PDA

View Full Version : Beta testing DOM-CommControl

Paralax
10th Mar 2000, 06:35 AM
DOM-CommControl was completely broken. I have completely remade the entire map and made sure that I put together my textures before hand. it is working now. See my post at the end of this thread for links to download the update until the fine folks at Realmaps put what I sent them in the mix.
------------------
That would be me...gettin' fragged.

[This message has been edited by Paralax (edited 03-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Paralax (edited 03-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Paralax (edited 03-16-2000).]

13th Mar 2000, 12:54 PM
Paralax your ZIP is missing a file, and I lost your email. Could you send a new archive to me with the updated file asap? Thanks
CC

------------------
Want to be an Infiltrator? Get the goods at:
http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/

13th Mar 2000, 12:54 PM
Paralax your ZIP is missing a file, and I lost your email. Could you send a new archive to me with the updated file asap? Thanks
CC

------------------

SixUnderground
15th Mar 2000, 04:49 PM
i downloaded the map and it looks cool but it doesnt work. get a missing file for package url etc. message or something

Paralax
15th Mar 2000, 05:36 PM
I am not sure exactly what I have done here but I have come to the conclusion that I have hosed the map. I have unloaded all the custom (downloaded) texture packs from my textures dir and tried to run the map myself. I get the same errors. I think you have to pick out which textures you have to use, export them, create a new texture pack and import those same textures into the new pack. You then have to use the new pack when applying textures so UT doesn't look for files associated with whichever pack you initially were using. I have been attempting to get an answer to this question but to-date I haven't found a Yoda for my Jedi questions. I am going to try my experimment and completely rework the map from the ground up incorporating some suggestions CoffeyCan gave me. I will have it done NLT Friday at 22:00 my time. It is Wednesday 20:00 for me right now. If I can completely ignore sleep I may have it finished by tomorrow, but I won't promise that. I have read a few tutorials but none covered the problem I am having now. I apologize to anyone who has wasted their time downloading this map.

------------------

RegularX
15th Mar 2000, 06:39 PM
Heres some pointers, Paralax, because I did something very similar in Fulton:

1)My mistake was thinking that UED links only to texture files it uses. That doesn't seem to be true, it links to all the files the map has *used*. So even if you stop using the texture in the map, you'll notice it in your texture browser.

2)Apparently the only way to 'kill' a texture dependancy is to remove all the textures for that file in your texture browser. Highlight the texture you are no longer and 'remove' or 'delete' (cant remember). Once all the textures are gone for that class/file, it will remove the dependancy when it saves.

So what I ended up doing (mostly thank as well to suggestions by CC /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif was to export all the custom textures, import them into a single file, change all of the textures in the map to the new file and then remove all the original textures from the texture browser.

Real problem is that VB is about as stable as my ex-girlfriend on lithium. I had to restart UED like 5 times every time I tried to delete the textures.

15th Mar 2000, 07:10 PM
"Real problem is that VB is about as stable as my ex-girlfriend on lithium." - That is a great quote /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I cant wait to use it...
CC

------------------

15th Mar 2000, 07:10 PM
"Real problem is that VB is about as stable as my ex-girlfriend on lithium." - That is a great quote /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I cant wait to use it...
CC

------------------

Paralax
16th Mar 2000, 05:33 AM
Regular X - thanks for the tips. If it wasn't registration week here I would be out the door fixin' thangs right now. As it is I will attempt to make the fixes tonight and give CC a fixed map. I think I will hold off on completely remaking the map unless it is absolutely necessary.

------------------

Paralax
16th Mar 2000, 10:47 AM
I tried deleting the texture to eliminate the dependency. I was able to eliminate the dependency...but every time I tried to save I got a General Protection fault critical error. I tried this 7 times during my lunch break...very frustrating. I have resolved to remake the map using only the texture package I created, this way I don't have this problem. Thanks to all for the help. Friday 22:00 I should be done...hopefully. The map should be cooler too, if I am going to rebuild it I might as well make it better. Ignorance is not bliss, I sure as hell wish I would have known about this before I even started.

------------------

RegularX
16th Mar 2000, 05:56 PM
Yeah, that is almost *exactly* what happened to me. I think this is happening to mappers who are trying for realism more because I know I ended up mixing and matching a lot more with Fulton than any my other attempts. I don't really remember if I found any way around it other than just reloading UED and trying again though /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

bastard_o
16th Mar 2000, 09:48 PM
Sorry just got to add my input on this thread...

1) It is rather difficult to find all of one texture... one way is to hi-Light texture <Shift><T> this should hi-light them all and then clicking on a new texture within the texture palette, this SHOULD replace them all, ha, it seems NOT to sometimes.

2) Remember some of the default behaviour of the editor, there maybe many textures that you never see but are being used, hidden surfaces etc.

3) Never name a texture as the same name as a texture from another package, there is a Unrealed bug regarding this, sometimes it can't work out which one you mean, hence the GPF.

4) Please don't run down VB, if it wan't for VB UnrealEd would not have been constructed a quickly as it was, VB one of the many IDE that are excellent for prototyping applications, sadly Tim had no time to build a faster (Only faster I must add C++ version)

Please remember that UnrealEd is only a very small exe file, some if not all of the engine and class logic is held within C++ DLL's, the VB IDE or langauge is NOT responsible for the UnRealEd crashes at all, the crashes are only caused by small programming errors, ha which we all make now and again, I should know I have made a few in my 25 years programming in the 8 programming langauges that I use.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Bastard'O

PS. Oh yer Please could you guys remember to apply detail textures to each images that you add to any custom texture packs that you create.... Looks much better. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Paralax
17th Mar 2000, 12:23 AM
Thanks for all the help...I really appreciate it. I have rebuilt CommControl from the ground up. It is ready for testing finally. Many thanks for the BETA section without it I would not have had a chance to learn what I have. many thanks to the forums without which I would have not received the guidance and knowledge necessary to overcoming this obstacle.

I have the map and textures posted separately on my site (because I can't upload more than 500k at a time...grrr)

Here are the links

CommControl Map (http://paralaxanomaly.freeservers.com\DOM-CommControl_beta4.zip)

CommControl Textures (http://paralaxanomaly.freeservers.com\CommControlTextures.zip)

About 513KB total download.
I sent the fix to CoffeyCan so hopefully the link on the beta page will be updated soon. Realmaps rules they really help to get maps out for people to test and enjoy. They also let us newbies know when we are hosing stuff up.

------------------

Paralax
17th Mar 2000, 12:23 AM
Thanks for all the help...I really appreciate it. I have rebuilt CommControl from the ground up. It is ready for testing finally. Many thanks for the BETA section without it I would not have had a chance to learn what I have. many thanks to the forums without which I would have not received the guidance and knowledge necessary to overcoming this obstacle.

I have the map and textures posted separately on my site (because I can't upload more than 500k at a time...grrr)

Here are the links

CommControl Map (http://paralaxanomaly.freeservers.com\DOM-CommControl_beta4.zip)

CommControl Textures (http://paralaxanomaly.freeservers.com\CommControlTextures.zip)

About 513KB total download.
I sent the fix to CoffeyCan so hopefully the link on the beta page will be updated soon. Realmaps rules they really help to get maps out for people to test and enjoy. They also let us newbies know when we are hosing stuff up.

------------------