keen to start sketching.

btw. Thanks for the emails, I will get to them as soon as I can (obviously, I'll get back to this web sites requests first /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

p.s. I am also working on doing a skin that is the playing gear of my favourite Rugby League team in Australia. Any other aussies out there ?

Andirez
11th Mar 2000, 05:21 PM
A "wild water" texture. Not the usual blue or green water from UT, but something more real (need it for a mountainriver). The waterfall in genfluid.utx would be perfect if it hadn't the black border. Maybe you can edit it for me /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Andirez.

Wanderer
11th Mar 2000, 06:16 PM
If it hasn't been said already then it needs to be said now. Office textures!

theVodkaCircle
11th Mar 2000, 11:26 PM
Don't know how much of this has been done...
But have people tried taking photos of objects (filing cabinets etc) and scanning them in and converting to UT textures ?
I'm going to have a go at something simple and see how it goes.

------------------
Brisbane Broncos
2000 NRL Premiers

Wanderer
12th Mar 2000, 05:12 AM
I know people who've tried it before, you just need to rework the scan so that it tiles properly that's all.

Evil Joe
12th Mar 2000, 05:57 AM
No you don't you just make it seemless in photoshop pro. Digital camera's work better. Trouble with doing this is you have to get take the picture just right. The image has to be perpendicular with the sight line from the camera else the texture won't look right. If it isn't teh texture won't be "flat" on the surface and it will give you a wierd sense of depth when you look at it in game. Also if all the other textures are more "drawn" the photorealistic ones will sort of stick out and vice versa. However, if done well they can be pretty damn cool.

Wanderer
12th Mar 2000, 02:30 PM
Tiles and seamless are the same thing. Besides I don't have Photoshop, just Wally and PSP.

theVodkaCircle
12th Mar 2000, 08:59 PM
Maybe a web-cam with it's lack of clarity compared to a regular camera will blend better with the rest of the textures.
Expect some textures of my furniture /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
Brisbane Broncos
2000 NRL Premiers

Paralax
16th Mar 2000, 01:57 PM
A webbed camoflouge mesh (like they use to hide sniper bunkers) would be cool.

------------------

16th Mar 2000, 02:11 PM
Paralax - Look in DM-DesolateSands theres one in there...
CC

16th Mar 2000, 02:11 PM
Paralax - Look in DM-DesolateSands theres one in there...
CC

Paralax
17th Mar 2000, 12:30 AM
Cha-ching! Thanks...BTW I fixed CommControl. It is 3:12 AM, been at it since 17:00. Girlfriends been yellin' at me since 18:00. Headphones are cool.

------------------