PDA

View Full Version : INF map with Counter-Strike textures

TWisT
2nd Apr 2000, 08:38 PM
You heard me, i noticed on the screenshots on the INF front page, that it uses OFFICIAL COUNTER-STRIKE TEXTURES. Thats stealing or what some people would call, Ripping. Its VERY easy to see it when your a hard core CS fan like me. The LEAST the auther of that map could have done, is to ASK the auther of those textures.

Breydel
2nd Apr 2000, 09:35 PM
I know what you mean. The author didn't even mention anything about DE_Dust. It's great to have an outdoor map for UT in sunny daylights but it looks exactly the same. Not only the textures but also large partions of the map.

But anyways, that map is one I'm eagerly looking forward to.

Andirez
2nd Apr 2000, 09:44 PM
The map isn't even released yet, so what are you nagging about ? You haven't got a single clue what's in the readme and yet you are already accusing RaekwoN of ripping and not giving credits. Unless you ARE the author of de_dust, you can't possibly know wether or not RaekwoN contacted him.

------------------
Name : Andirez

funkstylz
2nd Apr 2000, 09:56 PM
Who cares...are they copyrighted?

2nd Apr 2000, 11:52 PM
1. Your post is in the wrong forum, it belongs in the mapping section.

2. funkstlyz is right no copyright = anyone can use. I dont see you complaining about the fact that Coke logo or Dortios bags are used.

3. GET SOME RESPECT. Do you know the person that made the textures, the CS team, the INF team or RaekwoN? DO NOT come on the board and say anything that you cant back up or arent informed about. Lastly, the only reason that you say the above things is that its not face to face. I doubt you would be able to say the above to RaekwoN's or anyone elses face. The lack of respect that people like you show at times disgusts me, the only reason that it happens is because its a message board, not the real world. While in the end it may have no effect, I will not sit idly by and watch the community denengrate into bashing and name calling.
CC

------------------
Want to be an Infiltrator? Get the goods at:
http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/

2nd Apr 2000, 11:52 PM
1. Your post is in the wrong forum, it belongs in the mapping section.

2. funkstlyz is right no copyright = anyone can use. I dont see you complaining about the fact that Coke logo or Dortios bags are used.

3. GET SOME RESPECT. Do you know the person that made the textures, the CS team, the INF team or RaekwoN? DO NOT come on the board and say anything that you cant back up or arent informed about. Lastly, the only reason that you say the above things is that its not face to face. I doubt you would be able to say the above to RaekwoN's or anyone elses face. The lack of respect that people like you show at times disgusts me, the only reason that it happens is because its a message board, not the real world. While in the end it may have no effect, I will not sit idly by and watch the community denengrate into bashing and name calling.
CC

------------------
Want to be an Infiltrator? Get the goods at:
http://www.planetunreal.com/realmaps/

Mr. T
3rd Apr 2000, 12:26 AM
Well, at least you qualified yourself as being a hardcore CS fan. Now, I can rest easy being assured your post is based on factual information, and I can understand why you would be so emotionally involved with this issue. After all, you're a hardcore CS fan.

*sigh* I'm sorry, I didn't want to even reply to this post. How about this - Let's just all enjoy the games being developed out there, and not let these things bother us. They're all free mods. What is there to be so concerned about? Let's just play them and have fun doing it. I want have fun and enjoy playing/discussing these games in my free time. - Anger, hostility, frustration. I get enough of that at work. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Eliwar
3rd Apr 2000, 01:14 AM
And if my memory serves me correctly, Raekwon did mention that he was basing it off of DE_Dust. Yes, he actually said the name so he admitting that he did not make up the idea of the map and he's not trying to pass it off as his own. That should make you feel proud of "your" mod, sinse you feel so close to everyone responsible for Counter Strike.

You know what, I finally played CS (last dl of CS i made was back in beta2, completely sucked) and I find it to be very fun. Just shows how open MOST of INF's fans are open minded to other mods, we have evolved from the little incidents of a month or so ago.

------------------
What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?!!
Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough
attention when you were a child?!!!
*BANG* -FMJ

Gryphon
3rd Apr 2000, 01:21 AM
**Thread moved to Mapping Discussion**

------------------
::Gryphon::
Infiltration Team
Weapons Technical Advisor

Evil Joe
3rd Apr 2000, 03:28 AM
*LMAO* Dude wake up and smell the coffee mappers get textures wherever they can. Most, like myself, give the texture artist credit (for me I have two friends who do all my texture work for me). Raekwon hasn't even released the map so chill, how do you know he doesn't credit anyone. And lastly (and I don't know this for a fact) but is cs even copyrighted?

I'm not saying its cool to rip textures w/o due credit or asking nicely BUT I'm saying their isn't much anyone can do about it. Me I'm like people can rip whatever they want off my maps (brushes, textures, ideas, the whole map) too me that is just flattering that they though my map was good enough or that my friends textures where good enough. Lastly, your probably right but get a life you don't work on the cs team so chill!

hunchback
3rd Apr 2000, 04:48 AM
You guys need to get your facts straight. Your work is copyrighted the second you finish making it. You can register it with the Copyright Office if you want, but that only serves to prove that you were the one who created it originally. If textures are not public domain or under a similar license, and you don't have the author's permission to redistribute them or incorporate them into your own work, you can't. Period.

Please note that I know nothing about these particular circumstances. I'm assuming that RaekwoN contacted the author of de_dust and got permission before using the textures. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

disturbed
3rd Apr 2000, 04:55 AM
It's people like you that give newbies a bad name. Shaddup before you embarass yourself any further.

Um... can someone close this thread?

------------------
Jon Merriman
The Research Center
http://www.research-center.org/

Evil Joe
3rd Apr 2000, 06:16 AM
*LMAO* hunchback... welcome to the real world, nothing is copyrighted unless you get it copyrighted...

RaekwoN
3rd Apr 2000, 06:48 AM
Official Response:

Ok, I am the author of the map in question, DustCity. If you look at the name of the map very closely you may notice that it contains the word 'dust'. Now you will also notice that the map looks similar in style to de_dust the ever popular CS map. The link?

I was playing CS one day, I came across de_dust many many times and I decided to make something similar in style, the inspiration was enourmous, too much to ignore.

So I proceeded with the development, at first using the textures from the original map. After a while I began to realise that I would need to change these in order to release it. So you will notice, if you look carefully enough that about 50% of the textures in the current screenshots have been changed significantly.

So the accusations of ripping are no longer true. Also I have recently contacted MacMan, the texture artist who created the textures for de_dust. As well as Cliffe (head of PR), and the mapper of dust. If they allow me to use the textures I may use some, I may not use others. To be honest I like the ones I created.

Also if I end up using the textures created by MacMan, of course full credit will be given to him.

If I wanted I could quite simply take the textures, however I have chosen to do so. As well as that, even if they were copyrighted (which they are not) in order to use them without legal implications it only requires a 5% change to the work to make it legal.

My advice to those who threw slurs at me quite hastily, look into what you are talking about before you go public. CoffeyCan has a point, if you wouldn't say it in Real Life, refrain from saying it here.

------------------
RaekwoN
Infiltration Level Designer
Visit RaekwoN Maps (http://www.planetunreal.com/raekwon)

RaekwoN
3rd Apr 2000, 06:48 AM
Official Response:

Ok, I am the author of the map in question, DustCity. If you look at the name of the map very closely you may notice that it contains the word 'dust'. Now you will also notice that the map looks similar in style to de_dust the ever popular CS map. The link?

I was playing CS one day, I came across de_dust many many times and I decided to make something similar in style, the inspiration was enourmous, too much to ignore.

So I proceeded with the development, at first using the textures from the original map. After a while I began to realise that I would need to change these in order to release it. So you will notice, if you look carefully enough that about 50% of the textures in the current screenshots have been changed significantly.

So the accusations of ripping are no longer true. Also I have recently contacted MacMan, the texture artist who created the textures for de_dust. As well as Cliffe (head of PR), and the mapper of dust. If they allow me to use the textures I may use some, I may not use others. To be honest I like the ones I created.

Also if I end up using the textures created by MacMan, of course full credit will be given to him.

If I wanted I could quite simply take the textures, however I have chosen to do so. As well as that, even if they were copyrighted (which they are not) in order to use them without legal implications it only requires a 5% change to the work to make it legal.

My advice to those who threw slurs at me quite hastily, look into what you are talking about before you go public. CoffeyCan has a point, if you wouldn't say it in Real Life, refrain from saying it here.

------------------
RaekwoN
Infiltration Level Designer
Visit RaekwoN Maps (http://www.planetunreal.com/raekwon)