PDA

View Full Version : AS-Troopers ... apology and update

Chand
27th Mar 2000, 10:19 PM
Ok first of all, my apologies to all who might downloaded AS-Troopersbeta2 and found that it didn't work either because of missing texture packs or scripts.

The scripts issue is now corrected, all needed scripts are now included in the new zip. As for textures, well, I can't see any other practical solution than to download the packages you don't have. There are only 5 or 6 texture packs you might run into trouble if you don't have them...

This solution is much better, IMO, than to include everything and force everybody to download a huge file when, for some, there might be no need to.

So download the new zip, please take a good look at the readme file and check your directories for possible missing items. You can download them yourself if you know where they are or just let me know what exactly are you missing and I'll be more than glad to send them your way.

Ok, stated all that, now the good news :

The new beta of AS-Troopers (beta3) is now online for download.

The file includes now all the needed scripts. And, as a small bonus, the map now includes the awesome M2.50 machine gun (2 of them actually). They work really great.

You can grab the zip file for the map at :

http://www.planetchandler.com/utshrine/AS-Troopersbeta3.zip

Try it and let me know of any difficulties you might have to run it or once you run it any bugs or issues you notice so I can correct them.

Thanks a lot and have fun !

------------------
This is your brain...
THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON INF... (bold /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

Lance201
28th Mar 2000, 06:04 AM
where do I find this textures to download??

LCPL TWENTY

Lance201
28th Mar 2000, 06:13 AM
Suggestion. please make a texturepack and load it up for download...

LCPL TWENTY

Chand
28th Mar 2000, 08:00 AM
Like I said...check out what packages you're missing and you can either download them from NaliCity or let me know which ones and I'll send them to you...

The thing is, sadly, to get the results I wanted I had to use just a couple of textures from several texpacks I had... 3 at the most.

I oversighted this during construction and realized because Bastard'O was kind enough to give it a try and point me the problem... but it was already too late.

I'm on DSL and, just personally, wouldn't mind uploading a 20+ Mb zip file with ALL the texture packs used (even if the map actually asks for 1 or 2 from each one). I know most people are on 56K and that'd be criminal.

Since I already fscked up with the texture packaging of the map, I can't just fsck up again and post a file so huge nobody will ever even try to DL...

That's why I said...check your texture packs and download the ones you're missing. It might be a heavy download in some cases (some packs are 2+ Mb) but it's better to do that than download 20 megs at once. Plus, you got the benefit that you'd already have the texture pack installed in case you run across any other map that uses that texture pack and doesn't have it included. I know I've been in that situation before.

As for applying a more drastic solution (i.e., pack the used textures in a separate custom pack and the retex the ENTIRE map so the textures point correctly to the custom pack), I don't think I could do that due to RL time constraints... I'd love to do that and I think it'd work. I just don't have the time right now.

Again I apologize for the inconveniences...but I offer a solution that, though it's probably not the best one, it's a nice compromise.

I promise it won't happen again... I just gotta stop watching the Teletubbies while mapping. It's bad. Really bad....

------------------
This is your brain...

Paralax
29th Mar 2000, 04:59 AM
Chand,
Dude...this is exactly what happened to me. I feel for you. Would you post a list of the texture packs you used? I have a ton of textures so I probably have them. Anyway as far as ripping the textures, creating your own custom pack and retexturing the entire level...I tried to no avail, about 30 times. The problem is that UEd still associates all texturew files used (seen or not) with your map unless you can delete the textures from the browser window one at a time until the association with thew texture pack is eliminated. The problem I had with this is that UEd would crash randomly, and would also give me a General Protection fault error without fail everytiem i tried to save the level after 'killing' the texture file associations. Unless you want to rebuild ytour entire level the only option is to let us know what textures we need.
I just wanted to let you know about the file association thing...it is a real pain in the a$$. RegularX broke it down for me and I guess was able to kill the associations in his DM-FultonRl, but I was not as lucky.
Now I do alot more plannning and put my texture packs together before I start building. This way if I include some stuff I don't use I can eliminate it easily (as long as you don't use the textures ever, you are in the green). This has increased the time of the planning phase but drastically shortened the time of the building phase. It took me roughly 10 hours to rebuild/remake CommControl. I will download AS-Troopers tonight and run through it. The readme includes all the info right?
Anyway, hope some of this info was useful.

------------------
That would be me...gettin' fragged.

Chand
29th Mar 2000, 07:14 AM
Thanks a lot, Parallax... I did NOT know about these issues UEd has with retexing this way. You saved me a lot of time even if I had time to do it in the first place /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And yes, the only solution when a mapper fscks up like this (to use a friendly term /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) is to redo the entire level again. Not only it's time consuming... it's also a downer 'cos you're doing all the same again. Probably in a map as simple as Troopers it'd be ok...but some others aren't that ok.

The readme included in the zip has the listing of all the non-standard packs needed (non-standard as in 'not installed with UT'). If you're cut from the same branch as me (which I suspect /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) I'm sure you have them all...since all came from maps that I downloaded. But again, all the info is in the readme.

Thanks a lot again for the advice... I gotta start throwing some more money to the little guys in my brain in charge of preplanning a map. That department is lacking... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And of course, stop watching the teletubbies...

------------------
This is your brain...

-Lost-
29th Mar 2000, 12:47 PM
to get rid of texture file associations, export your map and quit ued. open it up again and load the texture packs that you do want. then import the map and rebuild and it should be good, but you might have to retexture a few polys, but it is MUCH easier than remaking a level /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lost

Gunslinger
29th Mar 2000, 01:49 PM
Hey I played your map. Great Fun! (As Bastard'O would say). I like your use of team cannons and that Tank was very cool, any chance your going to make custom textures for it?

Lance201
30th Mar 2000, 07:51 AM
Could you just give me the link where to download them at nalicity???

LCPL TWENTY

RegularX
5th Apr 2000, 02:01 AM
Ergh! Wish I had known that trick earlier, Lost! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Yeah, this little mess-up seems to be kinda common with RL mapping. My next planning strategy is to:

1) Only design with normal UT textures at first. Usually I don't try to texture until I'm pretty happy with the brushes anyway
2) Dig through the fab RealWorld textures to see what I like.
3) Export those textures into a custom pak and use that from the start.

This has become a top pet peeve of mine with UED, since it remembers the texture assignment from the first time you use it, it seems. Not sure how more experienced-than-I mappers (read: 98% of them) do it, but I'm definately not going to fall into the trap again /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif