PDA

View Full Version : MAPPERS READ!!!!!

Buddy_Pickle
18th Mar 2000, 01:37 PM
I have a small suggestion to each of you out there working on some realworld maps for Infiltration...

There are so few maps designed like this, that I feel I should bring it up.

Please, someone work on a map design where TeamDeathMatch mode (or team standoff) can be played. But most importanly, do this:

Create a building or house or bunker or whatever, that contains a basic armory. (Pistol, shotgun, 1 grenade) Do the same for the team on the outside coming in. (In a truck for example.)

Now create shacks or storage areas scattered throughout the map with more arms. (Since they are out in the open, making you a bit more vulnerable, place better "more rewarding" arms in them. i.e. HK69, M16, MP5, Robar.)

I have two reasons for recomending this design. There is a tendancy for mappers to create maps in the same way they would for Quake or UT. (Scatter weapons throughout the map, let people pick them up as needed, etc.)

My first reason is realism. When in the holy crap are you going to be storming a house, with the added luxury of guns just laying about? Not very realistic.... (Abvously ver 3.0 will fix this with loadout, but I am talking about the hear and now.)

Second reason is for strategy...You have to really have a plan to get out to the storage areas and take guns that give you the upper hand. And this is just plain fun, especially with only one life to spare.

Anyway, someone do it and we will give you some serious exposure on the RealMaps site.

BuddyPickle
Really? www.planetunreal.com/realmaps (http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps)

bastard_o
18th Mar 2000, 05:41 PM
Sounds like HillBase to me Buddy... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Question... I forget at the moment... Do you get bSpawnInTeamAreas with the InfTeamGame game type, I know standard doesn't support this hence why Beppo and I created the Enhanced TeamGame /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif...

I agree with your request lets move anyway from the standard deathmatch levels, The TeamGame is my bag, I only play DM if I want a completely manice Inf_UT game, but I get bored with DM very quickly...

Room to room stuff is dead IMHO....

Come on guys lets see some levels like BP described... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bastard'O

Paralax
18th Mar 2000, 07:31 PM
Some of this I did with DOM-CommControl...ie. most of the weapons are in the buildings...some on shelves others on the floor (I know, this is not very realistic, I wouldn't set my M16 on the dirty-ass floor either). But for the most part they are not set randomly throughout the level. I like think of the weapons on top of crates as being initially 'in the crates'...since you can't pull the lids off the boxes.
However I am also at fault here in that realisticly you would have to get some keys or blow a lock to get guns...especially anywhere around a military installation. You would have to go through some serious **** to get some guns at the base I am near. This would be a good assualt objective...get the guns to do the job, then do the job.
Point taken...I will attempt to adhere to more realistic weapon placement in my future endeavors.

------------------
That would be me...gettin' fragged.

[This message has been edited by Paralax (edited 03-18-2000).]

Chand
19th Mar 2000, 04:23 AM
Well...AS-Troopers had from day 1 an armory building for the defenders and crates of goodies right next to the attackers playerstarts...

Buddy_Pickle is right... gotta map with that in mind. It's a very subtle thing, but it helps to the overall.

------------------
This is your brain...
THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON INF... (bold /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

Buddy_Pickle
19th Mar 2000, 12:54 PM
I've been thinking a little more about this, and it seems that people need to just put some Assault thinking into Deathmatch map making...

But here is another thought: (To you coders out there.) Someone make a tiny mutator that allows you ONLY to pick up TWO guns at a time. (Pistol + MP5 or M16 + HK69, or whatever.) Not only will this get people used the to the kind of gun options in ver 3.0 (more or less), but it will really add to the tension of what strategy to use, and what role to play on the team. (Sniper vs. running in like a maniac!)

If someone does this, keep in mind that it might be smart to give the player the ability to drop their current weapon and pic up a new one. Let us bind a key or something.

All of this would work well I think with the map design concepts I laid out in the first post.

BuddyPickle
Really? www.planetunreal.com/realmaps (http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps)

Robes
19th Mar 2000, 03:22 PM
I've always liked the idea of having a base with an armoury and health centre except I can never get the bots to play them. As far as I can tell the bots only really visit areas of a map where there are items for them to collect. Basically this means that they will never venture outside their own base. Of course, there is probably some way around this. The closest thing I found was a pathnodes desirability level, but changing the value never seemed to influence the bots routes.

WHat am I doing wrong?

------------------
-Robes
www.blackfoxrecords.co.uk (http://www.blackfoxrecords.co.uk)

theVodkaCircle
19th Mar 2000, 09:12 PM
Great idea pickle !
I think people (well me anyway) use a few weapons that are their favourites and only use other weapons if forced to by no ammo on their favourite guns or if the situation requires it (like sniper rifle for eg). But to restrict it to two would almost be like a new type of assault variation.

[This message has been edited by theVodkaCircle (edited 03-19-2000).]

bastard_o
21st Mar 2000, 05:43 PM
I believe this type of weapon restrictiveness will be in version 3.0, but the way we have planned for this was to give each weapon a weight so you would become very heavy with lots of weapons, the downside being your speed is reduced the more you carry /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

This would help me out, bots are distracted by weapon placements at the moment, so their AI will need to be adjusted for this anyway...